Sponsored

2018 Mustang vs. Nissan Leaf

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
"Performance" car doesn't automatically mean somehow every used one has been trashed by a 19 year old street racer. I would figure as long as it drives well and still has a warranty there shouldn't be too much to worry about given the cost savings, especially if you could find a car for sale from a community or forum such as this one.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. A Miata, Camaro, Stinger, Veloster, Challenger, Corvette and STI are all VERY different cars lol and can't imagine cross shopping them when you also seem extremely particular on how you would need your GT optioned just so??

For me there are very few cars that are livable daily drivers that are also fun in the corners like an STI while also being comfortable for long hauls/with the lady. The miata is slow, a "fast" FWD car like the Veloster is just a tease, at least to me, a challenger is useless for anyone who writes 4 paragraphs about how amazing the STI's driving dynamics are, more-affordable driver's cars like the STI have compromises like a rough ride, the Stinger is automatic only, etc etc. That really only leaves the big american 3 for someone that wants livability, performance and the fun of RWD/stick at an affordable price, the mustang, camaro, and corvette. And if a new one of those that you want isn't in the budget then that leaves you with used, or else a car like the ones you listed that are going to have some compromises. Corvettes are fantastic cars, and have always been made for the retiree who doesn't want his spine shattered going to the golf course so I'm not sure why you think it would be a bad daily. I don't know what new C7's are going for these days, but I can't imagine them going for much less than a loaded GT.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
It's a super bad time to buy an STI right now, just for the record. 2021 MY will have a different engine. EJ is going away, and a different variant of the FA20 is going in. This will likely lower resale on the older models substantially.
Yeah, absolutely something to consider and I was looking at that too. From what I can tell, the new WRX has been pushed back to a mid 2021 release and they think the new STI may not be out until 2022 as a result. There is also discussion that they might skip the 2021 model year completely for the STI. The STI I was considering was ordered by the dealer and they were offering multiple thousand off sticker on it, making it only like $3K over the WRX optioned how I wanted it. I almost certainly won't own the car long enough, but often the last year of a long running model is worth more then the first year of the next generation once people start buying them up again as classics.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, while my wife would prefer a new car, I am not set on that but I am going to respect her wishes and check them out. The C7 would be used in my budget for sure, and as you pointed out, my budget is a constraint. The only Corvettes I have ever ridden in was a modded C5 Z06 and a C6 Z06, so maybe they can be softer then I realize. The height is part of the concern with it being a daily, but I can test drive it and find out how much I like it.

When it comes to the cars on my list, honestly it could be larger. I am the type of guy who loves lots of cars and enjoys different aspects of different cars. Part of what I am really looking for is something that feels a little more special which I can play with in some manner.

Miata: While I am sure it won't accelerate for much, it can still be a lot of fun to drive a slow car fast and Miatas might be the best example of that. I have not driven the 4th gen ND yet, but I think I would enjoy being able to really floor the gas for extended periods of time and row through the gears. I love to get on the gas coming out of a turn and I can enjoy a good momentum car on the right road. Up here at elevation, the power will be pretty lacking though, well see how she feels with the new engine the revs out longer and has a bit more power.

Veloster N: Honestly, I don't like the looks and think the 3 door thing is dumb. However, everyone that has driven the N raves about it. Supposedly it really does feel special and fun despite the FWD and not being the fastest in it's class. While FWD cars tend to understeer, which I don't enjoy, it sounds like the N is very toss able and light. It may be a big tease like you said and just understeer when I try to have fun, but I want to give it a shot and see what they hype is about. I do think Hyundai/Genesis/Kia have come a long way.

Stinger: Again I have no experience with this car but have read good things. Personally, I don't like the front styling or the stupid vent on the side. Sure like the back and the interior though. This is probably the most wife friendly option as it is big, comfy, easy, and has a long warranty. I am guessing it will be a pretty nice car but maybe not real fun or special feeling.

Challenger: The 392 Hemi engine and the retro styling are the appeal of this car for me. I think those two together would make the car feel special and somewhat fun. I have to admit, I have more fun going around corners then in a strait line, so the Challenger may just not be for me if it wallows around turns too much. I figure I should try it out before buying a Mustang to at least know what it is like. I do like the style of the car and think it is the best looking of the American 3 in my opinion.

Camaro: Grew up a Chevy guy working on SB350s with my dad who had one my entire childhood. I should love the Camaro, but the styling just does not work for me. Exterior and interior. It has some good spots, but overall it kind of rubs me wrong for some reason. Visibility is super important to me, so much so that I am not sure I want to even test drive the Camaro. From what I understand it has the best chassis of the Big 3 and should be a lot of fun to play with. It could be the most fun of the options to drive. I would be tempted to go for the 1le but also concerned about the Alcantera wheel and shift knob. My sweaty hands would make those feel terrible after a year or two I am sure. Maybe the visibility will be okay and the chassis while be fun to play with. From what I have read, the manual is a must as the auto 8 speeds seem to have a lot of issues.

The Mustang GT is at the top of my list right now and seems to be both fun and comfortable. The engine makes me smile. Plus, I just want one. Some other cars will have steering I like better, or better comfort, or a lower price, etc. but I don't have one criteria that I am going to buy the car off of. I don't need the fastest, or the best steering feel, or the most comfortable which is why the list is kind of diverse. Most of these cars I have never driven or even ridden in before, so I don't really know what I will end up liking best though I would guess I could enjoy any of them. Sorry, I'm not sure I will have a best. I doubt I will pick one car and stop liking or respecting the others. I am sure I will be able to look at whatever I do select and say, I wish it had the steering of X or the engine of Y, but I am good with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also really enjoy the process of thinking of thinking about what car to buy and researching my options. Being stuck at home just means all of you have to deal with my ramblings about them.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Is it possible to special order a GT to get MR without anything else you don't want? If you don't absolutely need it right away? I'm assuming low inventories dealers would be more willing right now to take custom orders, even those that usually don't want to. Aftermarket solutions like Bilsteins might solve the handling issues but may not meet your comfort standards, though I'm no expert on those specifically.
MR requires PP1.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
MR requires PP1.
And 301A. As far as I can tell the lowest MSRP possible with MR is $45,575 which is a base GT with no options but PP2 and 301A. If you go base GT with PP1, 301A, and MR, you are just at $45,965 I think.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am kind of in the same situation as you. We have three cars and a two car garage. It was OK when we both worked to have a spare car in an emergency, or in case one of the kids needed to borrow one. But my wife is retired and I work part-time from home. So, we don't drive a lot any more or need more than one car. Between the two of us we drive about 5000 miles a year, or less. So the wife's edict is I sell one car or sell both and buy something I'll be happy with. Naturally, she gets to keep her SUV.

camelfarmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hussain
Vehicle(s)
None
The wife and I just ordered a GT as a daily. Depends on what you want. We didn't want to compromise anymore. The last car was an alfa, which is what I wanted, but a sensible hatchback diesel due to high mileage daily. Now we are just going with our hearts.
Sponsored