Sponsored

2018 GT Whipple and still waiting

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
No upgraded cooler. Everything that came with the stage 2 whipple kit is what we have. Of course, the other ancillary items I mentioned in the mod list, which aren't power adders, are on as well. I'll be taking it to the drag strip on August 4, 2018. I'll post those numbers up later. I'm expecting 10.2 - 10.5 int he 1/4, unless I need a driver mod :)
Did you ever make it to the strip ?
What did it run/trap ?
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Surely I can’t have the only “non shop “ car that has been to the track .
Looking forward to others so I can verify mine is running where it should be .
Won't be me. I've got no interest in drag racing at the track anymore. I just race 1/2 mile speed competitions nowadays.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I hear you . Sometimes I wonder why I still do it especially in the manual car but still have some fun in the autos without getting “overstressed “

I hear the 1/2 mile is hard on engines though .
Drag racing is probably harder on the drive train and engines can fail too but most of the recent engine failures (not counting me -aka coyote killer) I have seen in person occurred during 1/2 mile events .

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
It's a lot easier on the driveline and the cars are typically setup more for high speed stability so less gutted cars on bigs&littles. The higher entry fees mean the quality of cars competing are much higher. It's fun getting to line up next to Lambos, Ferrari's, Vipers, Porsches, etc instead of the usual 5.0/LSX crowd. It's a lot more laid back atmosphere with none of the drag racing ego BS. You should give it a shot sometime.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went out last night with another car(Hellion but that was just spin city ) as found a buddy to drive one to the track.
I decided to try 1/2 a tank of 260 GT(says 98 octane )which I bought for $7/gallon . Expensive but much cheaper than the other race gas I can get at the pump -VP street blaze (100).

It was cooler but DA was still 2200. It ran 10.9@134 after a cool down . I could tell even before I looked at the logs it was not max timing as it felt “slow” . Logs showed 3+ knock and only 13-14* ......wtf! Lol

I dumped a whole bottle Boostane in what was probably still a little over 5 gallons and got another pass about an hour later .
It felt strong this time and ran 10.7@137.
Best log ever as it saw -2 knock and held flat as opposed to my previous best where it started at -3 but would be -1 to 0 by the end
Spark was 18.75-19 .
I will post time slip but video was kind of crappy.
Boostane is supposed to increase octane by up to 11 when added to 5 gallons (93 becomes 104) but I doubt adding it to 98 was 109.

Next time I will just add the Boostane to 5 gallons of 93. I may keep 5 gallons of 98 on “standby “ if that knocks as I know 98 plus boostame works

Last edited:

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think the 60 is going to get any better and is stuck in the 1.8x’s
I have now tried varying launch rpm from 1800 to 2200 on different size tires . Last t night it was 275/50 17 M&H radials/race stars with 18 skinny bias play upfront.
Previous best was on SVE 19’s and 19 305/34 MT SS with stock fronts .
He SVE rear wheels are not much heavier than the race stars (20 vs 24)
The front skinnies were probably responsible for some of the trap gain but I doubt they picked up 3 mph .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
You might want to rent a dyno to test fuels and log it. Shouldn't take more than a half day. If you're going to run race gas, I'd skip playing around with the other fuels and go straight to VP Unleaded Extreme. I've gotten really good gains on it over Sunoco/Mobil/BP/Shell 93 octane in the past and it's not a huge difference in price if your buying by the pail.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but it’s more fun doing it at the strip .
I have already figured out the Sunoco GT 260 does not work even at $7/ gallon (unless I add boostane ) .
I think I may get the same results just adding boostane to 5 gallons of 93 .
The whipple tune will only add a max of 2* at max load so I doubt I am going to gain anything with VP100 ($10/gallons) or even MS109($70 per 5 gallons ) with this pulley .

I am going to step down to a 3.625 and see what it does with 93 plus boostane . I will probably also install the VMP BAP just to be safe .
If it knocks I will have a can of ms109 on hand.

I figure it’s proabably making about 750 now at the wheels if it holds max timing of 18-19* like it did on the 137 mph pass .
This is on par with the lethal car that made 755 at the wheels and went 10.6@136 on the whipple cal/same pulley .That car did have long tube headers .
It should pick up another 30 hp or 3 mph with the smaller pulley .Not sure if the cats will live with that pulley .
I would like to stick with the whipple tune while I have them (cats)especially since they are talking about a stage 3 / E85 tune that will only need an injector upgrade with the pump .
If I decide to ditch the cats then then I will have go with an aftermarket tune although I think there are some people running long tubes with the whipple cal.
I did notice the lethal car was able to get low 1.7 60’ft times.If I can get the car to do similar then I can get the ET down to low 10’s as it is now and may be a 9.99 with the 3.625 pullley /race gas.

