Sponsored

2018 mustang vs camaro vs scatpack/srt

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I bet a 2018 auto GTPP with the six gen 1LE setup wheels and tires will humiliate 1le in every way possible.
I'll take that bet. The 1LE is already very close to the GT350 on track. I don't see how a GTPP with 1LE wheels is gonna humiliate anything. It might hang with a 1LE but humiliate?

By the way the GTPP level 2 will come with wider wheels and supposedly cup tires (I personally doubt the cup tires part). Still these wheels aren't as wide as the 1LE wheels. Even so it should make it more interesting.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The 1LE is an incredible car. It's also a bit lighter and has more low-end. They didn't make the 2018 any lighter. The Mustang GT needs weight loss in the front - the Coyote is a somewhat heavy engine, and top heavy. Dropping the engine down just .5" with Steeda engine mounts was noticeable on my car.

A stock 1LE driven by a fat guy WITH his fat friend in the car (and I only say that because... weight) often outpaced much faster cars on-paper in the intermediate group at my Charlotte Motor Speedway track day which includes infield that's more suited for an S2000. Had I been in the intermediate group myself, I have a feeling I would have been pissed...

Terrible visibility, terrible trunk access... but driver's race? I'm waiting for proof because the Camaro 1LE will kick the current Mustang GT PP's ass all day around a road course. See it often.

Thanks for the video. Fun stuff.

Though,
I disagree with you about the 1Le kicking the 2018 Mustang PP around a road course. Lets not forget, that MagneRide makes a massive difference, specially a timed event around a road course. (Just look at the GT350.)

I really think the 2018 Mustang is going to be one of the best "Sport Cars" to come out of Detroit. A lot of that will have to do with the refined suspension & magneride, but lets not also forget the all new Coyote 3.0 powerplant. It looks like it was designed to breathe better, so it might be a quick revv'r.

Not to mention, the all-new A10. Which can make a difference around a timed road course event/race. And who knows what the new 6-manual will bring. But I think this new Mustang is going to be sharp & nimble as the GT350.

I agree with you on reducing the weight in the frontend of the Mustang. Perhaps with the 2018+'s lower hood design, they can use/refine the GT350's carbon fiber front underpinnings. And retro fit, etc.

I really hope Ford takes a serious look at reducing weight in their Mustangs. It is.. a stand alone marquis. And the cost of development for "cf/plastic" panels/floorpans, etc would be worth it.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
By the way the GTPP level 2 will come with wider wheels and supposedly cup tires (I personally doubt the cup tires part). Still these wheels aren't as wide as the 1LE wheels. Even so it should make it more interesting.

I believe the PP2 will include Pilot Sport Cup2.
305/30ZR19 (98Y)

Squared.

:ford:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I'll take that bet. The 1LE is already very close to the GT350 on track. I don't see how a GTPP with 1LE wheels is gonna humiliate anything. It might hang with a 1LE but humiliate?

The upcoming GTPP can be bought with the 10 speed auto. If anyhow you can order that car with the supposedly PP2 package wheels and tires, I don't see why not. If PP2 is real, maybe Ford doesn't care about their mustang gt besting their regular gt350. Hack a gt with all that equipment may come close to a gt350 money anyways! You just end up ditching the ADM! Its a win win situation if you ask me.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I believe the PP2 will include Pilot Sport Cup2.
305/30ZR19 (98Y)

Squared.

:ford:
Somewhere on here the widths were shown. Someone please confirm. I believe they were staggered and 1/2" narrower than 1LE widths. That won't support 305's squared. I still don't know why peeps thinks its getting cups. The regular GT350 doesn't. To me the problem with cups is they are too expensive and not the best choice for tracking. Their probably overkill for the street anyways though they will win you a magazine comparo.

Sponsored

RStoepel93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP (Ordered)
18 GT Performance Package Auto. The Camaro would be a close race but the challenger would definitely bring up the rear.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
And then they'd all get spanked 0-60 by a stage 1 golf r :p . Maybe not in the quarter, but I don't go to the track anyway. I was heavily leaning towards a charger scat pack next year but now I'm floating the idea of a 2018 mustang with the auto or Golf R. The Golf is winning right now for the extra 2 doors and cargo space. AWD is a bonus too.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
And then they'd all get spanked 0-60 by a stage 1 golf r :p . Maybe not in the quarter, but I don't go to the track anyway. I was heavily leaning towards a charger scat pack next year but now I'm floating the idea of a 2018 mustang with the auto or Golf R. The Golf is winning right now for the extra 2 doors and cargo space. AWD is a bonus too.
Yeah but..all that ugly.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Is anyone on this forum actually even a skilled enough driver to get the absolute best out of any car? One can argue the track numbers for the GTPP vs 1LE all day long, but the truth of it is that a very small percentage of people can actually get that kind of performance out of a vehicle, much less most of us on this forum--and people with that kind of skill likely aren't even rolling in a sub 40k mass produced vehicle.

I mean..if you're at the track and watching a 1LE beating on a GTPP with two different drivers then the comparison is moot.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is anyone on this forum actually even a skilled enough driver to get the absolute best out of any car? One can argue the track numbers for the GTPP vs 1LE all day long, but the truth of it is that a very small percentage of people can actually get that kind of performance out of a vehicle, much less most of us on this forum--and people with that kind of skill likely aren't even rolling in a sub 40k mass produced vehicle.

I mean..if you're at the track and watching a 1LE beating on a GTPP with two different drivers then the comparison is moot.
The track events I've been to are not timed and the participants are told explicitly NOT to treat them as a race. AFAIK most people who actually go to the track just enjoy driving their cars and have fun rather than being all braggy about which car might be slightly faster. Most of us don't have the cash to go all out and risk wadding up our cars anyway. I think it's only the keyboard warriors who own Toyotas or Kias in real life that mostly e-fight so hard.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
The track events I've been to are not timed and the participants are told explicitly NOT to treat them as a race. AFAIK most people who actually go to the track just enjoy driving their cars and have fun rather than being all braggy about which car might be slightly faster. Most of us don't have the cash to go all out and risk wadding up our cars anyway. I think it's only the keyboard warriors who own Toyotas or Kias in real life that mostly e-fight so hard.
Right..we're all arguing over a couple seconds on a track when most of us will never see a track, and most if not all of the rest of us are even capable of coming anywhere close to the best time a pro can get in our car. I could take out a viper with my GTPP if there was a jackleg driving it.
Sponsored