Sponsored

2018 Mustang vs. Nissan Leaf

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for a bit of a click baity title, it is really what Mustang should I get to DD. Basically, I am a car guy who has ended up with a 2017 Nissan Leaf electric car as my daily driver the past three years... sigh... and it has got to end. I'm not saying the Leaf is a terrible car, but I am board in it and a bit embarrassed of it to be honest. I won't get into the details of the Leaf, but lets just say I took advantage of lots of tax incentives and other rebates and when I factored in the fuel savings it was basically free to drive for the past three years. I used that savings and some other money I had saved to fund my real car project, a Factory Five Shelby Daytona Coupe with a Coyote and t-56 with IRS and a 3.73 Torsion from and 18 PP. that I am building in my home garage. I always wanted to build my own car, though I just a dumb ape in the garage that barley knows one end of a wrench from the other, so I have been figuring it out as I go.

Anyways, the wife gave me the green light to find a daily the actually made me happy and I have been drawn to the Mustang. She does want me to get an automatic so she can drive it if needed. Plus, I get a little angry with people in traffic when I drive manuals with high power. One issue I am running into is I keep talking myself up and I had been trying to keep the daily driver reasonable. I wanted to get all of yours opinion on what you would do.

Originally I had been thinking of a GTI or Golf R, because I always enjoyed hot hatches growing up and they have a good DSG Auto. I like how they look and the practicality and I could get a used GTI for ~$17K and throw on a tune and have a relatively fun and comfortable DD. However, then I figured a EB Mustang would be RWD and a little more fun so... Then I started looking at 15 or 16 EB Autos and kind of talked myself up to the 10speed in the 18 and up. Also, if I am honest I want the V8 but I am trying to tell myself that the Shelby I am building has a Coyote already and I just need a practical daily driver. It is a slippery slope that I need to stay in control of or I will lose the wife's support. She prefers the GTI or Golf R or something more practical then the mustang which she feels is load. However, back in 15 we rented a Mustang Convertible and did drove down the Pacific Coast Highway and we both loved the trip, so I am going to try to work that angle as well as I can.

What do you think I should do?
1: Used 15 or 16 affordable EB Premium with Auto 6 which is out of warranty and time for a few mods?
2: Used 18 up EB Premium with Auto 10 speed but probably won't be modded until out of warranty?
3: Grab up a remaining New 19 EB at a discount and eat the extra cost for a new car?
4: Ain't no replacement for displacement, get the V8 and may as well make it the Gen 3 though it doubles the original budget?
5: Get a GTI and make the wife happy and have a cheaper and more comfortable DD?

Please let me know why you would suggest the direction you suggest. Thanks for the read and the shared knowledge.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
First of all I'm surprised you could fit a Coyote engine in the Daytona kit car. I tried to fit one in a Jaguar kit car and a 46 Ford and gave up. It's just too wide.

The Mustang GT convertible with the A10 would be an excellent choice. It's a pleasant mix of ride, handling and performance. A used 2018 model isn't very expensive and they still have a drive train warranty.

On the other hand, the Golf R is a lot of fun and very practical.

But, I love convertibles. Got to have at least one.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
First of all I'm surprised you could fit a Coyote engine in the Daytona kit car. I tried to fit one in a Jaguar kit car and a 46 Ford and gave up. It's just too wide.

The Mustang GT convertible with the A10 would be an excellent choice. It's a pleasant mix of ride, handling and performance. A used 2018 model isn't very expensive and they still have a drive train warranty.

Thanks for the reply. It sure is a wide engine and it was not as easy as I thought it would be but she fits. Ah, don't mind the hammer.View media item 17928
I feel like I had to post that to get back any semblance of respect after my first post on this forum being an admission of driving a Leaf for the past three years.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
There is no shame in driving a Leaf. As you observed, it makes great financial sense. A person I work with has a Chevy Bolt, which is very similar. It's a great commuter car.

