Sponsored

2018 Mustang Production Starts 10/2 (Update: Scheduling Starts 8/24/17)

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Check out the startup date for Tauras. Makes Mustang production look early.
I can't believe they still manufacture that car. The last time I went to the local Ford dealership they had a grand total of 0 Tauruses on the lot, new or used.
Sponsored

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
There are 5.0 NA builds on YouTube up to 630
no doubt the 2018 will come in at 475 HP

Nope. Adding port injection to direct will keep power down a bit in favor of reliability. As you may know DI is rather unreliable. Every manuf with DI is having huge engine failures. It'll be the same story. 450-460 hp at most. And don't forget, Ford is the ONLY manufacturer that rates their performance vehicles power on 93-95 octane. For every two drops in octane, deduct 10-12 hp and tq... GM's vehicles and Dodge are all rated on 91 octane. Infact, the Camaro SS only loses 6-8 hp going to 87. An Ecoboost drops 30 hp & 30 tq from 93 to 87 octane. And the Ford V8's drop 25 hp from 93-87 octane. Plus the fact that 90% of dealers use 87 in their demo vehicles and top off new deliveries with 87.... And, with many states with 91 octane or less, it's disappointing to have a dealer tell people it's a 435 hp V8 in the GT your looking at when it's really 420-422 hp on 91. Just keep these in mind when test driving a new Ford performance vehicle.

I've worked for FMC a long time, have had friends that work deep inside the company, some for 30 yrs, been to Bill Ford Jrs place in Grosse Pointe MI and I've seen a lot of the secret product myself, a month before debut. Sadly, the new mustang is gaining yet another 40-60 lbs and the front DRL LED's are still dull, dim and disappointing in their lack of brightness compared to most other car's...

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The more and more they delay the specs on the performance on the engine , the worse it will start looking for the Mustang. To be this secretive to just a mid cycle refresh sounds bad to me this late in the game. I can already feel the mood and vibe shift from hype to worry.

You have a point on octane. Wawa in Jersey is now selling premium fuel at 92 octane. Likely because it was always a grade lower to begin with.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nope. Adding port injection to direct will keep power down a bit in favor of reliability. As you may know DI is rather unreliable. Every manuf with DI is having huge engine failures. It'll be the same story. 450-460 hp at most. And don't forget, Ford is the ONLY manufacturer that rates their performance vehicles power on 93-95 octane. For every two drops in octane, deduct 10-12 hp and tq... GM's vehicles and Dodge are all rated on 91 octane. Infact, the Camaro SS only loses 6-8 hp going to 87. An Ecoboost drops 30 hp & 30 tq from 93 to 87 octane. And the Ford V8's drop 25 hp from 93-87 octane. Plus the fact that 90% of dealers use 87 in their demo vehicles and top off new deliveries with 87.... And, with many states with 91 octane or less, it's disappointing to have a dealer tell people it's a 435 hp V8 in the GT your looking at when it's really 420-422 hp on 91. Just keep these in mind when test driving a new Ford performance vehicle.

I've worked for FMC a long time, have had friends that work deep inside the company, some for 30 yrs, been to Bill Ford Jrs place in Grosse Pointe MI and I've seen a lot of the secret product myself, a month before debut. Sadly, the new mustang is gaining yet another 40-60 lbs and the front DRL LED's are still dull, dim and disappointing in their lack of brightness compared to most other car's...
Damn man. I needed a good laugh :lol:

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Here is a good description of combined port and direct injection.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

Don Sherman was an automotive engineer before moving to Car and Driver decades ago.

Here is one of Ford's patents on the combination. Too much detail for me. https://www.google.com/patents/US9441570

Since deposits are discussed in the C and D article comments this study on Top Tier gas is relevant. https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The more and more they delay the specs on the performance on the engine , the worse it will start looking for the Mustang. To be this secretive to just a mid cycle refresh sounds bad to me this late in the game. I can already feel the mood and vibe shift from hype to worry.
IIRC, the '15MY order guides were available before the performance specs were released......so we've been here before :)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Increased compression, increased displacement, increased red line.
Do the maths and the power comes out at about 471 bhp.

Which will mean about 411 bhp for the RHD car.
Hard to do math when there are no numbers given.

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Remember when [MENTION=6383]thePill[/MENTION] said 2017 was gonna be a short production year and 2018's were gonna be available to order in April or May? LoL I'd say we'll know HP and pricing in August or September. Holy schnikes this is gonna be a long wait
I would not worry about hp if your in a 91 octane or less state, as that lower octane equals 10-12 hp & tq less, for each octane drop. First deliveries MIGHT make it to mid Dec, but def not before.

And, dealers, mine included, only put 87 in tne tank for demos and delivery. So for current 5.0's that's 410-412 hp. Not 433-435 hp, in most markets. 422-425 hp on 91... however it takes all kinds of driving, for "upto" 70 miles, full throttle and cruising, etc, before the ECU will retune itself for the octane increase.

jimmbbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT Sterling Gray
A friend just called and said the local Ford dealer told him '18 Mustang ordering begins Monday, June 26... I have yet to see an options sheet, so wonder if that is correct :confused:
TIA!

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Oct 2 is start of production, while July 17 is when orders can be taken according to the chart in the first post.

raidn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Perf Pack + 1968 302 Coupe
Oct 2 is start of production, while July 17 is when orders can be taken according to the chart in the first post.
Does anyone know generally when pricing is published in relation to when they start taking orders? Is it different every time? Do they announce pricing 2 weeks before? 2 weeks after?

jimmbbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT Sterling Gray
Thanks... saw that chart, but since Jul 17 is only three weeks out, and we still don't have engine specs or an option list, makes me wonder if it's valid...
One thing is certain... I'm not going to order one without having time to study an options sheet!! :doh:

Last edited: