Sponsored

2018 Ported intake mani options? VMP/Lethal/Beef/AutoMafia? & plz comment on my build options :)

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Anyone see any real data between these 4 options I've seen around? Not sure who to go with, won't be going VMP because their pricing is way out there compared to the rest.

Warranty is finally up and i'm starting to purchase my engine mods, of which will be a ported 2018 intake retaining IMRC, Full ARH exhaust (already have the catback), haven't decided on CAI yet (Steeda/GT350/Buillit/2018?), for tuning I haven't decided on AED or PBD yet? Is changing out the throttle body worth any gains? Trying to not lose much down low and keep the gains midrange on up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I cannot advise you on who to port a 2018+ intake manifold.

I cannot advise you on who to do the tuning (AED vs. PBD) as I am tuned by LUND Racing.

I can give you some advice on the other mods you asked about:

1. Ditch the IMRC function on the 2018+ manifold. Just lock them out and have your tuner adjust accordingly. Keeping the IMRC's is asking for nothing but potential headaches and keeping them functioning gains you nothing. They are there for emissions reasons. They serve no performance function.

2. Use a GT350 cold-air intake, or better yet a stock 2018+ cold-air intake. The 2018+ CAI is substantially larger than the '15-'17 CAI, and it is truly "cold-air".

3. Stick with the stock throttle body. A larger throttle body will give you no HP or TQ gains whatsoever. NONE. The stock TB flows more than enough air to support whatever NA mods you are going to add to your car.

OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I cannot advise you on who to port a 2018+ intake manifold.

I cannot advise you on who to do the tuning (AED vs. PBD) as I am tuned by LUND Racing.

I can give you some advice on the other mods you asked about:

1. Ditch the IMRC function on the 2018+ manifold. Just lock them out and have your tuner adjust accordingly. Keeping the IMRC's is asking for nothing but potential headaches and keeping them functioning gains you nothing. They are there for emissions reasons. They serve no performance function.

2. Use a GT350 cold-air intake, or better yet a stock 2018+ cold-air intake. The 2018+ CAI is substantially larger than the '15-'17 CAI, and it is truly "cold-air".

3. Stick with the stock throttle body. A larger throttle body will give you no HP or TQ gains whatsoever. NONE. The stock TB flows more than enough air to support whatever NA mods you are going to add to your car.
1. IMRC in cars is typically more than just emissions. It also gives you better part throttle tq and drive ability a lot of the time. Now yea I understand WOT the blades are full open but if I can keep them and the tuner I chose can account for them, then I’d rather retain them. Now if I encounter issues that are too frustrating to fix or can’t be fixed then yea I’ll lock them out but again I’d rather retain their function if possible

2. Yea I had been reading those two options seem the best. Cost for the CAI isn’t an issue, at least $ saved using an 18 cai. As far as they go I’m curious as to if the Steeda performs better as it retains a closed system and is basically just an even larger version of both oems? Or it’s better than their open version @SteedaTech ....if they truly aren’t better than I’d save the money and go with the 18. In the end I want the best gains overall as I’m staying NA do a while. Eventually I may do a centri SC. Not sure where PMAS fits but it seems there is less hype with them now

3. Thanks and yea only thing I’ve ever see is you can get better results with the 350 mani utilizing the mated TB, unless theres data out there showing gains without losses, I won’t be going that route.

again goal is to maximize NA gains without head work and cams (which seem to not bear much fruit on a fbo motor, more losses than gains) cars purpose is fun street driving along with autocross and some track time. Also, I don’t care to mod for e85, I don’t see the point as I won’t be utilizing that fuel even remotely regularly...similar to how often I’d throw 93 in my f150 lol and probably less often

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Ported 18 manifold from bret barber

Stock 2018 air box with drop in filter, cant describe enough how many times "cai" has been debated here and how many times stock box has been proven better. Steedas "cai" is just an air lid with a larger tube, and is not compatible with flex tunes just FYI, due to MAF placement. Lethal, Lund, and PBD all recommend staying stock airbox anyways.

Stock throttle body, just dont mess with it, again, theres threads in here from the guys who have and they induced tuning problems.

No need to make any of this complicated, the recipe for every 5.0 out there is basically the same if you are staying NA. Drop in filter, ported 18 manifold, headers, H or X pipe, then your choice of catback. Tune on E85 from either Lund or PBD, then mix in BMR cradle lockout with vert arms and lowering springs/shocks. Add decent tire and dedicated seat time and your done.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ported 18 manifold from bret barber

Stock 2018 air box with drop in filter, cant describe enough how many times "cai" has been debated here and how many times stock box has been proven better. Steedas "cai" is just an air lid with a larger tube, and is not compatible with flex tunes just FYI, due to MAF placement. Lethal, Lund, and PBD all recommend staying stock airbox anyways.

Stock throttle body, just dont mess with it, again, theres threads in here from the guys who have and they induced tuning problems.

No need to make any of this complicated, the recipe for every 5.0 out there is basically the same if you are staying NA. Drop in filter, ported 18 manifold, headers, H or X pipe, then your choice of catback. Tune on E85 from either Lund or PBD, then mix in BMR cradle lockout with vert arms and lowering springs/shocks. Add decent tire and dedicated seat time and your done.
^^^^ THIS

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Running with the Auto Mafia 18 intake. Couldn't argue the $400 price over the $600 Airflow Solutions one. I'm sure there's not a $200 difference in price there performance wise.
Sponsored