MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
There are some people who don't seem to understand the issue in the original post.

2015-2017 Mustang's = DRL unless it's dark out, otherwise they switch to full time lights
DRL = should be minimal exterior lighting (front inner hash lights and lower fog lights, not main headlights). Same behaviour is active for both Canada and US models.

2018+ Mustang's = there is no DRL behaviour as above. The lights are always on full (front headlights, tail-lights, lower fog lights etc)
2018 DRL should be the same as 2015-2017, with only the front inner hash lights and lower fog lights, instead of all the lights being full time all the time.

I have a 2019 and this is still an issue.
Hi Jim!

Thank you so much for your help, I will pass this on to my garage and see what they say / can do...hopefully it will be there..

Did she say by any chance why it might not be there?

Thank you!
I went to my local dealer and currently Ford techs are unable to fix the issue. When they attempt to change the DRL option, it crashes their interface program. They recommend trying Forscan as it gives access to many options they can't view or change with their interface program.

I believe the culprit here is that there is an option for DRL changes that has to be switched to ENABLE before any of the other DRL options can be saved properly. If you check the Forscan list you'll see that option.

My next step is to try this myself with Forscan once I get the proper OBDII connector.

Shout out to Cam Clark Ford in Richmond, BC for looking into this and trying to fix the issue. If any lives in the area I highly recommend their service department.
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Shout out to Cam Clark Ford in Richmond, BC for looking into this and trying to fix the issue. If any lives in the area I highly recommend their service department.
Bought my 2013 Escape and 2019 Bullitt my Cam Clark Richmond. Have had all my servicing done by them. Great people.

I would also like to change the DRL's to turn off the headlights and only run with the hash lights as the DRL's.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my 2013 Escape and 2019 Bullitt my Cam Clark Richmond. Have had all my servicing done by them. Great people.

I would also like to change the DRL's to turn off the headlights and only run with the hash lights as the DRL's.
Nice and congrats on your Bullitt! I recently bought my 2019 GT PP from them (Jerome in sales and sales manager Kenny). Great experience and excellent customer service all around.

Im still worked up over Ford installing the wrong rpm gauge in all 2018+ Mustang GT's with the km/h speedometer and analog gauges. They instead used the Ecoboost rpm gauge which only displays a 6500 rpm redline. The US GT's actually have the proper rpm gauge and displays the 7500 rpm redline. The issue is in a dedicated thread around here, and Ford is unwilling to do anything about it. Having the digital dash like yourself, you don't have to worry about it since it displays the proper redline.

I'll update this thread when I get the OBDII device. If it works and fixes the DRL issue and you still leave nearby I can fix it on your car too if you like.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
DRLs are not the main headlights in Canada for these cars. DRLs on these cars are the 3 shark fins and fog lamps, that is it. If you have any other lights on when you start the car there is something wrong. As well, main headlights should not be on if the park lights are selected (tail lights, side marker and front amber lights). Main headlights should only be on when you select that on the switch.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
Your Ford dealership just needs to use the IDS VCM/VCM II tool to re-Flash the ECU. As long as they have the US version of the software or can get it, you will be good to go.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Hi Carl, Yes I do and they work great.
I went out and installed LED's H11 bulbs to replace my Halogen bulbs in my Canadian Mustang. I like the results! Here is the brand I ordered off of Ebay. You can read about them and find a similar product in your country.

Thanks

CVCashmere
IMG_0374.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
DRLs are not the main headlights in Canada for these cars. DRLs on these cars are the 3 shark fins and fog lamps, that is it. If you have any other lights on when you start the car there is something wrong. As well, main headlights should not be on if the park lights are selected (tail lights, side marker and front amber lights). Main headlights should only be on when you select that on the switch.
I think you will find that is correct up MY17. But from MY18 the DRL are the headlights along with the hash lights....

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will find that is correct up MY17. But from MY18 the DRL are the headlights along with the hash lights....
That's the issue. The 2018+ Mustangs in Canada are not supposed to have full lights on all the time and the default setting is incorrect. For 2018+ models, the only time the correct DRL setting works (inner shark fin lights and lower 'fog' lights) is when the vehicle transmission is in Park. Moving to any other gears turns the full lights on, which needless to say will drastically reduce the life of the main headlight bulbs. The DRL behaviour should be the same as the US models, which also have the DRL feature and has been set correctly for 2017 and all previous Mustang model years, regardless of whether they are sent to Canada or the US.

I just received the OBII USB interface unit. I will try it out with Forscan and see if the proper DRL option can actually be set and saves properly on the Canadian models. I'll post later in the week with the results.

calistag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Well guys, I have a '19 GT Premium with the 401 (digital cluster) package. I also noticed that my lights were always on regardless of night or day. What I found in the advanced settings (disabling DAYTIME LIGHTS) corrected this behavior to where now during the day, only the shark fin lights come on when the engine is started and placed in any gear and with the lights switch in the auto lamp position. The steps are in the images I'm posting, however, I don't know if this works or you have the advanced settings in the non digital gauge cluster. Someone test and let us know please.
steps-to-DRL.jpg

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have a 2018 Canadian model and just checked my settings and I don’t have this option.

