Sponsored

2018 Job 1 is Here. Where are ANY “hands on” reviews?

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
The 2018 MY Mustang has been one of the strangest and most frustrating product launches - by a business renown for damn near inventing the frustrating product launch.

From the completely-unrevised GT350s (except for dropping two of the best colors in favor of crappy ones) which didn’t even bother to adopt the commodity trims’ epic 10R80 or digital dash, to the mysterious GT Performance Package 2 which largely remains undefined (except being unavailable to automatics or 400As) despite production already being underway, I can’t recall a product that’s offered so little complete information at a point when Ford actually is building them.

I’ve no qualms about the steep price hike if the car delivers what’s been promised. I’m perfectly willing to pay $50K for a 2018 GT. About the only thing that REALLY could chap my ass would be buying a $50K GT and finding out from Ford a week later that I should’ve bought a $52K one that wasn’t available to order. I’m especially pissed about Ford excluding PP2 from automatics after ZL1 already has proven how epic the new 10R80 can be - but that’s a different rant.

What’s oddest of all, however, is that despite all the marketing and actual cars being built, what doesn’t seem to exist ANYWHERE is an actual behind-the-wheel first-hand review, something I can’t recall being absent from ANY new or highly-revised model. Even more flying blind by the customers Ford is asking more from than ever.

Has anybody seen an actual review anywhere? Are these issues causing anyone to hold back from pulling the trigger? My car already is ordered - I’m afraid it may be the first retail order I leave on the dealer lot.
Sponsored

ccredbaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium w/PP
There are no "hands on" reviews out there. The longer Ford keeps their testing secret, the more suspicious you should get. I'm guessing they can't get the '18 MY GT to equal performance of their direct competition, the camaro SS 1LE. There is no way I'd order a vehicle without first seeing how it stacks up, performance wise. Seems like most everyone is satisfied with just parking lot revs and interior shots of the new dash, etc.. Sad!

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I think companies are shying away from using pre-production cars for press launches more and more in the past few years. So I'm sure dozens of Job 1 cars are press cars, once those clear the factory there should be a drive program set up shortly thereafter.

Strangely, for the 2015 launch in LA, the press drives were held in the middle of September 2014. So their timeline is way behind even the 2015s.

If you're waiting for stuff like track times from Motor Trend, with their new on-demand service they post there first and delay their youtube video until about a month later. I'd be surprised if they post anything before the end of the year.

I will be reviewing a demo unit coming in to the dealership I work with and have someone that ordered a GTPP + Magneride 10-speed car that I'll be reviewing as soon as they get it. I don't do numerical testing though, just a backroads drive, seat-of-my-pants impressions. Not sure if something like that would be of value to you or not but at least it will be something.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I think companies are shying away from using pre-production cars for press launches more and more in the past few years. So I'm sure dozens of Job 1 cars are press cars, once those clear the factory there should be a drive program set up shortly thereafter.

Strangely, for the 2015 launch in LA, the press drives were held in the middle of September 2014. So their timeline is way behind even the 2015s.

If you're waiting for stuff like track times from Motor Trend, with their new on-demand service they post there first and delay their youtube video until about a month later. I'd be surprised if they post anything before the end of the year.

I will be reviewing a demo unit coming in to the dealership I work with and have someone that ordered a GTPP + Magneride 10-speed car that I'll be reviewing as soon as they get it. I don't do numerical testing though, just a backroads drive, seat-of-my-pants impressions. Not sure if something like that would be of value to you or not but at least it will be something.

