2018 Mustang vs. Nissan Leaf

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Started off the test drives today and a pretty much fully loaded up 2020 GT Premium with the 10 speed auto that the dealer had gotten in this month. First off, my sales rep started it up with me outside to hear the different exhaust modes. A wise move as it both sounds freaking fantastic and he got to show how my wife would appreciate it. The seats were very comfortable for me and I got the air conditioned seats going right away. Never had AC seats before so I was looking forward to this and it was great. I wish they were a bit more powerful but I would probably say that no matter how powerful they made them. The seating position felt a bit high but visibility was really good. Before heading out I tried going through the different drive modes and learned you really have to give it time to change between each mode before you move the switch again. I hit it a few times quickly at first and it just seemed to bog down. After a couple seconds, it finally changed the gauge screen, then slowly cycled through the modes for the multiple clicks I had made earlier. Not too big a deal really, just give it a second or two between modes and it works fine. I'll probably skip the new digital gauges, not really worth $2,200 to me right now.

Started out in the Sport driving mode and the sport mode on the auto. Made it out of the parking lot nice and gentle and everything seemed okay. As I tried accelerating away around the corner from a roll and I got nothing for about two seconds. My foot is pretty far into it because nothing is really happening and then bang, it slams into gear and the engine revs like hell for about half a second and then it upshifts to some super high gear. Granted, I did back out of it when she took off, but that was not at all what I was looking for. In the higher gear everything is sane again and I chalk it up to me giving the transmission mixed signals with the throttle. Start rolling away from the light again and it started off fine, then went unresponsive on me when it wanted to upshift for about a second, then another hard shift, quickly followed by another. I pull of the mane street at this point onto side streets and it is still constant upshifting and downshifting and I was frankly baffled. I have read many good things about this transmission and how quickly if shifts and how it is able to get into the gear to stay in the power band etc. I then used the paddles to use manual shifting thinking that would fix it. Nope, still dead for the first second or a bit more of throttle. I also quickly got confused on what gear I was in but something was still wrong. In other cars with paddle shifters that I have driven in the past, after you use the paddle to downshift it will go back into auto mode after 5 seconds or when you come to a complete stop. Did not happen in the Mustang and I could not figure out how to get it back into auto short of going to park and then back to auto with the shifter. I'm sure there is a better way but I'm too dumb to figure it out. Back in auto, the transmission continued to be all over the place and kill throttle response like nothing I have ever driven before. I was planning to drive further on the test drive but I just spun around and headed right back to the dealer. Made it back completely frustrated and just thinking that 10 speeds it way too much, I don't communicate well with the transmission and we don't match, at all. I have read that the transmission learns from the driver and gets better over time. Well... I don't know what to say if you are an idiot like me...

Once I get back, I try explaining what was going on and the sales guy tells me he saw me leave the dealership and wondered what I was doing. He told me that it has to learn and that the car is brand new. He had a Raptor owner come back after they got their new truck and tell him the same thing and they reset the transmission and let it learn again and it was fine. At this point, I had written off the new auto as not for me and was ready to move on but the salesperson convinced me to try the EB they had with the auto. Glad he did.

Taking off in the base 2020 EB, and
Your post got cut off. But that's pretty normal on a brand new car, the trans learning takes a a couple dozen miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
Your post got cut off. But that's pretty normal on a brand new car, the trans learning takes a a couple dozen miles.
Yeah, not sure what happened there. Guess I am too long winded. I am glad that is pretty normal on a new car. Surprised the sales people don't drive them around at first to clear that up. I suppose they don't have time but that could cost them sales. I was ready to move on.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, not sure what happened there. Guess I am too long winded. I am glad that is pretty normal on a new car. Surprised the sales people don't drive them around at first to clear that up. I suppose they don't have time but that could cost them sales. I was ready to move on.
Okay, after reading all of what you wrote, see if you can find a Ecoboost HPP - High Performance Pack. It's an Ecoboost on steroids, with more horsepower and handling upgrades. And another GT of course. Sounds like youll be happiest with one of those two.

Also another important note, switch the steering mode to comfort on any Mustang you try. It just feels way better.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of comments:

1. Leaf is not dead.. can you keep it and wait until what you want becomes available? If there is not a rush, don't rush. Plus a bit of time to "sleep on" the idea of what you really want.

