2018 Mustang GT Premium comes with multitude of problems

kyledron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
So I have 6,000 miles on a brand new 2018 GT Premium and i have had these issues starting from least worrying to WTF. "Service tire Mobility Kit," I have had this stupid message every time I start up my car and yes, I have taken it to get serviced to no avail. I first noticed my shaker audio sub-woofer was rattling whenever any bass was played (even at low sound levels) around the first month of having the car. It is a metallic rattle and seems to be the vibration of the plastic frame. I tweaked some screws and lubed them as well and I only get the rattle on occasion. during the same time, I had a terrible ticking noise come from my engine for a few days during all levels of acceleration. I thought i probably got some watered down 87 and decided to clear the tank and refill with 93. The issue went away after a few tank swaps but I fear I may have had piston slap upon recent investigation. I have not yet had a my engine scoped out but plan on doing so in the near future. Next came the occasional "Service AdvancTrak" message as I drive. For those of you who don't know what this does, it resets your driving mode and steering to default setting which can be a bit of a surprise when driving on busy streets since it changes how hard/soft you have to turn the wheel. The last and scariest problem I just got today was a "Steering Control Failure." I was driving and when this happened I nearly shit myself because I almost crashed. If you have no idea what steering control failure may imply, it means that the electric steering assist malfunctioned casing the steering wheel to be nearly impossible to turn unless you are strong enough. It is a shame that this car has so many problems brand new and I hate to bash it but trust me when I say, you should at least wait to buy one until they address these issues for the 2018 or 2019 models for safety sake.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kyledron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ohh, and I forgot to include that about %10 of the time i use the key fob to start the car it will spool slightly and then fail to start. If I'm in a crowded parking lot I sometimes avoid using it for embarrassment purposes lol. It really does make it look like a flashy pile o' poo.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The mobility kit error - have you tried resetting it in the main menu (via dash cluster)?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The mobility kit error - have you tried resetting it in the main menu (via dash cluster)?
He should be seeing that message in 4 years, not now.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
So I have 6,000 miles on a brand new 2018 GT Premium and i have had these issues starting from least worrying to WTF. "Service tire Mobility Kit," I have had this stupid message every time I start up my car and yes, I have taken it to get serviced to no avail. I first noticed my shaker audio sub-woofer was rattling whenever any bass was played (even at low sound levels) around the first month of having the car. It is a metallic rattle and seems to be the vibration of the plastic frame. I tweaked some screws and lubed them as well and I only get the rattle on occasion. during the same time, I had a terrible ticking noise come from my engine for a few days during all levels of acceleration. I thought i probably got some watered down 87 and decided to clear the tank and refill with 93. The issue went away after a few tank swaps but I fear I may have had piston slap upon recent investigation. I have not yet had a my engine scoped out but plan on doing so in the near future. Next came the occasional "Service AdvancTrak" message as I drive. For those of you who don't know what this does, it resets your driving mode and steering to default setting which can be a bit of a surprise when driving on busy streets since it changes how hard/soft you have to turn the wheel. The last and scariest problem I just got today was a "Steering Control Failure." I was driving and when this happened I nearly shit myself because I almost crashed. If you have no idea what steering control failure may imply, it means that the electric steering assist malfunctioned casing the steering wheel to be nearly impossible to turn unless you are strong enough. It is a shame that this car has so many problems brand new and I hate to bash it but trust me when I say, you should at least wait to buy one until they address these issues for the 2018 or 2019 models for safety sake.
Slow down. Work on the problems, don't make things worse by getting all dramatic.

Service tire warning can be changed in the cluster.
Bass rattle? Sounds like it was a couple of loose screws that you fixed.
Ticking stopped with a fill up so what's the problem? Piston slap doesn't fix itself, and you have no evidence anyway.
Get the other warnings fixed at a dealer. Those sound like real issues.

So, you do any mods at all? Install anything under the hood or behind the dash? Just asking.

OP
OP

kyledron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have done nothing to the car. I'm not hopping on the piston slap train, I got it serviced a long time ago before I even knew that was a thing. the service center and myself at the time had no clue what it was but that noise isn't something I would like to sweep under the rug. I told the technician two days ago that it was unlikely to be piston slap but I would still like to know what would have caused the noise to begin with. It may have been just bad gas but I'd rather not be lazy and forget about it on a $50k car.

You are correct on your summary. I may have come across a bit dramatic. The day I posted this, the car almost got me fucked up.
Sponsored