Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Oil Filter Wrench/Socket Size

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What’s the OEM oil filter socket size for the 2018 Mustang GT? What is everyone using to get the OEM oil filter off?

This one differs from my last mustang since it has a lot more flutes.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
What’s the OEM oil filter socket size for the 2018 Mustang GT? What is everyone using to get the OEM oil filter off?

This one differs from my last mustang since it has a lot more flutes.
I use a strap wrench. Either the one with a with a nylon strap or the one with a metal strap. I've owned both for decades. Use cardboard, newspaper, etc. backed up with paper towels to keep the oil off the hard to clean stuff under the filer.

FYI be sure to clean the pan drain hole and the drain plug better than you think you need to. Maybe even use a mirror to see into the drain hole if you are working from the front of the car and cannot see directly into the drain hole. After my second oil change the plug leaked a LOT even before moving the car out of the garage. I bought a new plug and another 10 Qts of Valvoline synthetic but fortunately was able to loosen, wiggle, tighten, etc. a few times without removing the plug such that whatever caused the problem was corrected. Only lost about 1/2 quart of oil.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, a filter should be put on hand-tight, not torqued down with any tool. One of the issues is that some oil-change places tighten them too much, and then you can't take them off by hand.

Then you have better quality after-market filters, and some of them come with textured surfaces on the outside specifically so you can only use your hands, and not a tool, to put them on and take them off.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Well, a filter should be put on hand-tight, not torqued down with any tool. One of the issues is that some oil-change places tighten them too much, and then you can't take them off by hand.

Then you have better quality after-market filters, and some of them come with textured surfaces on the outside specifically so you can only use your hands, and not a tool, to put them on and take them off.
I tighten by hand and only use the wrench if the filter is too hot or I'm too whimpy to remove it by hand. I was able to get an oem filter off by hand for the most recent change using high grip gloves.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Hand. From the factory is was loose enough to be unscrewed by hand, so glad they didn't torque it on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ok cool, I’ll give a try by hand. I previously had to torque down the one on my GT350.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
The filter on my wife’s Edge was so tight from the factory there was no way to get it off by hand. There wasn’t even any room to use a regular oil filter wrench. Ended up buying one of those wrenches with the three claws that you turn with a socket wrench. Those things are the sh!t.
I always hand tighten the filter but sometimes they just won’t come off by hand. This kind of wrench works every time.
Sponsored