2018 heads on my gen 2

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by Turbotyla, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Nuked

Nuked Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    That kind kills the idea of being anything close to cost effective, even with the Gen 2 drivers side back order at Ford. I would try and scrounge a used set, use the funds to get them ported/polished and refurbished. A lot less headache, similar if not better results and likely similar cost. Unless your going full drag car, you will likely regret losing VCT down the road. With a turbo it would make a noticeable difference in spool and driveability.

2. olaosunt

olaosunt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0

Update ?
    I am curious what the OP ended up doing .

I also have a sleeved Gen 2 block and wonder if it would work as a “spare” for my 2018 with a Gen 5 whipple .

I like keeping spare engines , preferably long blocks, if I can when boosting this cars (saves downtime ) lol.

I was told the main issue with using the Gen 2 block with Gen 3 heads /DI injection is the 18 pistons have a special dimple to help atomize the DI fuel .

I do have brand new gen2 heads(with PAC springs /retainers ) I bought a year ago ,and could use them to assemble a long block(might sell for the right price is OP is interested )

Not sure I want to use a Gen 2 long block as a spare for an 18 or even it it would work .

3. Notagain

Notagain Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
    0   0   0
    DI pump is on the exhaust side right?

Reason i ask is id like to see if L&M intake cams would work on a 2018.