Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
I started a separate thread for us Canadian guys as the original thread for Canada seems to have disappeared; but it has to be said this is a Mustang enthusiast forum and there was much interest in when we would get the 2018 Mustangs in Canada. There are also sometimes changes in the cars for different markets like how all the V6 Mustangs got fog lamps standard unlike the ones in the States. The window stickers and charges are different in Canada, so there is interest in this. So there is a reason for a unique thread. Anyway...

2018_Mustang_5.jpg

Well in short they have arrived. Or should I say it has arrived.One single Ecoboost Premium Mustang in Toronto at Yonge Steeles Ford just north of Steeles and Yonge in Toronto.The car presently is at the second back entrance on the south side right up against the sliding gate and is black. I took a really good look at it as I sipped my morning Starbuck mocha and will post the window sticker and other photos as its daylight savings time and anyone that checks this out and works on a weekday will be seeing this thing in the dark.

2018_Mustang_2.jpg

First thing is why on earth is the car not on the showroom floor? There are at least two 2017 5.0s there but not the new 2018?

2018_Mustang_7.jpg

Next was the first impression, which was: Meh! Most people on the street would not see any real difference at all between the 2017 and 2018 models or at best attribute them to differences between the GT and Ecoboost rather than an across the board change.I focused my attention of the exterior changes as the interior changes seemed non-existent.

2018_Mustang_1.jpg

I checked out those headlights and that gap below is not a gap – it just is hollowed out and black – what up with that? The Darth Vader thing below the fog/turn signals is functional with a small port for venting into the wheel well that they made such a big deal about at the launch of the 2015s.

2018_Mustang_6.jpg

2018_Mustang_3.jpg

2018_Mustang_8.jpg

The tall lights are different and more angular in the zig zag motif they have, but the rear end looks pretty much the same. I also didn’t notice the drop or the droop as this is a black car.From an angle at the side I really could not tell they dropped the hood at all and that was most surprising to me.But the big disappointment was that hood.Two things.First is that curvy line that used to go straight back in the pre 2018s.Seriously, that line is not aesthetic and I took philosophy of aesthetics back in university.It should continue to flow straight back.Now that I think about it, the best angles the photographers grappled with to make the car look best seem to be the ones that mask that awkward hood line.The frosted ice covered photo here shows this up nicely.

2018_Mustang_4.jpg

Now the other bitch is those hood vents – or lack thereof. The pre 2018 vents looked better.These look after market.And I could not see any functional cut outs when I got in closer.I called a car jockey to let his young eyes see if there was actually any slits as I was lead to believe they were functional.He said he thinks there were two slits.Two little slits just to make “functional” legal?I wonder if the GTs have more venting?Anyway the hood vents were a disappointment and make me think they are there on all models to distract from the “swervy” hood line.

2018_Mustang_9.jpg

All in all it’s the same Mustang we all love. The design would not impact me one way or another in my decision to purchase it. It just is not that big a deal to me.But this little trip did answer some questions I wondered about after hearing the endless prattle about it for the past like nine months.Personally I think the plain tri-bar motif on the original 2015 is better and is a true iconic accent on the front and back as well as in the interior of those premium models.That zig zag motif looks like change for change sake which is probably what it is.Way less of a change than I expected.Your mileage may vary though.

Here is the location for this car:

Yonge Steeles Ford Lincoln
7120 Yonge Street, Thornhill, On, L4J 1V8
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
The 2017's are on the lot because they want to sell them first.

I really don't like how the fangs on the hood start from the side.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I agree. For months I was going back and forth between waiting for the '18 and the '15-17. At first I was dead set on getting an '18 but the longer I looked at the front end, the less I liked it. Picked up a slightly used '16 GT in June this year, paid cash, and have no regrets. I can only speak from looking at pictures but it just looks too European-sports-car to me. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see one in real life, who knows...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
2018_Mustang_10.jpg

I think both of you guys are correct.

I took a look at some more of the photos I took and came up with this one that most photographers like to shoot. As you can see the sweep to the sides of the two hood creases is not as apparent. It actually looks like they sweep right back like the previous models. The net effect is a more aggressive and attractive appearance.The droopy sad face grill is also less apparent here but that could have been a harder design problem to crack. But the hood design is a no brainer. They should have keep the previous straight back creases which flowed back straight to the windshield and the side hood lines that flowed straight back into the doors. The lengthy hood vents of the previous model also look better. Frankly they should have just kept the 2015 GT hood and dropped the front 20mm and have been done with it. You see all sorts of cars with the aggressive hood creases and they all go straight back. And the reason why is classic automotive design.

Every now and then some idiot tries to reinvent the wheel; and guess what, the design fails! BTW: I hate the wheels on that car but those can be changed easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtpGVhFsZSY&feature=share

Sponsored

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I was lucky to see near Montreal a week ago the new orange fury color

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Last edited:

stangjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I saw it at boisvert ford

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just receive mine today
Nice colour, i really like to see those mags in reality. They look better in your picture than in ford website

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
picture.jpg

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Color reminds me of one of my fav ice cream bars as a kid, lol.
ABC.jpg

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Color reminds me of one of my fav ice cream bars as a kid, lol.
Yes, actually they made a special marketing event with an orange icecream.

[ame]
Sponsored