May be lethal can share their launch technique ?.
I note they ran Hoosier slicks which are ligher but not sure if that wil account for the better times .

Last edited:

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Sounds like you'll find the limits of your setup. I'm looking forward to hearing how far you can get it down to. Which heat exchanger did you order? Standard, with fans, or upsized?
Whipple told me that their cal should work with longtubes and cats most of the time. Once you go catless, they said it absolutely won't work and they won't adjust it to work. I had to choose between using the Whipple CAL and buying HPtuners to make it work or get a custom tune. Since the shop doing my car has Lund remote tune boosted Coyotes weekly, I decided to go with a Lund tune.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you'll find the limits of your setup. I'm looking forward to hearing how far you can get it down to. Which heat exchanger did you order? Standard, with fans, or upsized?
Whipple told me that their cal should work with longtubes and cats most of the time. Once you go catless, they said it absolutely won't work and they won't adjust it to work. I had to choose between using the Whipple CAL and buying HPtuners to make it work or get a custom tune. Since the shop doing my car has Lund remote tune boosted Coyotes weekly, I decided to go with a Lund tune.

Lol
I hope “finding the limit “ does now mean another motor this time around .
I ordered the HD heat exchanger but they sent the one with fans . I decided to just go ahead and have that installed rather than another wait for the exchange .
I may do one more “test” with this pulley to see if 93 plus boostane does as well as 98 plus boostane .
In theory based on the boostane chart that’s 104 vs 109 octane if adding a can to 5 gallons .

If the 93 plus boostane works as well I may try it with 3.625 pulley ...with Ms109 on standby in case .
I figured 5 gallons of Ms109 @$70 is about the same cost as 5 gallons of 98 octane plus a $30 can of boostane

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Lol
I hope “finding the limit “ does now mean another motor this time around .
I ordered the HD heat exchanger but they sent the one with fans . I decided to just go ahead and have that installed rather than another wait for the exchange .
I may do one more “test” with this pulley to see if 93 plus boostane does as well as 98 plus boostane .
In theory based on the boostane chart that’s 104 vs 109 octane if adding a can to 5 gallons .

If the 93 plus boostane works as well I may try it with 3.625 pulley ...with Ms109 on standby in case .
I figured 5 gallons of Ms109 @$70 is about the same cost as 5 gallons of 98 octane plus a $30 can of boostane
The same thing happened to me with the heat exchanger. The correct one showed up Friday at the shop while I was there checking on the car. It is massive!

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
I'm not sure what mods you have, but has anyone looked over your car, or listened to your motor with knock ears? You might just have phantom knock. Sounds like these gen 3's are pretty noisey. Could very well be the case.

Just a thought. I haven't even read through the whole thread etc etc etc, but phantom knock can produce very similar problems with pulling timing even though you're running what would normally be plenty of octane.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what mods you have, but has anyone looked over your car, or listened to your motor with knock ears? You might just have phantom knock. Sounds like these gen 3's are pretty noisey. Could very well be the case.

Just a thought. I haven't even read through the whole thread etc etc etc, but phantom knock can produce very similar problems with pulling timing even though you're running what would normally be plenty of octane.
I guess that is possible but seems unlikely since it went to making max timing as soon as I added a can of boostane .
Only mods other than the whipple/OPG/CS are CF drive shaft ,BMR lock out kit and DSS axles.

Any one have suggestions on how to get the 60 down?
If I can get it down to the 1.6 range the car should go 10.3 as it sits .Tires are not spining . Just won’t leave hard enough varying rpm from 1800 to 2200.Tires are 28 inch tall and rear end is 3.55.

2 step ? The MSD is being advertised as 16-18 but per CJ pony it is not compatible with the 18’s .
Not sure if the N2MB WOT box will work .

2 relay transbrake is out of the question as I won’t even consider it for my “Hellion race car “ because of all the horror stories I have heard about cracking cases(the “built “auto swap I bought for my 12 had been subjected to one and I had to rebuild almost immediately ).

upload_2018-8-26_21-34-13.jpeg

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Lund is tuning some of the fastest 18's. Aldowelds TT car and also the fastest whipple car which has gone 152 mph--forget the guys name now... car is white.

If memory serves, both of those cars have a 2 step built into the tune that I have to imagine is Lund's doing. I could be wrong, but call them and ask maybe.
Sponsored