Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Metallic-sounding rattle coming from dash/glove area?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
V
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2016 Range Rover Sport
Hey guys, been trying to ID this rattle for the past couple of months - I’m at my wit’s end, and about to be DONE with this car. This noise takes all the enjoyment out of driving it. It seems to come when the car is accelerating around 1500-1800rpms, or under load (incline) especially, however (as seen in the video) it comes when the road is smooth and flat as well. And this is nowhere near how loud it gets.

I’ve taken it to Ford; they can’t figure it out, or replicate it. I’ve taken it to reputable shops here in SA, and they’ve lifted it and searched for what they think the culprit is - no luck. No heat shield, nothing underneath rubbing. I’ve searched forums (such as these) with no luck, or anyone else even experiencing the same noise.

Here’s the kicker: I can’t reproduce it when someone over 100lbs is in the passenger seat. Yep. Weird. By myself, or with my daughter in the car, you can hear it (she thinks it’s coming from the dash/glove area).

I have a MagnaFlow catback which is loud and vibrates like crazy, but I got that in December; the noise started right around Feb, after getting the Street suspension kit added, a front/rear camera installed, and a subwoofer.

Any help or suggestions are welcome and GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Naturally Aspirated
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
V
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2016 Range Rover Sport
If weight on the seat affects it, could it be something with that? Maybe try removing the seat and seeing if the noise persists.
I have the same thoughts, however the sound is definitely coming from the front area - sounds like everywhere when it’s at its loudest (dash, glove, door, passenger A-pillar)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you been able to look up under the glove box (from under dash) - or looked inside of the tiny hideaway section found inside the glove box?

This may be a drastic step, but maybe remove the passenger seat and drive to see if the noise IS coming from the dash area and was not emanating from the interior of the seat or under the seat.

I would also check the following:

passenger door - tap on on it to see if you hear any rattles

Pop hood and throughly check everything near the firewall, battery area and along the side of the strut tower. Also look around the trans crossmember to make sure there’s nothing near it or running on it.

—-
Since you mention that if there is 100lbs+ on the passenger seat and the noise subsides - to me, the problem has to be seat related. Either something inside of the seat is loose, something under it is loose or something is dangling from under the seat touching another object causing the noise.
Sponsored