Sometimes your type of review is the best, so looking forward to it. Particular the 10-speed, magneride car. :)

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't care about track numbers as long as on the first drive I'm smiling like an idiot when I get out then I'm good. And I start laughing when I press the gas by how fast it accelerates then I'm good. I really don't plan on tracking it. It'll be my fun car/ Daily driver. That I can easily accelerate past old people that like to go 10 miles under the speed limit or mopeds that keep a long line of cars behind them.:frusty:

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I honestly don't care about track numbers as long as on the first drive I'm smiling like an idiot when I get out then I'm good. And I start laughing when I press the gas by how fast it accelerates then I'm good. I really don't plan on tracking it. It'll be my fun car/ Daily driver. That I can easily accelerate past old people that like to go 10 miles under the speed limit or mopeds that keep a long line of cars behind them.:frusty:
I'm trying to be a jerk, but I'm honestly curious: why go to an 18 over a 17 then? A 17 ticks all those boxes already at a SIGNIFICANT discount. Most of the changes to the '18 were done to improve the numbers (10 speed, magniride, New engine, Michelin tires, etc).

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to be a jerk, but I'm honestly curious: why go to an 18 over a 17 then? A 17 ticks all those boxes already at a SIGNIFICANT discount. Most of the changes to the '18 were done to improve the numbers (10 speed, magniride, New engine, Michelin tires, etc).
I just liked how the '18 looks. And the digital dash as well as all the bells and whistles. To be honest it didn't feel right to jump into a '17. I actually was about to get into a tri yellow CS convertible but I kept going back to the '18s. So I decided to stick with my gut and get what I want. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I just liked how the '18 looks. And the digital dash as well as all the bells and whistles. To be honest it didn't feel right to jump into a '17. I actually was about to get into a tri yellow CS convertible but I kept going back to the '18s. So I decided to stick with my gut and get what I want. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.
Which in the end is what matters. Get the car that you really want in the long run. At first I got a 2013 Mazda3 hatchback which I kinda liked but just wanted to drive something. It did what it was supposed to do. I then got into a 2013 Nissan 370z. It was great at first but I got an automatic which had the problem of having torque delay once you push on the gas pedal. I didn't want a car that I had to get tuned to get any fun out of it. Then bought a 2016 Honda Civic due to real life issues which was a mistake for me coming from a 370z. I said to myself that the next car I get should be the car I love...

Went between the Camaro or the Mustang. In the end I got the car that I love driving for no reason and the car that I want to keep for a long long time.

TDLR: Get the car that you love to drive not because of what anyone else is gonna say.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
The 2018 MY Mustang has been one of the strangest and most frustrating product launches - by a business renown for damn near inventing the frustrating product launch.

From the completely-unrevised GT350s (except for dropping two of the best colors in favor of crappy ones) which didn’t even bother to adopt the commodity trims’ epic 10R80 or digital dash, to the mysterious GT Performance Package 2 which largely remains undefined (except being unavailable to automatics or 400As) despite production already being underway, I can’t recall a product that’s offered so little complete information at a point when Ford actually is building them.

I’ve no qualms about the steep price hike if the car delivers what’s been promised. I’m perfectly willing to pay $50K for a 2018 GT. About the only thing that REALLY could chap my ass would be buying a $50K GT and finding out from Ford a week later that I should’ve bought a $52K one that wasn’t available to order. I’m especially pissed about Ford excluding PP2 from automatics after ZL1 already has proven how epic the new 10R80 can be - but that’s a different rant.

What’s oddest of all, however, is that despite all the marketing and actual cars being built, what doesn’t seem to exist ANYWHERE is an actual behind-the-wheel first-hand review, something I can’t recall being absent from ANY new or highly-revised model. Even more flying blind by the customers Ford is asking more from than ever.

Has anybody seen an actual review anywhere? Are these issues causing anyone to hold back from pulling the trigger? My car already is ordered - I’m afraid it may be the first retail order I leave on the dealer lot.
I'm ready to order, but am not going to until I know more about the PP2. Plus, the more Ford screws around, the more Mustangs will sit on lots and therefore will = more rebates due to poor sales numbers.

I also don't think magazines and etc. are chomping at the bit to test a new mustang which isn't really new; it's just a refresh with a few new wizbangs and a bit more HP.

Unless Ford includes a bunch more than I think they will into the PP2, the 1LE will still be a way better buy. For less than 6 grand, you get Recaros, Alcantara/leather, magnetic suspension, variable exhaust, black wrapped hood, huge wheels with supercar tires, lowered ride height, etc. So far, it looks like PP2 will most likely have some 19s, decent tires, maybe magneride, and active exhaust. Of course, I'm just speculating.

