Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT PP1 - One Year Ownership Review

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Guys,

I'm only a couple days away from hitting my 1 year Anniversary of my 2018 GT PP1 Mustang. I put my ownership experience into a small review that I plan to share on my social media soon. Let me know what you think of the review and add in any personal stories about your ownership experiences if you like!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are…. At the 1-year Anniversary of when I bought my 2018 Mustang GT. This car had EVERYTHING just the way I wanted, favorite color, Performance Pack 1, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, 301A package, and a beautiful stripe down the center to top it all off. It was my third attempt of buying a Mustang GT and I knew the second I saw it online… I HAD to get THIS one. This thing only had 7,000 miles on it, and I was able to get it for $30,500…. (original MSRP of $42K).

This is one of the older 2018 GT’s meaning it has been on the road since January 2018…. So nearly 3 years on the road and so far, no major issues with it. The car has only been inside dealerships for the standard oil changes/maintenance. In my year worth of driving it, I have only had 1 issue with it…. About a week after getting it the battery died in it. I won’t hold that against this car or Ford because that can happen to any car… 100 different things could’ve caused that… but otherwise, no issues at all with the car. The car now has about 12,600 miles on it and is doing just fine.

Now let me give you my opinions overall, (1-10 Scale…. 10 being AMAZING), on the 2018 Mustang GT PP1:

Aesthetics: 10/10
Engine: 8/10
MT-82 Manual Transmission: 4/10
Handling: 7/10
Ride Quality: 8/10

Overall Score: 37/50

Obviously these scores are only of my opinion… starting with the Aesthetics: I think there is no better-looking Muscle Car… than the modern-day Mustang. It just looks incredible and always makes you do a double take every time you leave the car. It just looks so incredibly amazing and it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

The Coyote V8 Gen 3 gets an 8/10 for me. The motor makes so many great noises and has SO MUCH pull all the way to redline. It is a brilliant motor. I am only docking it a few points because in 2018+, these motors make a bad “2k rattle noise” under light acceleration around 2k RPMS. Ford offers no fix other than saying the noise is a “normal characteristic” of the engine itself. Most people have gotten around this by installing aftermarket exhausts that basically cover up the noise.

The problem-spot in this review is the MT-82 Manual Transmission. It is not designed to handle the HP or Torque of the Coyote V8 Gen 3. There have been busted shift forks with this transmission, people have been getting locked out of gears at high RPM shifts, grinding gears, grinding clutches… all sorts of issues. In my personal case, my car has been okay and has not had any transmission work done to it. If you drive it somewhat civilized on the road, it is pretty much ok…. But if you try and push it like you are on the racetrack… good luck. Its pretty much ridiculous Ford thinks this is an acceptable transmission in this car… disappointing. A performance car with a manual transmission that doesn’t like to be pushed hard? Yeah… not good.

Handling/Ride Quality: With this car having the PP1 on it, I expected my canyon drives to be a little bit better honestly…. This car is sort of all over the place in the handling department. You would probably expect it to be connected to the road a little more than it is…. Pretty sloppy most of the time. The plus side of it though, is the actual ride quality of the car. Even over bad pavement, this car does not beat you up AT ALL. It is an extremely comfortable cabin to ride in and the car does not beat you up at all. You can easily spend all day in this car road tripping and feel great. It is an absolutely stunning daily driver too.

I may of sounded harsh in this review, but I want you to know I absolutely love this car just as much as the day I bought it a year ago. It was one of the best, most rewarding days of my life…. Period. Hard to get anything better than this for just over $30k…. especially NOW in present day.

I could never drive a Charger/Challenger… those cars are too old and I cannot stand Fiat-Chrysler…. A modern Camaro is impressive, especially since you can get a Manual TREMEC in a 1SS or 2SS for about $40-45K new… but that car does not tingle all my sense like a Mustang.

I cannot explain it to you… other than a Mustang just feels a bit more special than all the other Muscle cars.

IMG_39141.jpg
IMG_39031.jpg
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
what tires do you have on it? that may explain the handling concerns

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I also have a 2018 GT PP1, which I bought new, and like yours, I got it with the exact options, color and features that I wanted, and am very satisfied with it. I got the 401A, Magneride, and the 10-speed auto, which I got because I wasn't thrilled with the changes made to the manual. Thank you for confirming that I made the right choice :).

I also agree that I love the way it looks - every time I walk out to get in it, I am struck by how much I like it.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I also have a 2018 GT, PP1, 301A but instead of the M6 I opted for the 10R80. It has Magneride and active exhaust. 2 best mods I’ve done is digital dash and added a double “X” pipe to get the exhaust a little louder in sport and track modes.

It’s the best car I’ve ever owned and love driving it whether it’s a run to the store or hundreds of miles in a day. Next month will make 2 years and 21k miles. I wouldn’t change a thing.
Sponsored