2018 Mustang GT with PP1 5000 miles Buying Tips

SFSTANG415

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
I'm looking to trade up to a 2018 Mustang GT 6speed and a found one at a local dealership. Its a PP1 with 5000 miles on it / royal crimson. The car would mostly be driven on the weekends and not a daily driver. Carfax says it only had one owner with a clean title.I have been hearing about issues with this model (Ticks and rattles), What should I be looking out for when inspecting the vehicle? Or would I be better off purchasing a 2016-17 GT?
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
As far as the tick all years have some that do the dirty deed. I suggest asking the service manager run a VIS report on the car. It's easy to do no matter what they say, they just put the VIN in their computer. If there were any serious problems (warranty work) with the car in those first 5K miles it will show what the problem was, and the fix. If they refuse to run the report, I would walk away. That would make me think they are hiding something. Good luck. As far as the which to buy(15, '16, '17, or '18) IMHO that would be the one you like the most.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I suggest asking the service manager run a VIS report on the car. It's easy to do no matter what they say, they just put the VIN in their computer. If there were any serious problems (warranty work) with the car in those first 5K miles it will show what the problem was, and the fix. If they refuse to run the report, I would walk away.....
This sounds like excellent advice.

Thors12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thorsten
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Do your homework and have the car inspected before buying it. Car fax only tells you so much. I actually just bought a crimson 2018 convertible with pp1 and 3k miles. Just look it over properly. Don’t worry too much about the ticking noises. Every year has issues. If you need added peace of mind but an extended warranty ( pretty cheap). Drive it and enjoy it. Forums is mostly filled with folks complaining about issues so it is misleading.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I'm looking to trade up to a 2018 Mustang GT 6speed and a found one at a local dealership. Its a PP1 with 5000 miles on it / royal crimson. The car would mostly be driven on the weekends and not a daily driver. Carfax says it only had one owner with a clean title.I have been hearing about issues with this model (Ticks and rattles), What should I be looking out for when inspecting the vehicle? Or would I be better off purchasing a 2016-17 GT?
Auto or six speed?

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
With it being an 18, make sure the shift fork issue has been fixed. The early 18's with the MT-82 6sp manual used cast aluminum shift forks and they tended to break.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
It’s Royal Crimson, what’s not to like about that!

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
With it being an 18, make sure the shift fork issue has been fixed. The early 18's with the MT-82 6sp manual used cast aluminum shift forks and they tended to break.
Bad information. Common for this site.

There is no difference with the shift forks on the 18s and 19s. They need to break first before they are fixed.

From the TSB

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 5.0L - Manual Transmission - Inability To Drive In First And Second Gear
18-2267 30 August 2018
Model: Ford 2018-2019 Mustang
Issue: Some 2018-2019 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and a manual transmission may exhibit an inability to drive the vehicle in first and/or second gear. This may be due to a broken 1-2 shift fork. Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Last edited:

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe someone posted a pic of the difference in the 18/19 shift forks. If that is legit then the 19’s are beefier. Mine is a 19 but built in 18. The trans went out 1000 miles ago.

The 18’s did have known issues with the MT-82’s.

However, SFStang, don’t let it deter you. You’ll have warranty and if it goes boom you’ll get a new one that’s been corrected per the service sept that replaced mine.

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I believe someone posted a pic of the difference in the 18/19 shift forks. If that is legit then the 19’s are beefier. Mine is a 19 but built in 18. The trans went out 1000 miles ago.

The 18’s did have known issues with the MT-82’s.

However, SFStang, don’t let it deter you. You’ll have warranty and if it goes boom you’ll get a new one that’s been corrected per the service sept that replaced mine.
Christ - the TSB above clearly states 18s and 19s - and your 19 failed. My 18 hasn't. You have an 19 that was built in 18 - so that makes yours an 18 that failed? Is that what you are implying? I've seen no evidence to suggest the 19 is any different just people on here assuming it is. The only issues that seem specific to the 18 certain build date (via TSB) is a gear shift lever - not internal to the trans - and only takes a couple hours to resolve.

Because of all the fear mongering this site nourishes along with false info I spent 1080.00 on the Ford Premium Care 96 month warranty to be safe - so at least I'm covered (1K is cheap enough for me to bite.) Flood Ford online is where you find it for a great price - do NOT buy from the dealer as it would likely cost 5K or more.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Christ - the TSB above clearly states 18s and 19s - and your 19 failed. My 18 hasn't. You have an 19 that was built in 18 - so that makes yours an 18 that failed? Is that what you are implying? I've seen no evidence to suggest the 19 is any different just people on here assuming it is. The only issues that seem specific to the 18 certain build date (via TSB) is a gear shift lever - not internal to the trans - and only takes a couple hours to resolve.

Because of all the fear mongering this site nourishes along with false info I spent 1080.00 on the Ford Premium Care 96 month warranty to be safe - so at least I'm covered (1K is cheap enough for me to bite.) Flood Ford online is where you find it for a great price - do NOT buy from the dealer as it would likely cost 5K or more.
All I can tell you is this. My car, a 2019 built in July 2018, blew its trans at 5000 miles. The trans was built in 2018 making it part of the “problem year/batch”. That doesn’t mean every one is going to fail. Like yours I’ve met more than a few who have 10-16k miles on theirs and not a peep of an issue.

But when I was talking to various service depts at three different dealers each one said that the 18’s were known to have fork and synchro issues. One dealer had three 18’s in there for the same issue and forks were on back order.

The dealer who replaced mine said the trans’ were on National backorder because so many had failed. Additionally the tech told me that the ones being used now had been reengineered.

All of this is anecdotal and I don’t really subscribe to the fear mongering. I’d still buy the same car and I’d buy an 18 without hesitation. However I’d keep it in my mind that the issues could arise because they’ve happened frequently. No big deal. So I’d tell the same to anyone buying a 2018...just don’t be surprised if it blows.

Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
i would say don't let the shift forks and everything else scare and prevent you from getting the car. I was wanting to get a 19 thinking that the tick and shift fork issues were fixed but after research, they are still the same so I got my 18. Mine was built in December 2017 and the forks haven't broke yet with 14K miles. And if anything does happen, that why we have warranty. Try getting an Oasis Report on the car if the dealer doesn't give it to you.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Man, drive what you want to drive. I tiptoe out of my development with the Old Retired Man Switch (tm) turned on, and when I turn the corner... Sport+ mode it is all the way to and from work, rowing gears as hard as I want, listening to that sweet music as I go. Some percentage of cars are going to have trouble, the rest are just going to run. As everyone else says, that's what warranties are for. If you're to the point in life where you can afford the depreciation of a Mustang vs. a Civic - welcome. You've earned it.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O