Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT vs 2018 BMW M4

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
No reason in the world to put up with crappy Ford assembly quality when you can afford an M4.

As much as I like my Mustang, It's a Mustang. Love the car for what it is....but comparing it to an M4 is a bit dilusional. It's more than performance that makes a difference. Unless performance is the ultimate goal, the BMW would beat every other aspect of owning a Mustang of any type.

How many people here if offered an M4 for their Mustang would refuse?
I think many people here could be in an M4 if we wanted an M4. I cross-shopped the M2, M3 and M4.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
A Ford is not a BMW. I was not so politely verbally reminded of that by the fixed operations director (whatever that means) of a Ford dealer when I compained about finish issues on my Mustang.

I called Ford and told them what he said. I'd LOVE to see him say that to someone who has a Ford GT.

And everyone wonders why our cars have quality issues.......People like that in the wrong job.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Bro, I have owned BMW's for nearly 23 years.

The M4 has no more quality than any other 4 series BMW. Just like the M2 has no more quality than 2-series BMWs.

BMW makes too many models to worry about oldschool quality anymore. You are being fooled by marketing. BMW doesn't have bumper to bumper for 6 years anymore... lol
True that the build quality of the M4 is equal to the standard 4 series...but the quality of the 4 series is so far above and beyond the Mustang in the first place that I don't see your point at all. People need to understand, in the automotive world, you get what you pay for.

I had a 440i convertible loaner when my E92 was getting serviced last year and what a solid car. It felt extremely rigid despite being a convertible and the interior quality was fantastic.

If I had to get a BMW right now, it would probably be the new M2 Competition. :love:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
BMW's fit & finish is far above the Mustangs, not the quality of materials & components.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
The BMWs price is also far above the Mustang. An M4 ‘vert speced similarly to my GT ‘vert would be another $20K! :eyebulge:
I'd suspect the purchase price would be higher... quick look:

2018 GT Mustang 42,000 (wow price) -- msrp 49k

2019 BMW M4 vert (cheapest) 87,000 (maybe get it for 82k?)

A regular 2019 4 series 440i vert is around 61k at cheapest... average 63/64k.

There is no comparison... 440i/m4 is a different look and feel. Depends on what you are after.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The BMWs price is also far above the Mustang. An M4 ‘vert speced similarly to my GT ‘vert would be another $20K! :eyebulge:
When I was buying my '16 GT convertible at the end of '15, an M4 Cab would've been _twice_ as much. I got my Perf Pack car, with every option, including the nicer Premier interior for $42K, not sure what discounts BMW was offering, but a loaded M4 Cab was around $80K.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
How many people here if offered an M4 for their Mustang would refuse?
Me. I've had 4 BMWs. Could have easily bought a 5th. The 18+ Mustang finally cleared the features and quality bar for me. And after having owned at least 1 of every German and Japanese German competitor I thought it was time for a change.

I'll say this about BMW that I cant say for Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura. They have bent over backwards for me making sure my car would perform well at the track.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Here is my story on 15 m4 dct with dinan exhaust and dinan power module. At the time I had a 14 GT Cali Special auto. My mods were offroad x, bullet mufflers, cobra jet intake, big mono tb, JLT cai, Lund tuned 100 octane. On street tires at my track 1500’ (never ran below 2200 DA) it was 12.1 car @ 115 plus.

We ran couple 50 mph pulls to 120 mph and we where door to door with me pulling a fender everytime on 2-3 shift. My 18 GT with just a tune runs quicker and faster than my 14.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was able to race my friends 2017 M4. i really don't know much about M4's. I know he has the one with the Carbon Fiber roof. If that means anything at all or even relevant. I though i would mention it. Otherwise he has a K&N Drop in filter. No tune.

I have a base 2018 GT with 10spd Automatic Trans, Drop in K&N, Ford Performance X Pipe. I run my stang on 87 octane only.

We raced on a 40 roll (in Mexico) to about 120. I was in the Track Mode on my car. I'm not sure what mode he was in i would have to ask him.

We were pretty much dead even the whole way. Right at the end i feel like the M4 was starting to pull just a hair on me. We have not been able to match up again. But we plan to once it gets nice out. I would really like to go to the drag strip before either of us does any other mods and run them a few times.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
BMW M4 coupe - 3,495 pounds
BMW M4 vert - 4,000 pounds

Mustang - 3,705 pounds

If we're talking base base base base level cars, yes. I have a friend who works for a BMW dealership and he said the CZP or whatever car is unusually heavy, knocking on the door of 3,700lbs. I find this a little eyebrow raising for a car with lots of carbon and an all aluminum unibody.

Let's be real, most of our Mustangs they way they really are spec'ed out are probably in the high 3700's to 3800 lbs flat mark.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was able to race my friends 2017 M4. i really don't know much about M4's. I know he has the one with the Carbon Fiber roof. If that means anything at all or even relevant. I though i would mention it. Otherwise he has a K&N Drop in filter. No tune.

I have a base 2018 GT with 10spd Automatic Trans, Drop in K&N, Ford Performance X Pipe. I run my stang on 87 octane only.

We raced on a 40 roll (in Mexico) to about 120. I was in the Track Mode on my car. I'm not sure what mode he was in i would have to ask him.

We were pretty much dead even the whole way. Right at the end i feel like the M4 was starting to pull just a hair on me. We have not been able to match up again. But we plan to once it gets nice out. I would really like to go to the drag strip before either of us does any other mods and run them a few times.
Put an E85 tune on it. You would have raped him.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase

Try 92 or 93 Octane...see if it changes the equation a bit. Also, I think Drag mode will optimize for straight line.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Try 92 or 93 Octane...see if it changes the equation a bit. Also, I think Drag mode will optimize for straight line.
Good Call. I haven't actually tried the "Drag Mode" in my Stang yet. I usually go with Track Mode or Sport +.
Sponsored