Sponsored

2018 GT Whipple and still waiting

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
It broke at the line (thankfully) as I was stalling to 2000 rpm .
I had a drive shaft loop but I could feel it rattling around beneath the console .
No damage as far as my installer could tell .
Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Are the DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshafts Junk?There are other members that have had a problems with this type driveshaft.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Are the DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshafts Junk?There are other members that have had a problems with this type driveshaft.
I have been back and forth with DSS .
They are now saying the 3.8 “ DS which I had (they now only sell the 3.25) hits the bottom of the car . Just a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one . I wish they had told me their was a problem with the 3.8 before It broke !

They said they would send me the 3.25 as soon as they get the old one back —-we shall see how long but I suspect they may be planning to see what parts they can “salvage” off the old one (their words not mine )
I had ordered the G -force alluminum shaft hoping it would be in stock but that’s 6 weeks out so I cancelled . DSS also said the chromoly would 4-6 weeks out when lethal called to see if I could get that although the guy at DSS said he could get one in 2 days .
I am going to see if they ship me back a 3.25 CF within that time frame but If not I will ask for the chromoly and try and get a refund for the price difference .
More pics before I shipped it out .
CA4542AE-392A-46B3-B883-7A98400B0DC2.jpeg
98D8EA04-A0FA-4543-AF99-74B99055B145.jpeg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also gave up hope on the “stage 3 “ whipple /E85 tune . When I asked they said it was still in “testing” and no ETA as off now . I decided to take advantage of the 15% off sale Lethal was running on the PBD tunes .
Ordered a race gas tune with the NGauge .
I am hoping it will have more timing than the 93 whipple tune and will see more gains with Ms109 .
Race gas is expensive so planning to switch to E85 eventually so I also ordered an additional E85 tune .
I want to see what I gain from the race gas tune first but know I will need ID1000’s and at least a BAP when I do E85 .
I already ordered the ID’s but not sure if they will be okay with an old VMP BAP I have “left over “ from a previous car or if I will need to get the JMS one .
I know it may be risky but I plan to run the car tommorrow at IRP(track should still be sticky post nationals and weather should be great ) in almost street form with the stock drive shaft and SVE wheels (stock front tires and 305/35 19 MT SS rears ).
Fingers crossed .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DSS are a stand up company .
As soon as they got the broken one the new one (3.25) was shipped the same day .

....it was on its way to be deliver e when they asked UPS for it to be returned .
Turns out they forgot to shorten it like they had to do the first time I sent it back for vibration .
Shortened one is shipping out Monday

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
For what it’s worth, I have about a thousand miles daily driving on my 2018 whipple kit. I just got their latest cal update and it’s excellent. Full throttle has always been good but it had a few quirks they’ve ironed out.

I’ve had no other issues with the kit, however, if they offer an enclosed air box I will be in line for it.

D98gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maddox
Vehicle(s)
I haven't used their flash tool or the fuel injectors since I went straight to E85 and have catless longtubes so if anyone has a friend with a tuner kit, just shoot me a message. I am glad they are doing such a good job at updating their tune though!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what it’s worth, I have about a thousand miles daily driving on my 2018 whipple kit. I just got their latest cal update and it’s excellent. Full throttle has always been good but it had a few quirks they’ve ironed out.

I’ve had no other issues with the kit, however, if they offer an enclosed air box I will be in line for it.
How do you get the updates tunes ?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was on my way to the track to see how the car would do with the stock drive shaft ....but decided to listen to that little voice in my head telling me not to do it .
Track is 100 miles away and if the car could snap the CF drive shaft(assuming it was not defective) imagine what it would do to the 2 piece stock one.

Turned around a 1/4 of the way but I decided to weigh the car at a truck stop .
4100lbs with full tank of gas . I weigh about 200 lbs so that’s 4300 lbs with driver
The max trap speed of 137 mph is not bad ...on 93.
ECA39DE9-C77E-48B6-8DF8-8BB42735111B.jpeg

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anybody who initially installed the whipple tune know how to get the “stock file “.

Apparently PBD requires this tune emailed to write the new tune .
I played around with the tomahawk flash tool(with the SD card in it ) and can’t how to flash the car back to stock so I can use the NGauge to save it .

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody who initially installed the whipple tune know how to get the “stock file “.

I played around with the tomahawk flash tool(with the SD card in it ) and can’t how to flash the car back to stock so I can use the NGauge to save it .
You have to request it from whipple

Whipple18GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

I’m in the same
Boat I haven’t emailed them yet

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I loaded the new tune I got from whipple yesterday.
I was told it had a new trans tune and the cam profiles had been tweaked to make more torque below 5000 rpm so improve the 60 .He also said there was delay in the PED to also help (whatever that is )
....I can’t express how disappointed I am .
I did the profile relearn as instructed and first thing I noticed is the car does not kick down /down shift

I was still excited to see how it did at the track and I was at the line when I first noticed it felt like it has a 2 step - with revs limited to 2000 rpm even with the throttle all the way down
It left like a dog and would not rev past 4000 rpm
It ran 17.6@76 mph !!!

I went back to to pits to see what was up and I noticed the same thing in any automatic mode - D/S or in any perfomance mode - S, track or drag.
If you put it in manual mode it will rev normally .

Unfortunately I must have deleted the old tune and it was no longer on the hand held .
The car is really not driveable in automatic as it lugs the engine .
I am going to ask they send me the original tune so at least I can drive the car but there is something obviously wrong with this one .

At this point I think I am done with them and will also request my stock file so I can’t get an aftermarket tune !
If they can’t do that I am just going to have my dealer flash the car back to stock so I can send it to PBD.

See screen shot of email explaInning changes
906EFB42-0965-436E-B28A-30FED3F9EDA6.png

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
PE is typically Power Enrichment. Something really strange is going on. I’m certain we were supposed to get the same cal but your description doesn’t sound anything like mine.
Sponsored