Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT 6 Speed - Grinding while Shifting

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I just wanted to add that my 18 is experiencing the same issue - grinding when shifting at RPMs at or above 5,000 as well as a slight problem idling upon startup every once in a while.

I am right at 3,000 miles and don't find the problem getting better by wearing in.

I will have the dealer look at it at the first oil change and update.
Sponsored

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
I just wanted to add that my 18 is experiencing the same issue - grinding when shifting at RPMs at or above 5,000 as well as a slight problem idling upon startup every once in a while.

I am right at 3,000 miles and don't find the problem getting better by wearing in.

I will have the dealer look at it at the first oil change and update.
Nice appreciate it. That puts us at 5 here that I know who are having this issue with their 2018.

Last edited:

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
same here. Been 10 years since I drove a manual before getting my 18 gt. At first I though I was not shifting correctly.

I will talk to the dealer at my fist oil change. I am at arround 3000 miles.

2018 GT S Fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fastback 6 Speed
This is happening to my 18GT. I have 13K miles so I don't think its something that's going to go away. Usually happens at higher RPM's - seems like 3rd gear is the worst when it comes to the sound. I also have a nice gear hum in 5th and 6th gears at 60MPH.

I am going to have to take it to the dealer. I bought her with 6500 miles on it. I hope they don't pull the you didn't buy this new card

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Best of luck to you guys. Ford bought my car back in part because of this issue. The first time I took it in the dealer wanted to replace the clutch and flywheel but the parts were on back order for a month and a half. During the wait, engineering got involved and said the grinding is normal, so the dealer said they won't be replacing anything and gave the car back to me. I took it to another dealer who ordered a new flywheel and clutch and again, a one month back order. At that point, I just proceeded with the buy back. I think the grinding is due to the twin disk clutch and the various tolerances within the shitty drive train of the GT. Some the cars do it, some do it worse than others, some don't do it at all. In my case the grinding was bad. For comparison, the GT350 also uses a twin disk clutch and I've never heard of anyone having a similar issue with those cars.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I think the grinding is due to the twin disk clutch and the various tolerances within the shitty drive train of the GT. Some the cars do it, some do it worse than others, some don't do it at all. In my case the grinding was bad. For comparison, the GT350 also uses a twin disk clutch and I've never heard of anyone having a similar issue with those cars.
So maybe it's not the twin disc after all & just the tranny itself or the hydraulic system
Happy to hear Ford took care of you.
How many miles and what did they knock off your original purchase price?

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So maybe it's not the twin disc after all & just the tranny itself or the hydraulic system
Happy to hear Ford took care of you.
How many miles and what did they knock off your original purchase price?
I haven't come across anyone with this problem with the 11-17 model year cars, so I am pretty sure it's the twin disk clutch.

I turned the car over to Ford with 7200 miles but they only charged me $240 for 1000 miles since that's when I first took the car in for this issue.

solarisminor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
First post here, but I am having this issue in my 18 GT PP1. Been driving manual transmission since the 1980's.... It is most noticeable in my car under WOT or very heavy acceleration from 2nd to 3rd, like getting onto a freeway, etc. I am the original owner. Bought my car Memorial Day 2018, so I have had it 13-ish months, and it has 16,000 miles on it.

Does anyone know if the GT350 transmission, which is supposed to be far superior, is a direct bolt on to the 5.0 Coyote?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
First post here, but I am having this issue in my 18 GT PP1. Been driving manual transmission since the 1980's.... It is most noticeable in my car under WOT or very heavy acceleration from 2nd to 3rd, like getting onto a freeway, etc. I am the original owner. Bought my car Memorial Day 2018, so I have had it 13-ish months, and it has 16,000 miles on it.

Does anyone know if the GT350 transmission, which is supposed to be far superior, is a direct bolt on to the 5.0 Coyote?
I don't believe that it is. There is a thread I read on here where someone embarked on quite a journey to make the conversion.

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
I have a RHD 2018 in UK.has 6000 miles on now and i have not taken it to redline much.when i have i get this same sound ...