One thing about the Camaro though. The Chevy plastic interior still sucks no matter what you do. Mustang is still more refined. But who really cares if you're really concerned about performance over plush?

I still want a Mustang, but if PP2 is lame, I'll just get a base GT with 301A and black accent package then throw in my own springs, wheels, and tires. Save a ton of cash.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which in the end is what matters. Get the car that you really want in the long run. At first I got a 2013 Mazda3 hatchback which I kinda liked but just wanted to drive something. It did what it was supposed to do. I then got into a 2013 Nissan 370z. It was great at first but I got an automatic which had the problem of having torque delay once you push on the gas pedal. I didn't want a car that I had to get tuned to get any fun out of it. Then bought a 2016 Honda Civic due to real life issues which was a mistake for me coming from a 370z. I said to myself that the next car I get should be the car I love...

Went between the Camaro or the Mustang. In the end I got the car that I love driving for no reason and the car that I want to keep for a long long time.

TDLR: Get the car that you love to drive not because of what anyone else is gonna say.
I was actually looking at ordering a ZL1 because my Uncle worked in the GM plant for 20+ years and he could have gotten me a good discount. But I couldn't do it. I kept going back to the mustang. To be honest I think the Mustang is a better car. My '13 has never left me stranded. Or had anything serious wrong with it *knock on wood*

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I was actually looking at ordering a ZL1 because my Uncle worked in the GM plant for 20+ years and he could have gotten me a good discount. But I couldn't do it. I kept going back to the mustang. To be honest I think the Mustang is a better car. My '13 has never left me stranded. Or had anything serious wrong with it *knock on wood*
Numbers for numbers everyone will say it is a better car but for me I won't be tracking the car and is my daily driver. For me I didn't really like the look of the 2018 vs the 15-17 and once I got into the mustang it's love at first start up. The camaro is a great car but I've always wanted a mustang.

Still I'm hoping that Ford will do wonders for the refresh and the price hike is justified.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Matt, we all watch your videos for your seat of your pants impressions. Just wondering do you read the YouTube comments? There's some funny ones.
Is that Matt from youtube? Lol. I watch his reviews all the time. Those expressions are the ones I always watch out for. Depending on his expression when he pushes on the throttle is how much he likes the car. Haha.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
Matt = best real-guy car reviews out there! Looking forward to you getting your hands on a 2018 GT.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
For less than 6 grand, you get Recaros, Alcantara/leather, magnetic suspension, variable exhaust, black wrapped hood, huge wheels with supercar tires, lowered ride height, etc. So far, it looks like PP2 will most likely have some 19s, decent tires, maybe magneride, and active exhaust. Of course, I'm just speculating.

One thing about the Camaro though. The Chevy plastic interior still sucks no matter what you do. Mustang is still more refined. But who really cares if you're really concerned about performance over plush?

I still want a Mustang, but if PP2 is lame, I'll just get a base GT with 301A and black accent package then throw in my own springs, wheels, and tires. Save a ton of cash.
I kind of feel the same way, but the interior is a mixed bag. Mustang has a little better plastic, but it's still plastic. The 1LE faux suede is a lot nicer than Ford's cloth (and probably not much more expensive). The Ford cloth really bums me out. I live in the desert and don't really want leather (well, leather/vinyl mix) but Ford's cloth is lagging well behind what other manufacturers are using. From the pics it looks like the cloth is different in the 18s, we'll see when someone gets one.

Overall the 1LE package is pretty hard to beat. I too am hoping for a $6500 PP2 package that is marketed as a 1LE competitor, but this seems hard to imagine since a PP+301A+Magnaride is already more than that without better tires, without active exhaust, without cloth recarros, etc. Still hoping, but suspect I will be disappointed.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I'm more interested in the magneride for daily driving.

I want an in depth analysis of how the ride is full soft for cruising and comfort and full on handling mode.
Best of both worlds if it is done correctly.
Sponsored