Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Redline - 7400 or 7500?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The gen3 Coyote has more tq and doesn't have to be "spun-out".. to have full performance. (On the edge of redline has a bigger window.)
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Ford engineers and dozens of 2018 press reviews reveal there is 500rpm increase to the redline with the new engine, now up to 7500rpm. Ford release the new 2018 model without correction, and the redline is 7400rpm.

To this day, (because of that press) most people think the 2018 (and 2019) GT redline is at 7500rpm....including you and you own one with the redline staring you in the eyes every day! There is no 100rpm buffer. There is zero buffer. The redline is 7400rpm.
Ok...take a breath.....and relax. Jesus Christ, you're going to have a cardiac episode over this 100 rpm deal.

Manufacturers lie all the time. Remember the Terminator Cobra being rated for 390HP for insurance purposes when it actually was much higher? Remember the 2001 Z06 Corvette being rated for 405HP when it was actually MUCH lower?

Anyone willing to argue over 100 RPM's in a bar conversation is going to wind up being the first one on the ground when the brawl starts. WHO. CARES?

By the way, I said it was my $.02. I didn't say it was a fact that there was a buffer. And also, I don't look at the red line "staring me in the face everyday" as 1. I don't drive my car except on sunny weekends, and 2. When I do drive it, I don't death-stare the tach the entire time I'm in the car, especially with an automatic trans.

100 RPM difference. You should definitely sell the car if it is that much of a deal-breaker for you. All of the BS going on in the world today and this is what your world orbits around. Wow.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I remember reading that the '69 and '70 Boss 302s had a rev limiter (6,150 rpm). It was a little unusual back then, but the Boss had heads that could support HUGE rpm with 302 cubes. Most V8s would self-limit through lack of air flow and so the user would feel the power decreasing and logically shift to the next gear. I'm sure there are other examples of rev limiters from the 60s and early 70s, but I don't know about them.
Valve float was a very effective rev limiter in those days...

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have recorded myself hitting redline on a second gear pull (manual trans), fuel cutoff was at 7390. It may be different for standstill revs, but that seems to be what it is while moving. (edit) this was in sport mode, I'm not sure if it's different in track. I'll see if I can test it tonight.

Also, "redline" is fuel cutoff, not where the red line starts. Per the definition, it's the max engine speed achievable. Being marked with a red line is an "option", but is not dire to the definition

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Well, tried the same thing in track mode last night, still got 7390 RPMs.

Also, you can disagree all you want, but you're wrong. Dictionary definition, bud. It's the max engine RPM, not the little red indicators on the gauge...
Firstly, welcome to 1985. I posted the dictionary definition of redline in the first post of this thread.

Secondly, the redline on the tacho and fuel cut aren't always coincident.....that was what I was disagreeing with you about. I accept that in the case of the 2018 Mustang GT, based on your testing, they do appear to be the same.

Finally, thank you for your efforts confirming the 7400 redline :like:.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Firstly, welcome to 1985. I posted the dictionary definition of redline in the first post of this thread.
That's what I was quoting in my first comment, with "Per the definition, it's the max engine speed achievable"

Secondly, the redline on the tacho and fuel cut aren't always coincident.....that was what I was disagreeing with you about. I accept that in the case of the 2018 Mustang GT, based on your testing, they do appear to be the same.
I know they aren't, I think there was a miscommunication here. What I was trying to say, is essentially "redline" is kind of like slang for "fuel cut", and sometimes it just so happens to be marked on the tach with a red line.

Finally, thank you for your efforts confirming the 7400 redline :like:.
Of course, always glad to help out!

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Fewer people over-revving it?

I don't think there's any hard rule about where to set a redline indication. Eventually it comes back to however much margin the mfr is comfortable with, relative to any number of things.

It could be that 7500 is fuel cut and 7400 on the gauge is just enough lower to help people use as much of that as possible without actually having fuel get cut on them when they're running hard.

Norm

Well often there is a soft ignition limit that is followed a bit higher by a hard fuel cut.

My '15 tach makes it look like a 6500 redline, but all the magazines & specs say 7000. And I have seen various post suggesting it was actually 6800. I have only hit the limiter once, but I was on track passing another car and was too busy to check what the tach said.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Going to the dyno soon with my 2018 GT manual. Will let you guys know what I find out.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Not for anything built with carburetors and points/condenser distributors. A hard, rpm-based, fuel cut needs some sort of electronic link between ignition and fueling.

Early electronic ignitions may have effectively had a rev limit through their modules' inability to reliably provide a good enough spark at higher rpms. But that would have been more of a side effect to the main reason for their existence (dealing with lean mixtures and early emission-control tech). Not that early emissions-era OE heads and cams were good enough at higher rpms to make it worth going up there in the first place.

Norm
You sure about that?

http://www.boss302.com/rev.htm

The 1969 and 1970 boss had a factory installed rev limiter.

FWIW if anyone is really that curious take your car out, and datalog it. See where it shifts with an auto(use the various modes) and if you have a manual just fucking send it in like 3rd gear till it stops.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Well redlined in third (for the first time) my MY19 Bullitt the other week. The Tach hit 7,400, and before I could react, it was promptly followed by fuel cutoff…. I wasn't glued to the Tach, so can't say 100% if it went past 7,400 or not.....

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
7350 is the cutoff in the tune.
Sponsored