2. How about keep the leaf and put the $15k into the Shelby. How much further along could that get you? I'll understand if it is about the journey and not about the destination. :-)

3. If you are embarrassed by the Leaf, you won't feel any better once you get an EB. Trust me... been there. Part of the fun of Mustang ownership, IMO, is going to car meets and farting around. Must have a thick skin with the EB... hear things like "it sounds tiny", "I did not hear you pull up", "your car sounds like shit", "where is the engine", "half your engine is missing", "[pointing at engine and laughing]", "I'd buy one of those for my wife", "that is a car for a girl", etc. etc... ha ha ha.... and don't think you will cut the muffler off and it will sound better. Go read those threads if you want... they lie. I did that -- It will still sound like crap. Sorry... I'm not against EB Mustangs... long as you know what you are getting into!
1. The Leaf is in perfect shape and is not even being used that much as I am working from home for now. I agree and will keep driving it until I find what I am specifically looking for. I tend to always want to get a "good deal" on something, so my wife is helping me fight my instincts to jump on a deal instead of waiting for what I specifically want.

2. The Shelby is essentially funded already. I have paid for all the parts already and have an amount set aside each month for paint which will be done next spring to summer. I've never painted a car before and tend to suck at that kind of thing, but I will be a perfectionist and pick apart and focus on every mistake I make if I do it. There was very little chance that I would by happy with my own paint job, so I am going to admit my limits and pay an expert to do it right. The guy who I am having doing it paints these fiberglass replica 100% of his time and has a waiting list of over a year, which is how I ended up with the timeline I am on now. I can't really move that up. The guys that I know who are really good at this tend to take longer and have long lists of customers lined up. I'm good with waiting too, I the build is certainly part of the journey for me and I can't have too short a trip.

3. I know what you are talking about and it sucks. I legitimately like lots and lots of cars but I run into people all the time that feel like there is one right answer and anyone with a different answer is stupid. Personally, if I see someone having fun with a car, I want to go have fun with them. Tons of things can be fun. There is no reason you can't be having fun because you don't have X or Y. In fact, I never had more fun then when I was young and had beaters that I just abused for all they were worth. I can't say I won't be bothered by comments like what you have received but I don't know what I can really do but try to remember that I can l like whatever the heck I want and I don't even really like other people anyways.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, after reading all of what you wrote, see if you can find a Ecoboost HPP - High Performance Pack. It's an Ecoboost on steroids, with more horsepower and handling upgrades. And another GT of course. Sounds like youll be happiest with one of those two.

Also another important note, switch the steering mode to comfort on any Mustang you try. It just feels way better.
Good to know, thanks.

Sponsored

TorqueMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
The performace of the GT transmission is unforgivable if you ask me. Sure, ok there's a learning period, but ffs, it should have a driveable baseline while it figures you out. Whatever parameters are getting tweaked, it should be smart enough to not do dumb things like way delayed shifts you described. You shouldn't have to be smarter than the transmission.

In a way, it's a good thing, because if you're looking at the EB, it's not entirely fair to drive the GT first. Performing properly it's going to knock your socks off and then going down to the EB is going to be a "meh" reaction. Now you know you enjoyed the EB, had fun driving it, and can see if you will enjoy a GT twice as much. Have to admit I envy the sound, the growl, the most.

It's a daily driver, how much power do you need? On the highway I barely think about needing 5mph more and I'm there. Where I've been limited to 65ish mph, I get rewarded with high 30's even 40+ mpg where the gauge tops out. I'm definitely on the nerd side of things, and used to consider getting a 90's honda or a geo metro for the crazy mileage they got, but at what power level? This EB effing rocks both worlds.

I haven't had many neanderthals give me shit about not being a V8. I just say "Naw, it's a Turbo 4 with 300 hp and 350 lb-ft and it GOES."

I feel like George Carlin comparing Football and Baseball. "TURBO" said in a manly man voice vs "ecoboost" which sounds like it should be said with a lisp while wearing a pink shirt.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you select S on the shifter and use a paddle the transmission goes into manual mode until stop or change to D. You picked the wrong modes to start with. You should have got used to it in normal and D mode, then used S mode on the shifter without using the paddles, just to acquaint yourself with the difference in shift points and rev matching. Under most driving conditions, you don't need to change modes with the selection screen. At least get used to the basics first. Trying S and S right off the bat is going to leave a bad impression. Especially with a cold engine.

