Sponsored

2018 GT. What mods to make the Coyote crank out more torque down low?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
because I have found at times they dont react consistently to the same input. My 06 GT was the same way, I have a couple of LIncolns, same thing. They react differently at different times
If it doesn’t react the way you think it should then it’s likely the torque demand table that you disagree with, not necessarily the fact that it’s an electronic throttle. The fact is that it’s producing just the amount of torque at that pedal input that Ford intended. For instance, at light pedal, Ford uses nearly an iso-power output curve. This makes part throttle acceleration easy to control, constant speeds easy to maintain, and no acceleration gain or loss after shifts. At heavy throttle, it transitions to an iso-torque output curve. This gives it progressive acceleration with increasing throttle and little acceleration fade at high rpm. Both make complete sense but neither match a cable throttle response curve if that’s what you expect or desire. It is possible to make it respond more like a cable throttle but there would really be no advantage.
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
While there are a few mods you can do to help pick up the torque, Coyotes aren't really known to be torque monsters due to the modular design. But as some have already stated, e85 is a great start to pick up a decent amount, as well as a ported 18+ manifold. If you have any questions about some options we can provide, feel free to reach out anytime. lethalperformance.com
What's your price for porting an 18+ intake off the car?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could not believe what a change the throttle controller that I just installed made. Coming from a C7 Grand Sport, my new Mustang felt very heavy with slow response but now it feels much more like my C7 did. Very, very happy with the change.
I couldn't get used to it. Not one setting was any better than my stock setup. In most cases worse. All very hard to modulate.

Maybe some brands work better than others?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I couldn't get used to it. Not one setting was any better than my stock setup. In most cases worse. All very hard to modulate.

Maybe some brands work better than others?
Could be. I have only tried the Soler TC and did not like the 1st few settings I tried but found that Comfort 7 setting was perfect for me when driving in the Normal mode.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
What's your price for porting an 18+ intake off the car?
Unfortunately if you're looking to port your manifold you already have, you would need to go direct with 1320 to facilitate shipping it out.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So I ordered this;
Soler Prf. DLX Bluetooth Throttle Controller for $135.00 Shipped. If it smooths it out that will be good, and I already did the clutch spring but drive by wire throttles pretty much arent my thing.
I was always told Long tube headers are for top end, which is not what I want, I feel like it needs some shorty headers. Will have to research....
It essentially already has shorty tubular headers. Shorty headers won't add more than a couple of hp to a Coyote.

Long tubes improve low end torque.

I'm not a fan of throttle controllers, because it's fake. You're not actually getting more power, just more throttle at the same input. That seems cheesy to me.

Things that will improve torque:
Ford Performance Pack and tune for the Gen 3 Coyote (Ford claims +42 ft lbs at 2000 rpm)
More gear (doesn't increase engine torque, but for a given gear, increases torque delivered to the rear wheels)
E85 tune (if not doing the FP power pack tune), combine this with an OEM ported TB and IM by Airflow Solutions LLC.
Borla Catback exhaust picks up a bit of low end though not significant

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately if you're looking to port your manifold you already have, you would need to go direct with 1320 to facilitate shipping it out.
Is it a core exchange process?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Throttle controllers just make the car more responsive to your foot, that's all.

It's the exact same thing as going from Normal mode to Sport+ mode.

I've got a Sprintbooster V2 and have it set up so the Normal Mode gives me response similar to the Sport+ mode as I prefer the Normal suspension setting for usual day-to-day driving.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Throttle controllers just make the car more responsive to your foot, that's all.

It's the exact same thing as going from Normal mode to Sport+ mode.

I've got a Sprintbooster V2 and have it set up so the Normal Mode gives me response similar to the Sport+ mode as I prefer the Normal suspension setting for usual day-to-day driving.
That is exactly why I got the Soler TC, I can keep it in normal mode now for day to day driving on the crappy roads around where I live, but without feeling like the first 15% of pressing the gas pedal does nothing (which is how Normal mode felt on my car).

OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Thanks for all the replies. Yes if it worked like a cable I can deal with it. I like cables and understand them.

It essentially already has shorty tubular headers. Shorty headers won't add more than a couple of hp to a Coyote.

Long tubes improve low end torque.

I'm not a fan of throttle controllers, because it's fake. You're not actually getting more power, just more throttle at the same input. That seems cheesy to me.

Things that will improve torque:
Ford Performance Pack and tune for the Gen 3 Coyote (Ford claims +42 ft lbs at 2000 rpm)
More gear (doesn't increase engine torque, but for a given gear, increases torque delivered to the rear wheels)
E85 tune (if not doing the FP power pack tune), combine this with an OEM ported TB and IM by Airflow Solutions LLC.
Borla Catback exhaust picks up a bit of low end though not significant
Is this what you mean???

1649205930808.png

Sponsored
OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
OK thanks. Once I have the Suspension on, I will move on to this as a next step; Im guessing that tune will require premium fuel. Is there an option to switch back and forth with the tunes are all they a full installation process with no different settings if you understand my point?

Also while we are talking about feel; why is it necessary to have so much clutch pedal play? Its a bit ridiculous (my O6 was the same way) and seems it could be designed differently to accomplish the same without my leg moving a foot. To push it all the way to floor makes me have my seat more forward then I would prefer. I dont guess there is a pedal play adjustment?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Also while we are talking about feel; why is it necessary to have so much clutch pedal play? Its a bit ridiculous (my O6 was the same way) and seems it could be designed differently to accomplish the same without my leg moving a foot. To push it all the way to floor makes me have my seat more forward then I would prefer. I dont guess there is a pedal play adjustment?
It's a safety net for most drivers so they don't shoot off into a crowd at little throttle input. In other words, it eases into forward movement at a slower pace.

For the rest of us where responsiveness is preferred, get a Sprintbooster V2 - you won't regret it and you can adjust it to 18 positions (9 green (less responsive) and 9 red (more responsive)).

mattrubt12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Manual
OK thanks. Once I have the Suspension on, I will move on to this as a next step; Im guessing that tune will require premium fuel. Is there an option to switch back and forth with the tunes are all they a full installation process with no different settings if you understand my point?

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to switch tunes back and for with the Ford Power Packs since the throttle body and CAI tubing is different sizing than stock. Also in these cars, fueling does make a difference in torque feel as it will adjust timing for lower octane fuel so that may be another reason why you aren't getting the response and power you are expecting. Unless you are worried about the factory warranty i would go with a tune through Lund or PBD, better bang for buck and would have the option to revert back depending on what you install(headers and intake would have to be stock to go back to stock tune). plus E85 wakes the car up down low as well.

josaycuervo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1 (MT, Velocity Blue)
I’m not sure it’s worth it to go through all the mods when a LT1/LS or Hemi engines are built for exactly what you want.

I drove a V8 Camaro 10-speed for a day… the LT1 and Coyote couldn’t be anymore different. You get all the torque low down. The RPM where the Coyote wakes up the LT1 runs out of breath.

Personally I found it a rather unremarkable engine. It doesn’t like to rev and the sound doesn’t change pitch enough to make it engaging when you do stretch its legs. It’s a motor that belongs in a truck/muscle car instead of a sports car. Objectively it’s great at the things you desire! To each their own.
Sponsored