I admire your balls (damn, that sounds bad) for undertaking building a kit car with no previous experience. I have built a few in years past and as they say "The devil is in the details". It isn't hard (relatively speaking) to put together the body and running gear. But, making a finished car that doesn't look like something thrown together in a garage takes a ton of planning and effort. And often requires lots of modifications.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S

+1...had mine a year and I am still in love. I look for reasons to go for a drive!

As for the leaf, my sister-in-law lives in Atlanta...they got their leaf because of all the incentives at the time. She was essentially making money off driving it for a few years. If they are going to wave the cash in front of you, may as well take it!

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had a 2017 Golf GTI with the DSG for a while, so I can give good input. The Golf is a great daily and Jack of all trades. It left me wanting more though. I'd prefer a newer 10 speed EB and just leave it stock. Its plenty quick that way. Maybe even look for an HPP car. Practicality wise the Golf has a slight edge, but the hatch area is actually rather small. Mustang trunk is actually larger. Golf has usable rear seats though if you need that. Economy wise the Golf is also ahead.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Sorry for a bit of a click baity title, it is really what Mustang should I get to DD. Basically, I am a car guy who has ended up with a 2017 Nissan Leaf electric car as my daily driver the past three years... sigh... and it has got to end. I'm not saying the Leaf is a terrible car, but I am board in it and a bit embarrassed of it to be honest. I won't get into the details of the Leaf, but lets just say I took advantage of lots of tax incentives and other rebates and when I factored in the fuel savings it was basically free to drive for the past three years. I used that savings and some other money I had saved to fund my real car project, a Factory Five Shelby Daytona Coupe with a Coyote and t-56 with IRS and a 3.73 Torsion from and 18 PP. that I am building in my home garage. I always wanted to build my own car, though I just a dumb ape in the garage that barley knows one end of a wrench from the other, so I have been figuring it out as I go.

Anyways, the wife gave me the green light to find a daily the actually made me happy and I have been drawn to the Mustang. She does want me to get an automatic so she can drive it if needed. Plus, I get a little angry with people in traffic when I drive manuals with high power. One issue I am running into is I keep talking myself up and I had been trying to keep the daily driver reasonable. I wanted to get all of yours opinion on what you would do.

Originally I had been thinking of a GTI or Golf R, because I always enjoyed hot hatches growing up and they have a good DSG Auto. I like how they look and the practicality and I could get a used GTI for ~$17K and throw on a tune and have a relatively fun and comfortable DD. However, then I figured a EB Mustang would be RWD and a little more fun so... Then I started looking at 15 or 16 EB Autos and kind of talked myself up to the 10speed in the 18 and up. Also, if I am honest I want the V8 but I am trying to tell myself that the Shelby I am building has a Coyote already and I just need a practical daily driver. It is a slippery slope that I need to stay in control of or I will lose the wife's support. She prefers the GTI or Golf R or something more practical then the mustang which she feels is load. However, back in 15 we rented a Mustang Convertible and did drove down the Pacific Coast Highway and we both loved the trip, so I am going to try to work that angle as well as I can.

What do you think I should do?
1: Used 15 or 16 affordable EB Premium with Auto 6 which is out of warranty and time for a few mods?
2: Used 18 up EB Premium with Auto 10 speed but probably won't be modded until out of warranty?
3: Grab up a remaining New 19 EB at a discount and eat the extra cost for a new car?
4: Ain't no replacement for displacement, get the V8 and may as well make it the Gen 3 though it doubles the original budget?
5: Get a GTI and make the wife happy and have a cheaper and more comfortable DD?

Please let me know why you would suggest the direction you suggest. Thanks for the read and the shared knowledge.

I would recommend not buying an EB - I've been there and done that. I would only buy a Mustang V8. If you must buy an EB get a new one.

