Sponsored

2018 GT vs 2016 Camaro - Track Times Compared w/Video

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Thread should be called 2018 mustang GT vs 2018 camaro SS.

Because it's the same deal.
True. However I'm interested in seeing what GM attempts with the refresh for 2019. Then we can really start having useless arguments again on here. My favorite. :D
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Now lets go back to talking about the 2018 Mustang GT PP2. My questions are:
1 - Will they overhead on track without warranty destroying aftermarket coolers?
2 - Will they be readily orderable and available, or will this be another GT350/Boss 302 drama with dealer mark ups and limited production?
3 - Can I run a square setup with either the front or the back wheels on all 4 corners and an identical spare in the trunk?[/B]
I know this was posted a while back, but from what I have seen (been following the PP2 fairly closely, as I was strongly considering spending the coin to get one):
1. honestly, they probably will. There have already been reports of PP1 heat issues (specifically with the rear differential) on track, so I imagine with wider, stickier tires, it will only get worse. Do aftermarket coolers really affect the warranty though?
2. I assume they won't have dealer markups, but really who knows nowadays. I'm sure if you were to order one, they wouldn't mark it up
3. The tires come factory as a square 305 setup. However, the staggered wheels are also something I'm curious about

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
The 1LE is a supercar I am not sure what Ford can do.
How about the Ford GT...700 HP. AWD. 3250lbs...10.6 1/4 mile stock (but it's not a drag car, it's a track car through and through). Technically it's a hyper car, not a super car but it will spank the higher end Corvett on the track any day. It's a true street legal race car.

GM doesn't have anything to compete. Could they? Sure, if it made business sense and they could profit...but with their porfolio and customer base they obviously don't see value in it. But Ford did, so they made one, a darn good one.

In fact, the only reason for the vett to exist any more, given the Camaro now uses the vett engine, is it's chassis is lighter an more nimble than the 4 seater camaro. It's real advantage is in it's weight and handling and better tranny.

Ford obviously can build a very fast car. The GT out did two Euro super cars (McLauren and I think Ferrari) that cost 3x as much.

The Pony car wars is business as usual, they trade blows. Ford or GM will up their game, then their competitor will follow suite.

2011-2014 S197's were better drag cars than the Gen 5 Camaro's (2010-2015) in stock form and much lighter weight with similar power.

Then comes along the S550 which was just a hair slower than the S197 on the drag strip but showed substantial improvement on the track, especially with bumps and uneven surfaces.

The fast list for the 2015-2017 S550's has a 12.5 for the 6MT as a best and 12.3 for the 6A as the best, bone stock on stock tires. The Gen 5 Comarao, that was it's competitor at the time, was nearly identical on the drag strip according to the gen 5 camaro fast list.

Then GM comes out with a new chassis which they took from the higher end Caddillac and paired it with the 6.2 in the vett. They upped their game and out did Ford. Now Ford is taking back the lead by using a 10A, better chassis tuning and a new FI/DI version of the coyote.

Gen 6 Camaro fast list has 12.1's as the best for 6MT's. 11.9 for the 8A's. It's also quite a bit more expensive....take the cost difference and you can go FI or a stage 3 power pack or tons of aftermarket NA mods + suspension mods and it will blow away a stock Gen 6.

The base weight of a 2015-2017 GT 6MT is 3705. The base weight of the 2016-2017 1SS 6MT is 3685. That's only 20lbs difference...the S550 isn't a heavy pig, it's actually quite lightweight and the only reason the Gen 6 Camaro got so much lighter than the Gen 5 was because of a higher tier performance division's work in the GM family tree that Chevy was able to tap into.

Ford doesn't have a direct counterpart to Cadillac's offerings. Lincoln is more about luxury, not so much luxury performance. Cadillac is more like America's BMW as I see it.

I do know just the PP adds the following weight over the base GT: Strut tower and K-brace weigh about 17lbs total, PP wheels add 38lbs total. As far as I know, everything else is nearly identical weight.

Some of the GT PP's tested were Premiums optioned with the PP, not base GT's with just a PP, so they are heavier by a good 50~75lbs. I found that out for both C&D and Motortrend...the premiums come with 12 speaker 550 watt audio systems...some of those subs weight 40~50lbs just for the sub!

GM has better weight management when optioning, but a fully optioned SS is not nearly as nice to drive daily as a fully optioned GT. Just two different goals between the companies.

