Sponsored

2018 GT. What mods to make the Coyote crank out more torque down low?

OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Well today I had the pleasure of using the upper end revs passing several cars, a semi, a couple more cars behind an old Winnebago on a two lane road coming through the center of florida. Couldnt be more fun to rev at 7K and pass all that in one pass. However, most of the time Im just looking to lug and have more down around 2K. As far as headers, I need a tri Y design to increase the torque vs long tube headers. anyone know who might make those?

Also I am a Hemi guy; I have had three trucks and two Suvs with my latest a '20 Durango RT.
Sponsored

OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Thanks!! Anyone running these?

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Longtubes, e85, and not splitting hairs, but it's not a 302, it's a 305.
Biggest problem is the transmission with stupidly long 3rd and 4th gears, something really low like 4.09 would shorten them up a touch, but sacrificing top end speed. The 15-17 actually out-accelerate with their lower power output because of it.
Do the math the Coyote is a 301.9 cubic inch engine. (Not a full 5 liter engine) Very few American engines that someone decided should be called xx liter are actually that number. May as well split hair, but be correct when doing so.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Do the math the Coyote is a 301.9 cubic inch engine. (Not a full 5 liter engine) Very few American engines that someone decided should be called xx liter are actually that number. May as well split hair, but be correct when doing so.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/Coyote Technical Reference2.pdf

Doing the math, 93mm (3.6614") bore, 92.7mm (3.6496") stroke, and 8 cylinders = 307 cu, 5.04L, right?

cid = ( ( ( Bore/2 ) ^2) x Stroke x Pi ) x Cyls

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, but that only applies to the PWTA Gen 3 engines.
Precisely what this 2018 GT thread is about :). However, that doesn't invalidate their point any.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Math in public?!?!!

1649429794342.png

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, I stand corrected, that’s what I get with a generic internet search. Now, I remember reading the Ford gen 1, 2, 3 comparison.

Have to remember the rules, do the full research before ‘placing foot in mouth’ for all to see.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I was always told Long tube headers are for top end, which is not what I want, I feel like it needs some shorty headers. Will have to research....
There's actually no supporting evidence that shows that short primary length headers have a natural benefit for making more low-end torque over longer primary headers. The only thing related to headers that has actually been proven to greatly affect low end power is header extensions, but even then, the diameter and length of the extensions yield massively different results on different engines, depending on volumetric efficiency, cam profile/timing/etc, head flow capability, etc etc etc. And unless you're okay running around town with essentially straight open headers, that option is off the table for you.

If you want headers, go with longtubes from Kooks, ARH, Ultimate Headers, or any other high quality header option. BBK and JBA are a couple of the only shorty header manufacturers for these cars, and they aren't what I'd consider good quality. Otherwise, you'd be better off just using the Mac cat deletes for the stock headers since they flow great anyways.

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I can vouch for the increased torque down low with the Ford PP2 kit. It made my car feel more like what I expected out of a V8. And it should pass emissions.

As others have said, lower gears should help. I'm not sure what gears you have currently, but I test drove both a manual 3.55 car and 3.73 car back in the day, and could definitely tell a difference in response between the two.

Sponsored
OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Im for sure believing the tune helps. The new airbox etc is probably useless really. I have a Kand N in there and I bet with the Fordperformance exhaust I have maybe I will just get a tune and a throttle body for now. Maybe the cats next as the headers sound unecessary

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Longtubes, e85, and not splitting hairs, but it's not a 302, it's a 305.
Biggest problem is the transmission with stupidly long 3rd and 4th gears, something really low like 4.09 would shorten them up a touch, but sacrificing top end speed. The 15-17 actually out-accelerate with their lower power output because of it.

OP
OP

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Ive got 3.73s in it. 4.09s will make first too short. Would help 3 and 4th for sure

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Get hptuners and I’ll make you a tune to boost the low-end torque and response if you want. If you want more, consider LTH and F150 manifold. Otherwise you’re limited by the displacement.
Sponsored