I've not owned nor would own any of the other cars on your list...I might wait for the Bronco...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
no. the A6 is not something to pursue.

put a proper tune on it (eg. Unleashed Tuning) and she'll rip. The factory tune is a disgrace.

if you're not getting AT LEAST 20% off MSRP on a new '19 you need to change venue. at least 15% off MSRP for a MY20.

my Smiles / Mile were CONSIDERABLY more in my GTI than the '19 EB+PP. It really is just a riot to drive and the practicality comparison is not remotely fair. A tune on the GTI wasn't even aggressive and yet the frenetic boost above 4500 RPM was delicious. The Mustang is a 2-seater + 1 young child at best. The GTI will seat 5 adults in a pinch and carry all kinds of cargo that simply can't even get into the Mustang. The EB mustang even with aftermarket suspension is still HEAVY and shows it.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a cavalier for like 6 years as my daily. Keep the leaf as your daily and get something you really love as a toy. Or sell it and buy a used truck since you're in the mountains and buy a toy.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
no. the A6 is not something to pursue.

put a proper tune on it (eg. Unleashed Tuning) and she'll rip. The factory tune is a disgrace.

if you're not getting AT LEAST 20% off MSRP on a new '19 you need to change venue. at least 15% off MSRP for a MY20.

my Smiles / Mile were CONSIDERABLY more in my GTI than the '19 EB+PP. It really is just a riot to drive and the practicality comparison is not remotely fair. A tune on the GTI wasn't even aggressive and frenetic boost above 4500 RPM was delicious. The Mustang is a 2-seater + 1 young child at best. The GTI will seat 5 adults in a pinch and carry all kinds of cargo that simply can't get into the Mustang. The EB mustang even with aftermarket suspension is still HEAVY and shows it.
I have no idea how you found a GTI that much fun, lol. Its really only good if tuned which means no warranty. I also don't think it has that much more room, sure you can get away with taller items, but with the seats folded down on both cars they really aren't that far apart. They both pass the 4 wheels with tires test.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like we are all across the board other then the A10 is better then the old A6. A couple in favor of ponying up for the V8. Some for and against EB and for and against the GTI. I was also a little surprised to see that the GTI was enjoyed more then the EB Mustang PP. I would have assumed the opposite with the mustang being RWD and more powerful. I know light hot hatches can be fun but I just figured the Mustang would be more fun.

The rental convertible we had was a v6, which left me wanting more. I did like how well it handled and remember feeling that in a lot of ways it handled better then the BMW 135i I owned at the time which I had dropped another +$5K M3 front suspension and expensive Ohlin coilovers. The Mustang did not have much steering feel but it really absorb the bumps well and controlled the weight of the car pretty well to be honest. It made me want to know what the platform could do with more torque and tire. I don't remember it feeling like a heavy car, though maybe the V8 would change that.

In my mind, I had thought the EB would feel more torque and grunt then the V6 and would be a bit lighter making for a noticeable improvement over the V6 with the old auto I drove before. I thought that would add up to still be pretty fun even though it is not a v8. I would almost certainly tune it and try to get a bit more out of it but hate giving up the warranty. At the same time, paying the Ford premium for the EB performance pack is so expensive, I would probably just get a V8. Hmm... Still not sure what to do.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like we are all across the board other then the A10 is better then the old A6. A couple in favor of ponying up for the V8. Some for and against EB and for and against the GTI. I was also a little surprised to see that the GTI was enjoyed more then the EB Mustang PP. I would have assumed the opposite with the mustang being RWD and more powerful. I know light hot hatches can be fun but I just figured the Mustang would be more fun.

The rental convertible we had was a v6, which left me wanting more. I did like how well it handled and remember feeling that in a lot of ways it handled better then the BMW 135i I owned at the time which I had dropped another +$5K M3 front suspension and expensive Ohlin coilovers. The Mustang did not have much steering feel but it really absorb the bumps well and controlled the weight of the car pretty well to be honest. It made me want to know what the platform could do with more torque and tire. I don't remember it feeling like a heavy car, though maybe the V8 would change that.