Plus with the Ford you get factory warrantied power packs through Ford Performance. The most GM offers is some exhaust and intake packages and some suspension upgrades. A stage 3 Power Pack for the 2015-2017 GT gives you 430+ wheel HP, 7500 red line....there's a huge amount of power in that top end as it holds torque much better due to the much better flowing intake manifold from the voodoo development...for $1900. It's also street legal in all 50 states, including cali as it meets CARB....that will provide enough advantage to make the first gen S550's on par with the current gen Camaro's at the strip, if not a bit more. Staying longer in each gear, even with no power increase is a substantial advantage by itself...

Let's not talk about overall quality...I think we know Ford wins on that front too. The 6.2L Camaro isn't very fast if it's sitting in the mechanics shop...get your mustang of flavor and enjoy it.

You'll beat some Camaro's and some Camaro's will beat you. Even auto cross, there was a new 2017 SS in first place, by a faction of a second...there was also a 2016 SS in LAST place despite it's slight advantages from the factory.

I think some of these magazine are not just biased overall, but they also have poor testing methodology...test a base SS1 against a base GT. Test a PP only GT against an equivalently optioned SS. Test a premium GT against a premium SS...on the same day, multiple drivers.

Also one person might drive on car faster than the other depending on their style and comfort with each car. Switch drivers and it may change.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
How about the Ford GT...700 HP. AWD. 3250lbs...10.6 1/4 mile stock (but it's not a drag car, it's a track car through and through). Technically it's a hyper car, not a super car but it will spank the higher end Corvett on the track any day. It's a true street legal race car.

GM doesn't have anything to compete. Could they? Sure, if it made business sense and they could profit...but with their porfolio and customer base they obviously don't see value in it. But Ford did, so they made one, a darn good one.

In fact, the only reason for the vett to exist any more, given the Camaro now uses the vett engine, is it's chassis is lighter an more nimble than the 4 seater camaro. It's real advantage is in it's weight and handling and better tranny.

Ford obviously can build a very fast car. The GT out did two Euro super cars (McLauren and I think Ferrari) that cost 3x as much.

The Pony car wars is business as usual, they trade blows. Ford or GM will up their game, then their competitor will follow suite.

2011-2014 S197's were better drag cars than the Gen 5 Camaro's (2010-2015) in stock form and much lighter weight with similar power.

Then comes along the S550 which was just a hair slower than the S197 on the drag strip but showed substantial improvement on the track, especially with bumps and uneven surfaces.

The fast list for the 2015-2017 S550's has a 12.5 for the 6MT as a best and 12.3 for the 6A as the best, bone stock on stock tires. The Gen 5 Comarao, that was it's competitor at the time, was nearly identical on the drag strip according to the gen 5 camaro fast list.

Then GM comes out with a new chassis which they took from the higher end Caddillac and paired it with the 6.2 in the vett. They upped their game and out did Ford. Now Ford is taking back the lead by using a 10A, better chassis tuning and a new FI/DI version of the coyote.

Gen 6 Camaro fast list has 12.1's as the best for 6MT's. 11.9 for the 8A's. It's also quite a bit more expensive....take the cost difference and you can go FI or a stage 3 power pack or tons of aftermarket NA mods + suspension mods and it will blow away a stock Gen 6.

The base weight of a 2015-2017 GT 6MT is 3705. The base weight of the 2016-2017 1SS 6MT is 3685. That's only 20lbs difference...the S550 isn't a heavy pig, it's actually quite lightweight and the only reason the Gen 6 Camaro got so much lighter than the Gen 5 was because of a higher tier performance division's work in the GM family tree that Chevy was able to tap into.

Ford doesn't have a direct counterpart to Cadillac's offerings. Lincoln is more about luxury, not so much luxury performance. Cadillac is more like America's BMW as I see it.

I do know just the PP adds the following weight over the base GT: Strut tower and K-brace weigh about 17lbs total, PP wheels add 38lbs total. As far as I know, everything else is nearly identical weight.

Some of the GT PP's tested were Premiums optioned with the PP, not base GT's with just a PP, so they are heavier by a good 50~75lbs. I found that out for both C&D and Motortrend...the premiums come with 12 speaker 550 watt audio systems...some of those subs weight 40~50lbs just for the sub!

GM has better weight management when optioning, but a fully optioned SS is not nearly as nice to drive daily as a fully optioned GT. Just two different goals between the companies.

