Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT owners : Listen to your engine for rattles..could be that...!!

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I’m amazed at people who criticize others looking into potential problems on a relatively new engine that has zero track record. Sure if it was a 2017 you could say maybe wait and see before you press the panic button. But with a new manufacturing process in a critical area, all I can say is thanks to these guys for looking into it and bringing it to our attention. I was actually contemplating a move up to the 2018 as I figured that may be one of the most powerful V8s before they go extinct, but because of the timely input into possible problems I have put off that purchase. These guys may have saved me considerable grief. They are doing you a service in his Mustang community. So I for one applaud their efforts.
working yourself into a frenzy or spreading "the sky is falling" hype before you even have a diagnosis as to if there is or isn't a problem is NOT productive or helpful. sure there have been a few confirmed issues but it's certainly not (at least not yet) a widespread issue. I've been doing some research and the HPFP's are known to have varying noise levels and make noises very much like what has been described by many people in this forum.
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I’m pretty sure a leakdown test would be good. Car drives fine and show no oil consumption FOR NOW.
My issue is that the rattle is now considerably more noticeable than before, to the point it annoys me. As you said, the mark is very light, which I don’t challenge. But if the piston clearance were good :

- I wouldn’t hear this rattle
- these marks would’nt be here

The coating on the cylinder wall is probably few hundreds to low tenth of millimeters thick(unless someone has the information). Any visible mark can expose bare aluminum. You guys need to forget your previous experiences of previous sleeved blocks, this new coating is not near as thick as these.

Personaly I don’t want to play with a $15000 dollars engine...

As far as clearance cylinder/piston I don’t have the number either.
Out of curiosity, what makes you believe it's the piston and not any number of other things turning and cycling in the engine? Seems much more likely to be something in your valve chain, like a weak chain tensioner, bad phaser (VVT sprocket), lifters, cam bearing, or any number of pullies on all the turning things on the front of the engine. Not that it is necessarily any of those either, but what makes you jump straight to the piston?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's true also [MENTION=32723]Bald Menace[/MENTION]. HPFPs are known to have a noise like this. My friend brought his Mazdaspeed 3 into the dealer not long after buying because it sounded like valvetrain clatter.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
These are always difficult situations. When something doesn’t seem quite right, but you don’t have enough information to know for sure, and there are not any obvious signs of problems.

My GT350 has some similar issues. Burns oil pretty fast compared to other cars. Has an unusual resonance at low RPM, rattled under light throttle between 2000 and 3000 RPM. But it makes good power and runs smoothly. Has 30,000 miles with several track days.

So, what are your options? In my case, I’m just driving the engine the way I normally would, and we will see what happens. No point in worrying about it until something actually does go wrong. At that point I will evaluate my options and go from there.

I do mention my symptoms to the dealer just so I have some documentation of issues if anything eventually does happen, but I don’t expect them to do anything at this time.

I hope the OP is able to find a solution that works for him. It can be distracting to wonder about the state of the engine all the time, but there is also a warranty to handle this sort of thing. I still think the best action is to monitor the sound, but to keep driving the car the way you always would and see what happens.

-T

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
working yourself into a frenzy or spreading "the sky is falling" hype before you even have a diagnosis as to if there is or isn't a problem is NOT productive or helpful. sure there have been a few confirmed issues but it's certainly not (at least not yet) a widespread issue. I've been doing some research and the HPFP's are known to have varying noise levels and make noises very much like what has been described by many people in this forum.

It worked for me as I ditched any plans to get a 2018. And it probably made others wait for the 2019 which is no too far off. Have you seen how people obsess about cars here? :crazy: So is there any surprise when some are trying to get to the truth as fast as possible. If this thread is a bother for anyone then just don’t look in. Whatever, let the guys do their thing and see what happens - especially Ford’s reaction to it.

I’ll add one more thing. Prior to the net, if there was no recall you would think you were the only one with that particular problem. This was advantageous to the car companies. But now we have the means to quickly alert everyone on a possible problem. That to me if preferable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry...not worried about it despite the screaming FONT in the title by the OP. Seems ridiculous to me to get worked up over a poor quality scope image. I entered for the entertainment value only...not to stress over. If it breaks, that's what the warranty is for.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Why would you sell a 2017 V6 to buy a 2018 V8?
If you had wanted a V8 then perhaps you should have bought one last year, or is the V6 a bit of a let down?