However, there should be no hesitation like you encountered. I would not judge the GT based on that experience.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
that's not a new trans, that's a defective trans in the GT. 'learn'ing means shaving behavior hear and there within the latitude of adjustment. Failure to shift and harsh shifts is a defect.

which I guess just means I need to keep the revs higher then I am accustomed too, but that was fun. There is some throttle lag and delay as it builds steam, but not too bad for a modern car.
You can thank Ford ECU tuning for the poor power delivery. A tuned EB behaves SO MUCH better. But also yes, 2500RPM bare min (>3000 better) if you want to stomp on the gas.

he had me test drive a used 2017 with a manual and a Stage 1 APR tune. That tune sure makes a difference in the throttle response and adds noticeable power.
Correct the APR tune is a joy and I only drive stick cars for good reason. And the GTI needs to be spinning >4000 RPM for maximum effect.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Talked to the wife some more and the manual is now on the table, if it has a light enough clutch pedal and forgiving enough for her to learn on. I also have a 50 mile work commute into the city and often end up in stop and go traffic, so I also want it to be a light clutch for practicality but it sounds like the Mustangs manual is pretty light right? I feel like I have read of grumblings about the MT82 though and I have seen some stuff about shifter forks and what not. I'm going to go look into it more now, but can anyone give me the cliff notes version?

I'm thinking of taking a day off this week and going to test drive a manual GT and another auto GT. I did see a video review of the EB Mustang with the A10 by Throttle House on YouTube and he had similar problems with the transmission, but not quit as bad as what I experienced. Maybe some of you have seen that but they show it jumping around between gears like crazy and being very jerky. Not sure exactly what is going on with the one I drove earlier, but if that is how it normally behaves, I can't do it..

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2019+ MT82D4 shift forks are generally fine. Yes the Mustang (and GTI) clutch are very easy to modulate and intuitive. Camaro and <2010 Mustang very much not so. The A10 trans programming seems to be wildly inconsistent. Improper assembly (not enough fluid) may also play a role. There's plenty of angry people over on the F150 forums too.

Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Get the manual V8. You know that's the one you really want! :-)
I daily mine and have no complaints about the clutch or shifter. They're peachy. I think it would be quite an easy car to learn to drive stick if your wife felt so inclined.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you like full throttle runs 460hp is a lot to handle with a manual. Its not for everyone. I have the A10 which I like. It shines when you have your foot in it but its not the greatest transmission around town at low throttle / low speed but I'm fine with it. I have had no issues.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have the A10 and I wouldn't swap it for any manual. But, you have to get used to it and find which settings work best for you. I use standard mode and S most of the time. If I want other drivers to think I'm an A hole I use drag mode and S. I rarely use the paddles.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Talked to the wife some more and the manual is now on the table, if it has a light enough clutch pedal and forgiving enough for her to learn on. I also have a 50 mile work commute into the city and often end up in stop and go traffic, so I also want it to be a light clutch for practicality but it sounds like the Mustangs manual is pretty light right? I feel like I have read of grumblings about the MT82 though and I have seen some stuff about shifter forks and what not. I'm going to go look into it more now, but can anyone give me the cliff notes version?

I'm thinking of taking a day off this week and going to test drive a manual GT and another auto GT. I did see a video review of the EB Mustang with the A10 by Throttle House on YouTube and he had similar problems with the transmission, but not quit as bad as what I experienced. Maybe some of you have seen that but they show it jumping around between gears like crazy and being very jerky. Not sure exactly what is going on with the one I drove earlier, but if that is how it normally behaves, I can't do it..
I daily my MT82 D4 with ease, the clutch is super easy. You also get active rev matching in 2019+ which is awesome. 2019 and later also have a different set of shift forks.

OP
OP

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I daily my MT82 D4 with ease, the clutch is super easy. You also get active rev matching in 2019+ which is awesome. 2019 and later also have a different set of shift forks.
Thanks, I knew there were updates in 2018 but I did not know they updated it again for 2019. I am thinking the active rev matching would be nice but I have never driven a car with that before. Does it work well or just get in the way?
Sponsored