Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT - Procharger HO Stage 1 Low Boost Issue

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Oh wow, that's a huge loss of boost. I'll educate myself a bit more on the possibility of loss due to that.
Also went to high humidity at 85. Density altitude strongly effects boost reading. 3,000 feet of da change can result in several pounds. I went to 4.13 pulley and got it all right back.
Sponsored

OP
OP

zzevolzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Auto) - Procharger HO Stage 1
I did verify that the stock pulley for my kit is indeed 4.38". The Procharger tech said that on the 4.38", it should make 6.5lbs. For now, i'll go down 2 sizes and see where that gets me with a custom tune. Upgrading the fuel components is on my list of things that will eventually happen, but not yet.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I did verify that the stock pulley for my kit is indeed 4.38". The Procharger tech said that on the 4.38", it should make 6.5lbs. For now, i'll go down 2 sizes and see where that gets me with a custom tune. Upgrading the fuel components is on my list of things that will eventually happen, but not yet.
When I first did my HO kit I had a 4.0" pulley and was at 7.2 lbs of boost. Worked my way to a 3.7" and ended up at a 3.5" which maxed out the impeller speed on the P1 at 7600 engine rpm...its a game of trials....remember there are a lot of things that affect psi - intake mods, exhaust mods, engine rpm, DA....almost no two cars are exactly alike.
If you go to a custom tuner (which I highly recommend) - Lund and PBD are two of the best - they will probably require you to make changes to the fuel system before they will tune it. Definitely a BAP and maybe injector size depending on what you have now.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
When I first did my HO kit I had a 4.0" pulley and was at 7.2 lbs of boost. Worked my way to a 3.7" and ended up at a 3.5" which maxed out the impeller speed on the P1 at 7600 engine rpm...its a game of trials....remember there are a lot of things that affect psi - intake mods, exhaust mods, engine rpm, DA....almost no two cars are exactly alike.
If you go to a custom tuner (which I highly recommend) - Lund and PBD are two of the best - they will probably require you to make changes to the fuel system before they will tune it. Definitely a BAP and maybe injector size depending on what you have now.
I spoke with Lund when I was first starting and while they told me they would tune on the lu47s that come with the kit, they prefer ID1050x or similar.

OP
OP

zzevolzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
At the moment, I have all stock fuel components. Would you happen to have any idea on what the 2018's can handle at the wheels or boost pressure before requiring a BAP and/or upgraded injectors? How much of a change did you see from the 4.0 to 3.7 to 3.5?

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
At the moment, I have all stock fuel components. Would you happen to have any idea on what the 2018's can handle at the wheels or boost pressure before requiring a BAP and/or upgraded injectors? How much of a change did you see from the 4.0 to 3.7 to 3.5?
I have a BAP for ya that just came off my car. Shoot me a PM if interested.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on if you are a gambler or not. Fuel is the one thing not to mess around with. Anymore than where you are at now...bigger injectors for sure and BAP shortly after that. On psi you can figure roughly 1 psi per pulley size. On the 3.7 I was in the 9.5 - 10.5 range and 630ish on 93. Switched to E85 and got to 710 on the 3.7 and finally 750ish on the 3.5....on 6rib set up.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@80FoxCoupe is a great seller...you can trust you are getting quality parts from him... not to mention the fastest P1SC-! car on here...:like:

69Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
Hi mate, what was the outcome if any from your pulley change? Any update?

OP
OP

zzevolzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
Hi mate, what was the outcome if any from your pulley change? Any update?
So, long story short, I went down from the 4.35 pulley to a 4.10 pulley. Still felt like I wanted more power, so I dropped down again to a 3.85. Also, I purchased the BAP and had Rob Shoemaker from PBD remotely tune the car. I had it dyno'ed on the 4.10 pulley and was just shy of 600 to the wheels. On the 3.85 pulley, i'm making right around 9.2lbs. Haven't dyno'ed it with the latest pulley, but I can feel a huge difference and am happy with it. No boost leaks or anything like that, so the mystery of why I wasn't making the advertised boost was never solved. BTW, Rob from PBD was awesome to work with.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Go to stage 2, e85 and run the same sized upper pulley for a bigger gain.
Sponsored