The V6s have very good resale here so I had a chance to get a V8 especially a 2017 if I wanted and could find one. If I wasn’t a member here I would not have had an itch. All my previous cars were V8s and the last engine before this one was an LT1. So one car I wanted (2017) got sold that week staring me in the face with a sold sign. I also thought about a 2018 but way too many issues and all over the place so no go there. I’m buying a weekend car now and was looking at a ZL1 or Stingray. People say the ZL1 is rare but I checked out 2 this week alone. I’m probably keeping the V6 as a DD.

I blame the V6 and this place for reignighting my interest in cars. Finding I had an extra 150 grand in equity this week didn’t hurt that cause either. :D

Oh, I got the V6 as I could negotiate it under the Capital Cost Allowance limit for that category for tax purposes. Yes sacrilege here but that was the thinking at the time. The car is fine and zero problems. So I repay that reliability by trying to sell it. :lol:

Last edited:

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
put yourself in fords position for a minute..and I have spent a bit of time thinking about it myself...they come up with a cool way to allow 12 to 1 compression but it makes your engine sound like shit, like its ready to blow...how do u sell something like that? So ford ignores it, now u have techs looking for shit that aint there and people blowing up boards,not doing leakdown tests..scaring the shit out of other people,costing ford more 100's of thousands if not millions...I think honesty is the solution even in the age of trump..they need to start telling people your engine is going to sound like shit but we're getting u 12 to 1 compression.. this is the price...I was showing people at the dragstrip last night the foam covering around the fuel pump and having a good laugh as my rattling old ford pulled 11.90s in 85 degree heat.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
put yourself in fords position for a minute..and I have spent a bit of time thinking about it myself...they come up with a cool way to allow 12 to 1 compression but it makes your engine sound like shit, like its ready to blow...how do u sell something like that? So ford ignores it, now u have techs looking for shit that aint there and people blowing up boards,not doing leakdown tests..scaring the shit out of other people,costing ford more 100's of thousands if not millions...I think honesty is the solution even in the age of trump..they need to start telling people your engine is going to sound like shit but we're getting u 12 to 1 compression.. this is the price...I was showing people at the dragstrip last night the foam covering around the fuel pump and having a good laugh as my rattling old ford pulled 11.90s in 85 degree heat.
just imagine being a Ford service dept and getting 4-5 of these types of complaints everyday (Mustangs and F150's). it could turn into an issue where they get enough that aren't an issue that they don't really pay attention to the relative few that actually have an issue.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Mine makes the same sound at 200 miles. I figure I've got 59,800 miles left to figure out if it's a problem or not. Until it's smoking and using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, they aren't going to be tearing my engine apart, that's for sure.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I just never got this unless it was a heavy modified car. You have a brand new car, you don't have any actual diagnosis to call it an issue... you can't even tell us exactly what it is, then why are you even going to worry about it? You're car came with a warranty for this exact reason. Ya it sucks when you do have to put your car in the shop for an issue but these are mass produced vehicles, it's impossible to make everyone EXACTLY the same.

Here I just hit 4k on mine today. Tomorrow will be a month since I picked it up. My thoughts have always been, 15k miles is usually a good spot to go "ok, I haven't hit any problems yet, car is going to be absolutely fine. Then I usually start modding them. I've heard some funny noises occasionally between the transmission whine and a little rattle on low RPM idle. But when I drive the car, it feels fine and is strong as hell so I'm going to enjoy it... If you happen to stomp it and it blows up, o well. Ford HAS to fix it for you.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
And see this topic :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

This is the picture I took this morning inside my cylinder#3 with my borescope :

big-7229149b07.jpg

Very slight rattle, hardly noticeable at first....

This is really bad as I see more an more people with this issue. Yes it doesn’t seem this bad by the engine has only 100h of running time...

2018 Mustang GT PP1, 5200miles
OMG... thats fugged up. WTF is that?
Is that VD? with Elephantiasis?
Already looks like it spread to piston walls. Other pistons are next.
Whatever you do, dont rub or pick at it, youll just lead to scarring and secondary infection.

You can fix this fairly easy. Op, post back up after you pull together the following:
3/4” pinking flange
Benzene ring
Kaframp stand
Bottle of Southern Comfort
Watermelon
Couple bananas
Live chicken
12” zip ties or pliers n coat hanger or twine

Let us know and well walk you thru the fix.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If it really bothers you (and it does) get a mechanics stethoscope and try to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from. You can get them for less than $10 and they come in handy.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
And see this topic :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

This is the picture I took this morning inside my cylinder#3 with my borescope :

big-7229149b07.jpg

Very slight rattle, hardly noticeable at first....

This is really bad as I see more an more people with this issue. Yes it doesn’t seem this bad by the engine has only 100h of running time...

2018 Mustang GT PP1, 5200miles

Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State

Greatest movie ever.