Sponsored

2018 Mustang Production Starts 10/2 (Update: Scheduling Starts 8/24/17)

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Well the Mustang supply situation hasn't been too bad, at least compared to the Camaro. If Ford is worried about cars sitting and dropping demand they should quit building 2017 way sooner than the end of September like the document shows. Freshly built 2017s showing up on dealer lots in October are gonna have a tough life even with high incentives lol.
Agreed. They should stop at end of June if they want to get through '17 supply.
Sponsored

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Why not wait until the S650 Release? Heck if your going to go all in on a refreshed S550 might as well wait until the S650 comes out and you'll have
more cash on hand. ;)

Just a thought. :cool:
Yea what's 3 to 4 years

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
My Point was really ....

Yea what's 3 to 4 years
Sarcastic. :doh: Heck what is the problem with waiting a few months to drive the car. Buy it, Garage it, Mod it, Detail It - Spring comes - Drive It. :cheers:

Heck I live in Sunny SFLA so I don't have that problem I can drive my car year round. With the exception of nasty rain storms and hurricanes of course. :lol:

:ford:

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Sarcastic. :doh: Heck what is the problem with waiting a few months to drive the car. Buy it, Garage it, Mod it, Detail It - Spring comes - Drive It. :cheers:

Heck I live in Sunny SFLA so I don't have that problem I can drive my car year round. With the exception of nasty rain storms and hurricanes of course. :lol:

:ford:
Even nasty rain storms you shouldn't have issues. Hurricanes though...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Ford can still keep up interest in the 2017 by building some 2017 SE Mustangs. Summer is great time for special editions.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ford can still keep up interest in the 2017 by building some 2017 SE Mustangs. Summer is great time for special editions.
Much like what ford.co.uk are peddling at the moment with their 'Shadow' edition.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
That means that they have reached J1, so no more 2017s being produced. The pre-production builds are happening now. At the moment they are building concurrently with the 17s. Around August they will start the ramp up to full production.
I'm confused. According to this document, they're accepting orders on 2017s through the end of June, which means they will be making 2017s for quite a bit longer.

MustangGT40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Focus Coupe
I'm confused. According to this document, they're accepting orders on 2017s through the end of June, which means they will be making 2017s for quite a bit longer.
+1

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
According to this document, they're accepting orders on 2017s through the end of June, which means they will be making 2017s for quite a bit longer.
Yes
Don't see what is so confusing about it.
Just be aware if you wait to the last minute to order--the dealer you are ordering from may not have allocation and thus the order may not be picked up. Dealers do have allocations on 'regular cars"--dealers cannot just order as many GTs as they want etc; Ford may also terminate some options not being carried over to 2018MY (paint colors such as Grabber Blue) early.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
F-150 being the priority makes perfect sense, but I'm not sure why there has to be a choice though. Why can't they get both out at the same time? This is Ford we're talking about, not some small company. They have different teams developing each separately. And they should have suppliers that can supply enough parts for both vehicles. If building up enough supply is the issue, why didn't they start producing these parts sooner? They could have scheduled and planned ahead for all of this to avoid any holdups.
They could have still released it early if it's just a # of transmission available and just say "limited availability till X date". I think it's more then just the F150 taking all the 10 speeds. But yes I agree that a company the size of Ford shouldn't be having supply constraints. The other issue they will face is a model that will be on lots for 1.6 months...that's stagnation and the '17 brought nothing new other then a few color changes/package tweaks.
It's probably in response to Ford managing the currently American auto industry. High supply levels are forcing automakers to either offer high incentives to move vehicles or cut production numbers. If Ford was intending to soften its production numbers it would make sense to release in a tighter end of the cycle. It's similar to what's happening in the Oil and Gas industry. To much supply and demand that has fallen flat. American automakers can't continue to pump and dump these vehicles full of incentives if they intend to make it in the changing environment.
The application systems I work on are for product supply and logistics for a large company, and I can tell you that ApollosWar89's comments pretty much echo one of many constraints that have to be balanced. Lead times, inventory levels, and cycle time to build are being forecast against demand. Even with all the planning, there can be supply constraints at the downstream suppliers affecting when production might start.

Also, i think the new powertrain technology is a big enough deal that there would a longer lead time to production to get through testing and responding to issues from that testing, particularly as they get closer to launch.

I can assure you most of the Product Supply people I know want to get things out faster and not purposefully delay going to market. These cycles are also tied to budgeting and financial cycles, which could be in conflict when we would want them. I agree that selling this car toward winter flies in the face of when many of us would get enjoyment from them. It's not an easy job to do, especially given the scope of suppliers who are part of the Mustang's supply chain.

That all said, this does remind me of the 2015 start-up cycle, although it is a bit off from when orders could be placed (May, 2014, for the 2015 as compared to July, 2017 for the 2018) and production started (end of Aug, 2014 for the 2015 as compared to start of Oct, 2017 for the 2018).

If Ford didn't release info on the 2018 until later, it might have left us with much less of a gap between initial publicity and the start. However, many of us would probably be saying "why doesn't Ford tell us anything about the 2018? It's going to be the new model year soon and we still haven't heard anything! :)"

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
So this is not a official Ford document, this is a hertz Rent-A-Car document. Is it possible the dates are for fleet vehicles for hertz's fleet? And not consumer cars???

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
So this is not a official Ford document, this is a hertz Rent-A-Car document. Is it possible the dates are for fleet vehicles for hertz's fleet? And not consumer cars???
nope, fleet vehicles are run on the same line at the same time as retail units. They do not get special dates.

MustangGT40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Focus Coupe
Check out the startup date for Tauras. Makes Mustang production look early.
Hardly a fair comparison, yearly volume on the Taurus in 2016 including the interceptor was 44k compared to 105k for the mustang.
Sponsored