turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Last night I walked at the Luminary Loppet which helps fund outdoor activities for underserved youths. At the trailhead it was 6 degrees and -12 with the wind chill. It was a 3 mile trail that we cut a little short in some places bc of the wind.

I prefer to run hot, which does make it tough to live where it can get so cold.

2 pairs of socks
Winter boots
Base layer pants
Jeans
Thin heat-keep shirt
Thick mid-layer shirt
Flannel
Vest
Heat-keep coat
Beanie
Trapper hat
Thin heat-keep gloves
Gloves with hand warmers
Outer pair of gloves with cinches

Warmed up nicely afterward with some delicious dark beer and euchre!

1612623930071.png

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I hope your keeping the mustang bundled up at night with those cold temperatures....

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Staying on the weather subject , I came into work this morning to catch up on some things . 30 deg low with a forecast high of 70 ...............Got to love AZ weather in the winter ..........not so much in the summer , but it is a dry heat ......... pic of the view with our sunrises .
Resized_20210207_065223 (1).jpeg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Got to love AZ weather in the winter ..........not so much in the summer , but it is a dry heat .........
So is a blowtorch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Since it's been cold out, I've found time to strum the pages of the NHRA rule book. Although the track officials haven't given me any grief on my battery setup so far, I think I'll update it to meet the requirements of 9.99 or faster.

Here's my plan, I'm sharing for feedback and anything I may be missing, so feel free to chime in.
  • Sealed battery box mounted in trunk. Since the battery will no longer be behind a firewall, it needs to be sealed in a box and vented out of the car. Thinking the Summit premium box.
  • Push/pull master power disconnect switch with lever kit. Must be able to kill the car when running. Ordered a Flaming River setup.
  • Etx18l power sports battery, AGM. Thinking Deka.
  • Going to run the negative battery terminal to a ground location in the trunk with a short lead, 2 gauge.
  • Going to run from the positive battery terminal to a fuse holder, from the fuse holder to one of the posts on the disconnect switch, 2 gauge.
  • Going to run the alternator output to the same post on the disconnect switch as the positive battery lead with an in-line fuse close to the disconnect, 2 gauge. So the alternator will now no longer connect to C1035B on the fuse box under the hood.
  • Going to run from the opposite side of the disconnect switch to a set of remote battery posts where the battery used to be under the hood, 2 gauge.
  • The remote battery posts will accept the factory battery cables. The negative side will go to ground and as previously mentioned the positive side runs back to the disconnect switch.
  • Going to re-route the fuel pump power from under the hood to the battery in the trunk.
When the lever on the disconnect switch is pushed in, it will isolate the battery and alternator voltage from the car 100%.

If you are more visual, like me, here you go:

1613336325923.png

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On another note , hope you caught that . Lol . Looking at what you drew up , looks good . Might want to consider cutting the neg instead of the pos . Some ideas attached .
20210214_154916.jpg

Since it's been cold out, I've found time to strum the pages of the NHRA rule book. Although the track officials haven't given me any grief on my battery setup so far, I think I'll update it to meet the requirements of 9.99 or faster.

Here's my plan, I'm sharing for feedback and anything I may be missing, so feel free to chime in.
  • Sealed battery box mounted in trunk. Since the battery will no longer be behind a firewall, it needs to be sealed in a box and vented out of the car. Thinking the Summit premium box.
  • Push/pull master power disconnect switch with lever kit. Must be able to kill the car when running. Ordered a Flaming River setup.
  • Etx18l power sports battery, AGM. Thinking Deka.
  • Going to run the negative battery terminal to a ground location in the trunk with a short lead, 2 gauge.
  • Going to run from the positive battery terminal to a fuse holder, from the fuse holder to one of the posts on the disconnect switch, 2 gauge.
  • Going to run the alternator output to the same post on the disconnect switch as the positive battery lead with an in-line fuse close to the disconnect, 2 gauge. So the alternator will now no longer connect to C1035B on the fuse box under the hood.
  • Going to run from the opposite side of the disconnect switch to a set of remote battery posts where the battery used to be under the hood, 2 gauge.
  • The remote battery posts will accept the factory battery cables. The negative side will go to ground and as previously mentioned the positive side runs back to the disconnect switch.
  • Going to re-route the fuel pump power from under the hood to the battery in the trunk.
When the lever on the disconnect switch is pushed in, it will isolate the battery and alternator voltage from the car 100%.

If you are more visual, like me, here you go:

1613336325923.png
20210214_154916.jpg

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Neg switch is always better ........ fools lol

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Why don't you just keep the battery in the stock location, then you dont have to do anything

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Pretty sure the disconnect applies only if the battery is relocated from the stock position

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the disconnect applies only if the battery is relocated from the stock position
That is my understanding as well. Depending on the class, cutoff only shows to be needed if battery is in the trunk and in some classes is needed if battery was moved from factory location (trunk not being singled out).

There are also specifications needing to be followed depending on the type of cutoff (ex: push/pull requires cutoff to be push activated).

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Yeah you guys are right. I thought the verbiage changed that regardless of location the switch needed to be added. Outside of class rules, just general requirements for exhibition, it can stay exactly like it is.
Sponsored