Also, I’ve noticed for Canadian models that it will look like the full lighting system is on for DRL the main lights are not actually. It’s almost like a secondary illumination giving that illusion.
4B0072AA-83FE-4231-A85A-80C45322334A.jpeg

Sponsored

calistag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018 Canadian model and just checked my settings and I don’t have this option.

Also, I’ve noticed for Canadian models that it will look like the full lighting system is on for DRL the main lights are not actually. It’s almost like a secondary illumination giving that illusion.
4B0072AA-83FE-4231-A85A-80C45322334A.jpeg
Very interesting. Thanks for checking.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I went to my local dealer and currently Ford techs are unable to fix the issue..

...my next step is to try this myself with Forscan once I get the proper OBDII connector./QUOTE]
Finally got around to using Forscan and I was able to fix the DRL issue!
Yesterday I finally got around to using ForScan and fixing the DRL issue. I'm happy to report that it worked! My DRL's now behave like the 2015-2017's (inner fin lights, orange corner lights, and lower fog lights. The DRL can also be forced by switching the lights to 'park' mode and will stay in that mode regardless of exterior lighting conditions. Full lights can still be forced by switching to 'lights' as before, and 'auto' will switch between DRL and full as usual.

These were the codes I changed for the DRL issues...
726-45-01: xxxx 7Fxx xxxx
726-26-02: x1xx xxxx xxxx
726-50-01: 04xx <<04 turns on the foglights with DRL, I will try 01 which doesn't turn on the foglights, hopefully this will still allow them to be used independently with the foglight switch on/off and work in DRL mode. This is how it worked with my 2017 GT).

There are a few more settings I'm going to try such as..
- 'dark mode' for the lighting options
- manually controlling the fog lights independently from the DRL's (currently they always come on with the DRL and can't be switch off),
- adding the option for Fog Lights to be activated as DRLs through the Instrument Cluster (IPC)
- adding the 'Vacuum/Boost' readings to the instrument cluster
- changing the panic alarm on the key fob so that it requires 2 presses instead of 1
- increasing the turn signal lane change # of flashes from the default of 3 (quick/temporary movement of turn signal lever
- turning on the 'Average Speed Indicator' within the Instrument Cluster (shows average speed between trip resets).

Now if someone could find a code that always displays the gear indicator while in auto 'drive' or auto 'sport' modes that would be great! The F-150 always shows the gear when in auto mode, so why doesn't the Mustang? :yawn:

Last edited:

calistag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I finally got around to using ForScan and fixing the DRL issue. I'm happy to report that it worked! My DRL's now behave like the 2015-2017's (inner fin lights, orange corner lights, and lower fog lights. The DRL can also be forced by switching the lights to 'park' mode and will stay in that mode regardless of exterior lighting conditions. Full lights can still be forced by switching to 'lights' as before, and 'auto' will switch between DRL and full as usual.

These were the codes I changed for the DRL issues...
726-45-01: xxxx 7Fxx xxxx
726-26-02: x1xx xxxx xxxx
726-50-01: 04xx <<04 turns on the foglights with DRL, I will try 01 which doesn't turn on the foglights, hopefully this will still allow them to be used independently with the foglight switch on/off and work in DRL mode. This is how it worked with my 2017 GT).

There are a few more settings I'm going to try such as..
- 'dark mode' for the lighting options
- manually controlling the fog lights independently from the DRL's (currently they always come on with the DRL and can't be switch off),
- adding the option for Fog Lights to be activated as DRLs through the Instrument Cluster (IPC)
- adding the 'Vacuum/Boost' readings to the instrument cluster
- changing the panic alarm on the key fob so that it requires 2 presses instead of 1
- increasing the turn signal lane change # of flashes from the default of 3 (quick/temporary movement of turn signal lever
- turning on the 'Average Speed Indicator' within the Instrument Cluster (shows average speed between trip resets).

Now if someone could find a code that always displays the gear indicator while in auto 'drive' or auto 'sport' modes that would be great! The F-150 always shows the gear when in auto mode, so why doesn't the Mustang? :yawn:
That's weird but again, I don't know if you have the digital cluster but mine shows what gear I'm in with the auto and without going into sport mode.

MustangVelocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
That's weird but again, I don't know if you have the digital cluster but mine shows what gear I'm in with the auto and without going into sport mode.
I should specify that the lack of a gear indicator when in the full auto modes seems to only affect the analog gauges with the small digital display.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
My DRL's now behave like the 2015-2017's (inner fin lights, orange corner lights, and lower fog lights.
Only the fog lights and fin lights are drls on the 15 to 17. The Orange parking lights only come on with the headlights or parking light selector setting.
Sponsored