Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT PP1 Premium to C7 Corvette Z06?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Has anyone had a C7 Z06? It's been on my bucket list for a long time as my obtainable "dream car"...but I haven't driven one. I like the styling and exterior design better than the C8. Has anyone had one that can share the nitty gritty with me of living with one day to day? How's reliability? Have there been any known common troubles with the car? If so, were those resolved in newer models? I'm not talking about the early models overheating on the track, because I don't track my cars - just curvy mountain and back roads for me. I"m thinking more along the lines of issues with quality, durability, or reliability, i.e. any common problems to look out for, etc.

Are they mod friendly, i.e., will an intake and smaller pulley alone add considerable power (say, a bump to 700 crank hp)?

I've heard the paddle response on the A8 is terrible, so I'm leaning toward M7 because of that, even though it's slightly slower accelerating due to the time it takes to shift your own gears...any thoughts on that? I currently have the A10 in my Mustang GT and don't mind the paddle response under moderate or heavy throttle (they are slightly annoying and slow to respond under light throttle). I do like the A10 overall, quite a bit.

According to the magazines C7 Z06s trap about 126-127 mph in the 1/4 mile but I've seen stock A8 Z06s hitting 130 mph on Youtube. Compared to the A10 GT of 119 mph (MT) and 120 mph (C&D)... My GT has bolt ons and is quicker than stock (I've measured about 8-9% quicker acceleration once traction is no longer an issue with my current mods and lightening efforts).

THAT said, I love my GT, but with the C7 out of production, I'm thinking soon may be the time to pick up a used 2019 Z06 with a warranty still intact. Here's a pic from a couple of weeks ago:

1603589825196.png
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
A cousin has one and I have been looking for one, so I've borrowed his a couple times. It is much lighter than my GT and it is noticeable in handling and response. Steering is very quick. Quality is somewhat better than a Mustang, especially paint. The seat padding and support doesn't feel right... cheap foam? But it's still comparing a Chevy and a Ford, so the bar is pretty low. Cousin says he has never had a problem and the car has 30k miles. His car is a manual. I prefer my A10 because it's more fun to play with all the modes. 650hp in a car this light and small is plenty.

Other than acceleration, the Z06 compares unfavorably to my 2009 Porsche.... if that helps you.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I forgot to mention that my cousin said the upgrades yield decent results, but are expensive because you have to pay to get the ECU unlocked.

I'm finding pretty nice used ones in the low - mid $60k range. I'm thinking of waiting a few months and see how much convertibles are selling for.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good to know - thanks!

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Good luck with the glass casket plastic fantastic...

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They're pretty good cars. Definitely a hardcore sports car compared to a Mustang, which is more of a grand tourer. They still overheat on track though, to my knowledge that was never actually fixed without going to the aftermarket, kind of like our cars, lol. Could be outdated info though. Definitely get a manual one though, the corvette and manual go together like peanut butter and jelly. It's not that the auto is bad, but for a car like that, its a lot more fun with a manual. I may be biased, but honestly not that much in this case.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I have nothing bad to say about C7’s. I came very close to trading my 17 GT for a regular 19 2LT Stingray C7. Great car but it didn’t really wow me anymore than the mustang I already had and loved. So I put a blower on my stang.

A Blower on your 19 A10 will have you trapping higher than a Z06 for sure with the right parts combo.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
it's a better car on every single part... better brakes (even without z07 package), lighter, better suspension, fast af, super mod friendly... i've seen bolt-ons automatic z06 running high 9, lower 10... if you tell me base corvette, different story... but GS z07 or Z06 > mustang gt

the car won't overheat if you don't track it, never... 17 and up, chevy added better cooling hardware plus you have extra aftermarket options.. but that's only an issue if you track the car.

I love my mustang, but I'll change it for a C7 Z06 without hesitation... on a perfect world, I'll keep both. the A6 GT and the M7 z06/z07

PHX ATC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Toby
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT & 2020 Explorer ST & 2022 Porsche 911
We have a C7 (Z51, blah blah blah) coupe, not a Z06, and a 2020 Mustang with an E-brock supercharger on it and they are two different cars entirely.

If you can swing it, get both...although that Z06 isn't exactly wallet friendly.

The Z06 was a bit much for us these days, but if you want one, go get it and have fun with it!!!
Sponsored