turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Back to painting, two more coats are in the books. Also painted the rear parachute bar with POR15. No pics tonight though.
Sponsored

ben@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Turbo
To give an update on the roll cage, the FatHouseFab kit has provided quite the list of obstacles for the local fab shop putting it in. I'll do a more complete update when I have more pics, but the fab shop is disappointed and said FatHouse was not helpful over the phone.

Here's the quote: "Yeah I'm not very impressed especially for the price. They were not very helpful on the phone either didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. But fortunately the NHRA rep was here today and did certify it."
First of all thank you for your order of the cage kit, we appreciate your business!

We do our best to maintain the highest quality possible on these kits and I always welcome any feedback. If bars were wrong in the kit I apologize and would have been happy to make it right, however I do not recall anyone reaching out about any of these issues. The main hoops usually have a little twist to them, when you have 10 bends in a hoop like that even a half of a degree can make it do that. That one looks worse than normal though and it should have been caught.

Please have your chassis guy reach out to me about any other concerns he has or parts that didnt fit right so I can make corrections. We have installed them here numerous times and fit was on point.

I do remember speaking with him on the phone. We were traveling to Mod Nats when he called the shop, I called him back from my cell phone to try and help answer some questions. I believe he was disappointed that we didnt have a step by step guide to installing the kit. I told him we are working on getting one done and gave him the notes I could remember over the phone.

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
First of all thank you for your order of the cage kit, we appreciate your business!
@ben@fatfab

Thanks for taking the time to respond here. I'm happy the cage is in the car and is certified. I think everyone had the best intentions in mind and wanted the same thing, a quality product that meets/exceeds the needs and keeps people safe. The output will get the job done, just some things didn't go as well as they could which will impact some of the usability and my pocketbook. So in service of feedback:
  • Two of the same side d-bars being provided resulted in the d-bars being cut down and are now shorter than intended
  • There wasn't a way to mount the window net bottom, I have ordered parts from All-Star to finish the job
  • The additional hours spent working with the hoop, I appreciate you saying it shouldn't have been sent out, however, it was sent to me
  • The door bars were bent differently and were different lengths plus the added twist in the hoop caused the door bars to be cut shorter and are higher up than intended which means a little more challenge sliding into and out of the car
  • The windshield top bar was too long, may have been from the twist in hoop and result of everything else, but it needed to be cut and coped
In the end it's just time and money going toward my safety.

I just ordered (cyber monday sale) another fathousefab seat mount to match the driver side I have from you. I enjoy your products, this experience was just tougher than I'd hoped. Every story has two sides, thanks for talking to the shop despite your schedule and their expectations.

Looking forward to getting the car out of the garage in the spring and showcasing the FatHouseFab and other vendor products I was able to install over winter as I am clipping off fast slips.

ben@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Turbo
Thank you for posting the feedback, I will address these concerns right away with production and see where the issue lies. Let me know next time you plan to order something and I will give you a discount. I know it wont make up for the extra work but I hope it helps a little.

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Placed an order at Summit for 4 lengths of Wildside Composites carbon/fiberglass tube protectors. Getting ready to pull the plastic/masking tape and start refitting the interior in.

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Working on fitting the carbon tube protectors. They aren't attached yet, just test fitting.

Thought I'd throw up some current state pics since I haven't in a while:

paintedcage.jpg
paintedcage1.jpg
paintedcage2.jpg
paintedcage3.jpg
paintedcage4.jpg
paintedcage5.jpg

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
What's your plan for the engine?
I haven't really pushed it yet. I'm seeing the stock engine go faster than my cage is even certified for, not that will be my experience/luck. May run it into the ground. I've been watching the news on the predator, iron, and billet blocks as options in the future. I plan to invest in a stout long block at some point.

Winter is tough..I'm spinning on a bunch of decisions since the car is just sitting here. I'm back to thinking the procharger isn't going to take me where I want to go. To carry good power right up the limit across the band will be better served by a turbo setup than my current setup. On the other hand, I do like the idea of running out the p1x and taking a turn with an f1a-94.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
What is the goal? 8.70s is possible with stock engine and p1x. I'd like to think you are wanting to go faster tho. With that being said, procharger has solutions!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
What is the goal? 8.70s is possible with stock engine and p1x. I'd like to think you are wanting to go faster tho. With that being said, procharger has solutions!!!
I don't see an end in sight right now, just continued progress over time.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Dont be dumb, all the fast guys have turbos.

OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
OP
OP
turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
2020 is going to be interesting, lots of folks stepping it up. Can't wait to see what you do with this car!
I put a big part of the spending budget in the Mustang in 2019. 2020 is my wife and I's 10 year wedding anniversary and a significant portion of the budget is going toward that. She wanted to take our families and friends on a Disney Cruise to Alaska and renew our vows on the ship.. 2020 will be a more modest year for the Mustang - doesn't mean I won't try to go all out. :rockon:
Sponsored