In my mind, I had thought the EB would feel more torque and grunt then the V6 and would be a bit lighter making for a noticeable improvement over the V6 with the old auto I drove before. I thought that would add up to still be pretty fun even though it is not a v8. I would almost certainly tune it and try to get a bit more out of it but hate giving up the warranty. At the same time, paying the Ford premium for the EB performance pack is so expensive, I would probably just get a V8. Hmm... Still not sure what to do.
Sounds like you should go test drive the Ecoboost HPP and the V8 and get a baseline for each. The V8 is kinda overwhelming at first but it's really tame in normal driving, I daily mine. The regular Ecoboost is similar to the V6 until you slap the A10 in there, then it's noticeably quicker. As far as the GTI being more fun, I guess it depends on what you like. The Golf chassis is very stiff and nimble for sure, and for a FWD car it handles pretty well. Kinda understeery though. I went from that straight to V8 and I'm having way more fun, but arguably some of that is due to the noise and ridiculous power increase. But I think the car handles pretty well and it feels a lot more balanced being RWD.

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Sorry for a bit of a click baity title, it is really what Mustang should I get to DD. Basically, I am a car guy who has ended up with a 2017 Nissan Leaf electric car as my daily driver the past three years... sigh... and it has got to end.

No shame in nerding out in a cheap to run Leaf.

Prices on 1-2 year old used EBs didn't seem low enough compared to new with the incentives they were offering. Not sure what the incentives are atm.

I can't recommend against the EB other than it's lack of practicality. There are some issues with the A10 that some of us are having, but most aren't.

How about a Turbo Focus if you want 5-doors...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I was also a little surprised to see that the GTI was enjoyed more then the EB Mustang PP.
It's all about the weight. 600+lbs is huge. If I drove the EB with all of it's chassis and suspension mods back to back with the GTI on an autocross track the EB would undoubtedly have set the faster time. It's stable and planted. The GTI was a bit light in the tail and would scrabble for traction. Mine was a v7.5 Rabbit so was basically the 'R' model with the lesser motor.

In my mind, I had thought the EB would feel more torque and grunt then the V6 and would be a bit lighter making for a noticeable improvement over the V6 with the old auto I drove before.
Absolutely the EB2.3 handles better than the V6 because it's nose is not as heavy. The factory tune on both cars is a disgrace. The v6 with a tune wakes up dramatically and actually reaches for redline with some urgency. Tuned or not, I expect the EB to feel faster even if it might not be on the stop watch. Both the v6 and v8 "feel" slow because the power is steadily rising whereas the EB hit is early and then dies off. BTW I'm comparing all cars with MT82 trans in them. the A6/A10 may flip the script.

I thought that would add up to still be pretty fun even though it is not a v8. I would almost certainly tune it and try to get a bit more out of it but hate giving up the warranty. At the same time, paying the Ford premium for the EB performance pack is so expensive, I would probably just get a V8. Hmm... Still not sure what to do.
The v6 has all of the cheapest possible parts. You either drive it 'slow' or spend $$$ fixing everything. That's why I got rid of my '17 and went with the '19 GT and EB both with the PP trims, but ended up rebuilding them both with proper brakes, chassis bits and suspension.

the PP pricing for the MY20 is just plain nuts and in no way justified. Get the cars at a hefty discount and it'll hurt less I suppose. The PP suspension is a cruel joke on both cars so expect to replace rear shocks at minimum.

If anyone wants a heavily updated EB/PP/6MT ring me in the next 2 days or else it'll disappear into the used-car auction market.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I really do need to drive them both. There is a certified preowned 18 GT Premium a a close by dealer and a new 19 EB Premium on the other side of town which is a bit cheaper then the CPO GT. Not sure if I should bring the wife along at this point. I'm expecting to like the V8 better, but how much better will be the question along with just how much I like the EB. How much of a difference would I expect to see from tuning a standard EB and maybe a bigger intercooler? Neither car near me is really optioned how I would like, but at least I should get a feel for comparisons. I seemed to be talking myself up from a $15K budget for an out of warranty car which I was going to pay cash for to a possibly $30K budget in which I would probably take a loan.

Just trying to learn as much as I can at this point so I don't waist any sales peoples time. I have never driven a new GTI or Golf R either so I will need to test that. I did ride in a focus RS for and AutoX and around the area a bit to show of the car. It was super fast for sure, but the suspension was too stiff. I think they overdid it on that one and dialing it would be a bit waring.
Sponsored