N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor yelled 'noise pollution' at me once.. long story short, she's now moving. :lol:
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Just pointing out the available aftermarket options for 2015-2017 Mustang owners. I know everybody wants to talk about the shiny new 2018 Mustang,
But its always good to inform would be buyers of 2015-2017 Mustangs (Yeah
They are still being sold) about their options. ;)
:cool:
You are the only person here, who cares & rambles on constantly about the differences in model years.

The topic isn't a comparison video. It is an informative one. The GT350 already has this.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
:cool:
You are the only person here, who cares & rambles on constantly about the differences in model years.

The topic isn't a comparison video. It is an informative one. The GT350 already has this.
Exactly. This thread is all and only about the 2018 active exhaust.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Uhmmm, sub forum anyone?
Keep those pesky guys driving the old Mustangs away?:paddle::lol:

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
So, assuming that active exhaust IS a standalone option on the Premium GT, will one have to choose that option in order to be able to upgrade to Borla's upcoming active exhaust system?
I would assume so. Even if all Premium GTs are wired for it and maybe Borla could use a "plug" or something that the factory active exhaust uses, it still wouldn't be "unlocked" probably within the Ford software for cars without the option unless some hacking/modifying of the software is done. I think the safe thing is make sure the active exhaust is optioned so that the wiring is all good to go if you decide to swap it out.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Tip

My neighbor yelled 'noise pollution' at me once.. long story short, she's now moving. :lol:
Thanks for the tip been trying to get rid of my neighbor for years. :D :lol:

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Active Exhaust ....

In my day was Long Tube Headers straight back to cherry bomb glass packs on my 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 390. That exhaust was always active. :lol:
People could hear me coming for blocks. :lol:

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We'll have valved aftermarket systems available that offer multiple sounds within the same exhaust and we'll also have non-valved systems available. Everything we offer will sound noticeably different from stock in all modes.

Watch out for our newest, patented technology to be offered on the 2018 Mustangs as well. It's the perfect platform to debut this technology.

Some like valves, others despise them. Regardless of which side you're on we'll have something that meets your needs.
Will you be offering any such exhausts (variable tone/volume) for the 15-17 models?

Obviously the 15-17 systems (if there is to be any) wouldn't be integrated systems like those that you will be offering on the 18's and would need some sort of remote included to adjust, but I was just curious if you had an plans for such a product.

Thanks.

Sponsored

DrProctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Some of ya'll act like quiet exhaust is going to be on all the time. It will only be on for those "courtesy" moments that take up 1% of the time that your driving. The other 99% of the time, it'll be as loud as you want it to be. It's an OPTION for those people who respect other people.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Will you be offering any such exhausts (variable tone/volume) for the 15-17 models?

Obviously the 15-17 systems (if there is to be any) wouldn't be integrated systems like those that you will be offering on the 18's and would need some sort of remote included to adjust, but I was just curious if you had an plans for such a product.

Thanks.
We certainly can do this but the cost would be significant and I'm not sure how much demand there is, especially at the price point.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how many other requests we've had for something like this. Maybe we'll do it.

With that said, between our own branded systems and the stuff we design/build for Ford Racing and Shelby we've sold so many systems for the 2015-2017's and made so many people happy, I'm not sure that a valved system will be much of an improvement. We offer at least 6 different sound options as it is.

For the record, even with our most aggressive setup for the 2015-2017 you can still drive through your neighborhood without disturbing your neighbors. Cold start is the only issue.

I need to preface this statement by saying we've embraced the valve thing fully, we designed our own valves and we'll offer a valved solution for any car we build systems for that come with valves from the factory. I totally understand why you guys like the idea and I'm excited to show you what we're going to do with valves on the 2018 models. But with that said, more often than not, bi-modal exhaust systems are an easy way out for the muffler designer. Instead of designing a proper muffler strategy with a single path, that's loud when it should be and mellow when it should be, they create 2 separate paths requiring a valve which adds a lot of cost for no reason. As an enthusiasts I find them to be artificial, an obstacle between me and the motor. Again, you can design a single path system that's super aggressive but can still be driven without upsetting anyone.

Most importantly, please remember that it's really not the valve that adds the most cost, though valves are pricey. What adds the most cost is the dual paths. In order to go from loud to quiet properly, with a significant delta between the two and without restriction, you need to create 2 separate exhaust systems within one. The mufflers may look similar from the outside, and it may seem like the only difference is a valve, but inside the muffler is a much different story.

For the record, I'm aware of the fact that some designers put the valve in the crossover pipe. We've tested all those systems and appreciate them but after 40 years of building a base of Mustang customers we're certain the expectations of our customers are different. Our customers expect 2 distinct paths.

Sorry for rambling on like this.....

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like this system will span from 72db to 80db...im not a sound tech...but that seems like a small variance.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like this system will span from 72db to 80db...im not a sound tech...but that seems like a small variance.
Should give you an idea, haven't convinced myself yet though :) Sound is a strange thing.

80:
2 times as loud as 70 dB. Possible damage in 8 hour exposure.

Garbage disposal, dishwasher, average factory, freight train (at 15 meters). Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB).

70:
Arbitrary base of comparison. Upper 70s are annoyingly loud to some people.

Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB).

LowcountryMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I had not seen the first part of this video yet. Gives a good idea of the sound difference between normal and quiet.

[ame]
Sponsored