Sponsored

2018 Mustand GT Manual Transmission in Drag Mode

pcrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 Mustang GT with the 6 speed manual. I went to the drag strip to run for the very first time (me and the car) and I kept having issues with shifting. I have never experienced issues during normal driving, even when I get on it pretty hard. I set the car for Drag Strip mode and after three passes I kept missing shifts. I am not entirely certain it wasn't just me and first timer nerves, but on the fourth run I switched it to normal mode and turned the traction control off, and went down the track with no problem. I haven't found a lot of information on what the drag mode does for the manual transmissions, except turn launch control on, and if you have mag ride it makes some suspension adjustments.
I know the drag mode does good things for the 10 speed automatic, but does it do anything else to the driving characteristics that could have contributed to my issue, or should I just chalk it up to rookie jitters and mistakes?
Sponsored

Last edited:

2slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Interested on insight to this, as I’ve wondered what does drag mode do for manual trans 2018...

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Pretty sure there are no changes in the M6 by switching to drag mode. Throttle response and Magneride adjustments are the only thing effected. Personally, I would suggest disabling TC and VSC. I also think launch control is a waste of time.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Only major difference is your traction control and throttle response. How exactly were you "missing" shifts? It's only a couple of shifts, so unless you were having trouble going 2-3, you shouldn't be missing anything.

I'm going to say this was just first-time nerves and not really anything to do with your mode setting. It's more likely that in your 4th run you were getting more comfortable with it and were able to row without a problem. Though having less throttle response, which is a noticeable difference from normal to drag and back without sport in-between, may have given you just a tad more time between shifts (I may be off here).

Edit:
I went to the drag strip to run for the very first time (me and the car)
Glad you specified that your car didn't go without you :-)

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
There is maximum throttle response in drag mode, not less throttle response.

Edit: I reread your post. I think you are saying he had less throttle response in normal mode. My bad.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is maximum throttle response in drag mode, not less throttle response.

Edit: I reread your post. I think you are saying he had less throttle response in normal mode. My bad.
Yeah, garbled it a bit, but I meant that he had less throttle response on his 4th run in normal mode vs. the first 3 in drag mode. I don't think that's nearly as significant as just it being the 4th run and getting more comfortable with it. But it may have made a small difference.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
POSSIBLE, no lift shift & you "fighting" over throttle:

Drag mode enables no lift shifting too right? Where you can just keep the gas pedal mashed while shifting. ie: you're not supposed to try adjusting throttle, let the car's ECU throttle match. If you're doing it, then the car and you are both possibly trying to put throttle control inputs at the same time and actually messing up the throttle response.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
No worries. Drag mode changes the rear differential gearing to 4:97:1 and forces you to skipshift 2/4/6 due to the more aggressive ratios, you can 1-2 shift because it's programmed to let you go into second...in case you forget.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
POSSIBLE, no lift shift & you "fighting" over throttle:

Drag mode enables no lift shifting too right? Where you can just keep the gas pedal mashed while shifting. ie: you're not supposed to try adjusting throttle, let the car's ECU throttle match. If you're doing it, then the car and you are both possibly trying to put throttle control inputs at the same time and actually messing up the throttle response.
Pretty sure drive mode has nothing to do with no-lift shift, but the couple times I've tried it, my brain just won't let me do it (in a test drive, not my own car). :giggle:

Sponsored
OP
OP

pcrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Only major difference is your traction control and throttle response. How exactly were you "missing" shifts? It's only a couple of shifts, so unless you were having trouble going 2-3, you shouldn't be missing anything.

I'm going to say this was just first-time nerves and not really anything to do with your mode setting. It's more likely that in your 4th run you were getting more comfortable with it and were able to row without a problem. Though having less throttle response, which is a noticeable difference from normal to drag and back without sport in-between, may have given you just a tad more time between shifts (I may be off here).

Edit:

Glad you specified that your car didn't go without you :-)
Reply:

I believe part of the issue might have been that I was going into 4th instead of 2nd, so when I got to the staging lanes I played around while sitting there to see what could have happened. If I don't pull towards me and back it is easy to do. It's amazing what is normally natural to do becomes a problem when you are anxious and trying to remember all the things you need to do.
I think I was also rushing the shifts and my left foot and my right hand weren't quite in sync.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reply:

I believe part of the issue might have been that I was going into 4th instead of 2nd, so when I got to the staging lanes I played around while sitting there to see what could have happened. If I don't pull towards me and back it is easy to do. It's amazing what is normally natural to do becomes a problem when you are anxious and trying to remember all the things you need to do.
I think I was also rushing the shifts and my left foot and my right hand weren't quite in sync.
Heh, if you were hitting 4th instead of second, you'd know it. With the light stock shifter, you really need to make sure you're pulling/pushing the 1-2 and 5-6 shifts and not trying to speed slide it. One of the early things I did while driving my '18 was try a fast 5-6 only to hit 4th at like 70 and locked the rear up until the car stabilized. Scared the shit out of me because I didn't know what I did until I looked down at the shifter.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Heh, if you were hitting 4th instead of second, you'd know it. With the light stock shifter, you really need to make sure you're pulling/pushing the 1-2 and 5-6 shifts and not trying to speed slide it. One of the early things I did while driving my '18 was try a fast 5-6 only to hit 4th at like 70 and locked the rear up until the car stabilized. Scared the shit out of me because I didn't know what I did until I looked down at the shifter.
It definitely has a light spring. I'm new to the MT82, and in normal driving on down shifts, I have ended up in 5th, instead of 3rd on a couple of occasions. Just have to get used to it.

00SlowGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS/GT. 2000 Mustang GT
Yeah this is also a topic I have questions on because I don't notice much difference in the modes. As for the shifting get a good shifter it is worth it but the trans does not like to be man handled be gentle and always does great no miss.
Sponsored