OP
OP
Turbotyla

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
I could check but I don’t think so. This is going on a sleeved shortblock with aftermarket pistons.
6800B948-E16F-4AB0-A3D7-CF095BE4C51B.jpeg
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
If you could swap in the 15-17 cams into the 18 heads and use the 15-17 valve cover/cam sensors it may be possible. I admit I have no idea if the 15-17 stuff will even fit or line up right in the 18+ head though. DI port would need filled as you mentioned. Honestly it wouldn't shock me if the 15-17 cams physically fit. From the looks of the valve covers, they would likely be interchangeable. You can tell that the DI was added to the Coyote from the way it is laid out, so I would not be surprised if a lot of the cylinder head casting is very similar to the Gen 1/2 and 350.

OP
OP
Turbotyla

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
From what I’ve learned the base circle is totally different and the cams won’t swap.

Also the cam sensor location kinda kills that idea also. It was my first idea lol.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
From what I’ve learned the base circle is totally different and the cams won’t swap.

Also the cam sensor location kinda kills that idea also. It was my first idea lol.
That kind kills the idea of being anything close to cost effective, even with the Gen 2 drivers side back order at Ford. I would try and scrounge a used set, use the funds to get them ported/polished and refurbished. A lot less headache, similar if not better results and likely similar cost. Unless your going full drag car, you will likely regret losing VCT down the road. With a turbo it would make a noticeable difference in spool and driveability.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
As the title states, I’m looking at putting 2018 heads on my sleeved gen 2 shortblock.

Yes, I understand what I’m getting into. But I am still curious so I wanted to open the discussion.

So from what I’ve figured out the coolant and oil ports line up and will work. There are actually people running gen3 shortblocks with gen1/2 heads. Then figure out blocking off the direct injection ports. Either leave the injectors in or have a plug tig welded into place.

The only thing I don’t think will work is on the gen3 engines the cam shaft sensors were moved from the back of the head into the valve covers. And the exhaust phaser sensor was relocated onto a tone ring on the camshaft as well. Not in the original place, So that leaves a couple options.

1. Bolt 2018 heads onto my block and time it plug all the sensors in and hope and pray the sensors and tone ring differences don’t mean anything at the ecu. Very unlikely.

2 . Run the 2018 cams locked out. It’s a boosted setup. This would require me making some block off and gutting the hpfp.
But this is the option with the best odds of working.

3. Buy the 2018 harness and ecu and just try to run the direct injection. Also unlikely it will work.

Its just a discussion because I’m looking into head options for my setup and ford has no eta on gen 2 driver side heads. This is all just theory but I’d like to see if anyone has any information.
DFA0F527-D4EB-41F7-9A49-74C051D78EF4.jpeg
E4BDA5EC-7F0E-4A46-91B0-54F579A0088A.jpeg
285F9D5F-0BEF-4781-BF3B-8F69136E0C6D.jpeg

Update ?
I am curious what the OP ended up doing .

I also have a sleeved Gen 2 block and wonder if it would work as a “spare” for my 2018 with a Gen 5 whipple .

I like keeping spare engines , preferably long blocks, if I can when boosting this cars (saves downtime ) lol.

I was told the main issue with using the Gen 2 block with Gen 3 heads /DI injection is the 18 pistons have a special dimple to help atomize the DI fuel .

I do have brand new gen2 heads(with PAC springs /retainers ) I bought a year ago ,and could use them to assemble a long block(might sell for the right price is OP is interested )

Not sure I want to use a Gen 2 long block as a spare for an 18 or even it it would work .

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
DI pump is on the exhaust side right?

Reason i ask is id like to see if L&M intake cams would work on a 2018.
Sponsored