Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT owners : Listen to your engine for rattles..could be that...!!

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
And see this topic :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

This is the picture I took this morning inside my cylinder#3 with my borescope :

big-7229149b07.jpg

Very slight rattle, hardly noticeable at first....

This is really bad as I see more an more people with this issue. Yes it doesnā€™t seem this bad by the engine has only 100h of running time...

2018 Mustang GT PP1, 5200miles
Sponsored

Last edited:

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
why does that piston look like its been chewed up? even with 5k miles it should still have a newish look. is it the pic? the reflection on the cyl wall also look as bad.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
why does that piston look like its been chewed up? even with 5k miles it should still have a newish look. is it the pic? the reflection on the cyl wall also look as bad.
looks like Carbon to me.. and those marks aren't that big of a deal. looks like debris or dirt got in the cylinder

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I had a 1017 hp engine that had similar marks on teardown inspection after dyno break in and tuning. it was fine. light marks like that mean noting. a leak down and compression test mean more.

OP
OP

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
looks like Carbon to me.. and those marks aren't that big of a deal. looks like debris or dirt got in the cylinder
Then why the hell Ford would replace Bigriver short block with such similar marks ?

And please explain me how a debris or dirt would come into the engine which was never opened, 100% stock with stock airbox and filter...

Moreover the rattling noise comes from this side. And this is definitely not the HPFP.

At this mileage cylinder bore should look perfect. My C7 GS which 5500 miles of abuse (and not easy daily driving) looks like new inside.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Iā€™m not listening for chit. If something breaks while under warranty, Iā€™ll just take it in to get fixed.

Itā€™s mechanical and a first year run. Donā€™t obsess over everything posted on the internet. Drive and enjoy it.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Then why the hell Ford would replace Bigriver short block with such similar marks ?

And please explain me how a debris or dirt would come into the engine which was never opened, 100% stock with stock airbox and filter...

Moreover the rattling noise comes from this side. And this is definitely not the HPFP.

At this mileage cylinder bore should look perfect. My C7 GS which 5500 miles of abuse (and not easy daily driving) looks like new inside.
carbon on top of the piston.. this can break loose and rub against the cylinder wall and cause what you are seeing. a leak down test and compression test will tell if the marks are cosmetic or if they are affecting operation. i'm guessing Ford will have the tech perform these diagnostic tests to determine how the engine cylinder seal is at this point.

Sponsored

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Iā€™m not listening for chit. If something breaks while under warranty, Iā€™ll just take it in to get fixed.

Itā€™s mechanical and a first year run. Donā€™t obsess over everything posted on the internet. Drive and enjoy it.
exactly, more hyperbole then anything at his point

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The bore uses a new process in mass production and this is the first year. I donā€™t blame the guy one bit for bringing it up. At least he is actually examining it inside. Give the guy a break and see what happens. He isnā€™t the only one after all...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That bore-scope pic is a tad too blurry.

It could be nothing, or it could be something. But it is worth checking into, and making sure it is not the "new process" not being applied properly, etc.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Mach 1 on order; ā€˜18 Mustang GT (sold)
carbon on top of the piston.. this can break loose and rub against the cylinder wall and cause what you are seeing. a leak down test and compression test will tell if the marks are cosmetic or if they are affecting operation. i'm guessing Ford will have the tech perform these diagnostic tests to determine how the engine cylinder seal is at this point.
I still wouldn't feel comfortable with Ford saying "well the compression test came back fine so nothing to see here move along." Something has created that scuffing on cylinder bore wall, presumably into the coating that Ford is using now rather than the liners. Whatever caused that damage is likely still there short of you finding it in the oil and I HIGHLY doubt it is carbon related with only a few thousand miles. Carbon buildup bad enough to scuff cylinder bores would take much longer than a few thousand miles to form unless you had a serious oil carryover issue driving carbon buildup (no evidence of that by the top part of the piston visible in the picture). Outside of being cosmetic it will effect how oil lubricates the piston and rings so no way I would be okay with that kind of damage. Just my 2 cents. Good luck OP.
Sponsored