2018 Mustang GT 6 Speed - Grinding while Shifting

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Looks like you damn near went back into 1st, the car didn't let you, and it diverted you to 3rd.

Honestly, it looks like you can't shift.

Looks like you're trying to muscle the shifter, and that's going to damage stuff.
Salesperson and mechanics all drove the car and according to your logic can't shift either because they all duplicated the sound. I'm holding the phone with my left hand and the shifter with my right. So when I shift, I lose some coordination with my left arm which causes the video to jerk.

I've driven stick shift cars for the last 12 years of my life so please don't tell me I dont know how to shift. The car is in 3rd trust me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the video: This is a pull from second gear. I was a bit fast with the clutch here to make the sound more evident but you can still hear it regardless of how you shift.

That is definitely not ok or normal.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
That almost sounds like the typical "notchy" shifting we have been dealing with since the '15 came out.
As mentioned, the BG fluid change gets rid of a majority of this issue. It's not that your fluid is bad, the BG is just much better for these cars.
Also, in warmer weather it goes away. And as mileage increases it gets better.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That almost sounds like the typical "notchy" shifting we have been dealing with since the '15 came out.
As mentioned, the BG fluid change gets rid of a majority of this issue. It's not that your fluid is bad, the BG is just much better for these cars.
Also, in warmer weather it goes away. And as mileage increases it gets better.
Haven't driven a 15-17 Mustang so I can't speak for those cars but isn't notchiness more of a feeling than a sound?

I've driven cars with touchy clutches and I've never heard a sound like this before. It's going to be near 60 for high today and the sound doesn't go away when the car is warmed up. I took that video 30 minutes into my commute.

I'll test drive another GT sometime this week and we can finally conclude if the issue is just me or not. :D

Last edited:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
No, it makes a sound. After driving for 30 min, I would be concerned too. But honestly, I cannot remember how it performed before I did the BG fluid change.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
my car shifts smooth on the factory gear oil. If a shift is resulting in a clunk and its not a rushed shift, then the synchro is not doing what it is supposed to be doing and probably causing wear. Maybe the clutch needs adjusting.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, apologies, I listened on a phone, a laptop and with headphones. All I hear is throttle before full clutch release. I will be of no help to your issue. Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.
Well I do appreciate the help.

cthomas5714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
I am curious what you can get them to do for you on this subject. I also have a 2018 6mt and im also experiencing this issue. At first, I thought that I just didn't remember how to shift properly being that my last car was an auto even though I grew up on manual transmissions. I haven't taken it in to the dealership just yet because I somewhat figured out how to avoid and hadn't heard anyone else complain about it but if they can help you out and its not a "normal" noise on all of these new MT82s than ill follow suit and take it in. Let me know what happens.

PS I didn't have the chance to watch your videos but the way you described it is exactly what happens to my car. It has a grinding noise ONLY when you release the clutch in higher RPMs. I noticed that is happens to me the most when im giving it medium throttle. I can cruise around town or I can go WOT and shift at redline with no complaints. It might be happening at redline but the engine and regular gear noise could just cover it up or I could just be releasing the clutch to fast enough not to notice it.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just throwing something out here but maybe check to see if any of the shifter boots are installed wrong or loose and maybe getting pinched when shifting hard?

Sponsored
OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am curious what you can get them to do for you on this subject. I also have a 2018 6mt and im also experiencing this issue. At first, I thought that I just didn't remember how to shift properly being that my last car was an auto even though I grew up on manual transmissions. I haven't taken it in to the dealership just yet because I somewhat figured out how to avoid and hadn't heard anyone else complain about it but if they can help you out and its not a "normal" noise on all of these new MT82s than ill follow suit and take it in. Let me know what happens.

PS I didn't have the chance to watch your videos but the way you described it is exactly what happens to my car. It has a grinding noise ONLY when you release the clutch in higher RPMs. I noticed that is happens to me the most when im giving it medium throttle. I can cruise around town or I can go WOT and shift at redline with no complaints. It might be happening at redline but the engine and regular gear noise could just cover it up or I could just be releasing the clutch to fast enough not to notice it.
So I got a response from the stealership. Apparently it took them a week to contact the Ford Engineers and guess what... They say the sound is normal.
First, the guy basically told me I didn't know how to shift. I was taken back but surprisingly I decided to let him finish before interrupting. Then he told me that the syncros needed about 1000 miles to break in. The noise would eventually go away.

If the noise goes away after a break in, the problem definitely wouldn't be me right? I decided to go to different stealership to test drive Mustang GT. Well guess what, I was able to reproduce the sound again.

At this point I was convinced that the problem truly was me. But I test drove a second one (GT with PP) and BAM! this one was dead silent. No grind, no clunk, nothing. So now I know that I am not alone. Other people have this same issue too.

I now have my GT back in my possession and I will keep a watch out if the noise slowly starts to go away. When it hits 1000 miles and the noise still exists, I'll take it to my own mechanic to inspect.

cthomas5714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
Interesting, for me it was always just a noise. There never was any clunk or resistance or anything negative really and come to think of it, the noise has happened much less lately (2k) miles now but I just thought I was getting better at shifting the car or at least more in tune with this specific transmission. Who knows what it’ll be 20k miles down the road but for now, I just got used to ignoring it when it does happen if I know I’m doing everything right. If it really starts to act up before 60k miles? Welp looks like we get a new transmission haha.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Give it more than a 1000 miles. I remember mine "broke in" after several thousand. Didn't have the described noise, just shifted better. Noise when releasing clutch might be the new dual disc clutch too.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, for me it was always just a noise. There never was any clunk or resistance or anything negative really and come to think of it, the noise has happened much less lately (2k) miles now but I just thought I was getting better at shifting the car or at least more in tune with this specific transmission. Who knows what it’ll be 20k miles down the road but for now, I just got used to ignoring it when it does happen if I know I’m doing everything right. If it really starts to act up before 60k miles? Welp looks like we get a new transmission haha.
Sorry, I probably misspoke. All I heard was a noise but it sounded like some sort of metal to metal contact.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My 2 cents.
Been using manual transmissions for many, many years. 40's era vehicles, big trucks, tractors, no syncro transmissions, etc.
Got my 16 GT and going to third, a slight gear grind. As if I didn't have the clutch all the way in or bad technique. Well, I took it easy and ensured I had the clutch FULLY to the floor prior to shifting to third and once and a while it would happen again.
To make a long story longer, I lived with it for a while and sure enough, after about 1000 miles, no more issues. Everything works well and I guess normal wear fixed the problem. No BG or RP, still the original oil.
Me thinks, your problem will go away and it is just one of those "wear in" issues.
Good Luck!
Sponsored