Plus with the Ford you get factory warrantied power packs through Ford Performance. The most GM offers is some exhaust and intake packages and some suspension upgrades. A stage 3 Power Pack for the 2015-2017 GT gives you 430+ wheel HP, 7500 red line....there's a huge amount of power in that top end as it holds torque much better due to the much better flowing intake manifold from the voodoo development...for $1900. It's also street legal in all 50 states, including cali as it meets CARB....that will provide enough advantage to make the first gen S550's on par with the current gen Camaro's at the strip, if not a bit more. Staying longer in each gear, even with no power increase is a substantial advantage by itself...

Let's not talk about overall quality...I think we know Ford wins on that front too. The 6.2L Camaro isn't very fast if it's sitting in the mechanics shop...get your mustang of flavor and enjoy it.

You'll beat some Camaro's and some Camaro's will beat you. Even auto cross, there was a new 2017 SS in first place, by a faction of a second...there was also a 2016 SS in LAST place despite it's slight advantages from the factory.

I think some of these magazine are not just biased overall, but they also have poor testing methodology...test a base SS1 against a base GT. Test a PP only GT against an equivalently optioned SS. Test a premium GT against a premium SS...on the same day, multiple drivers.

Also one person might drive on car faster than the other depending on their style and comfort with each car. Switch drivers and it may change.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502034&highlight=ford

The ZL1 whooped the Ford GT on the track ezpz

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Kinda funny how even some of the Camaro members pointed out the fact that the GT driver was just cruising along.

The Ford GT edged out competitors Ferrari and McLauren on the track...times for the ZL1 aren't even close to those two cars...but don't tell a fan boy that :doh:.

I wouldn't exactly be pushing the limits of a car I just got into that cost 4x as much as my house first time out either...

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Kinda funny how even some of the Camaro members pointed out the fact that the GT driver was just cruising along.

The Ford GT edged out competitors Ferrari and McLauren on the track...times for the ZL1 aren't even close to those two cars...but don't tell a fan boy that :doh:.

I wouldn't exactly be pushing the limits of a car I just got into that cost 4x as much as my house first time out either...
To be fair, if you had a new Ford GT, I'm sure you'd have a more expensive house... #fakenews :lol:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
We've been through this one before...the Ford GT driver wasn't driving it hard as he just purchased it. This was his first outing with the vehicle and he was just getting familiar with it. Even so....it's blatantly obvious in that vid how much quicker the Ford GT is.
I know it is funny as heck though.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
How about the Ford GT...700 HP. AWD. 3250lbs...10.6 1/4 mile stock (but it's not a drag car, it's a track car through and through). Technically it's a hyper car, not a super car but it will spank the higher end Corvette on the track any day. It's a true street legal race car. (Don't disagree. However I'm interested in how the ZR1 will hold up against it.)

GM doesn't have anything to compete. Could they? Sure, if it made business sense and they could profit...but with their portfolio and customer base they obviously don't see value in it. But Ford did, so they made one, a darn good one.

In fact, the only reason for the vett to exist any more, given the Camaro now uses the vett engine (Using the vette engine isn't new. At all.), is it's chassis is lighter an more nimble than the 4 seater camaro. It's real advantage is in it's weight and handling and better tranny. (One extra gear for manual. Slight improvement. Same 8 speed as SS is you're into autos. ZL1 10 speed auto is definitely superior.)

The Pony car wars is business as usual, they trade blows. Ford or GM will up their game, then their competitor will follow suite. (One of the best things about competition.)

2011-2014 S197's were better drag cars than the Gen 5 Camaro's (2010-2015) in stock form and much lighter weight with similar power. (Definitely. I couldn't touch a 5th gen GT in my Camaro when it was stock for stock. Well... Unless the other driver sucked worse than I did. :lol: But I loved the 5th gen Mustang. Especially after the '14 refresh. That rear end was :love:)

Then comes along the S550 which was just a hair slower than the S197 on the drag strip but showed substantial improvement on the track, especially with bumps and uneven surfaces. (Can still beat the Camaro. It's a drivers race for sure. If the Camaro hesitates at all, the Mustang isn't being caught.)

The fast list for the 2015-2017 S550's has a 12.5 for the 6MT as a best and 12.3 for the 6A as the best, bone stock on stock tires. The Gen 5 Camaro, that was it's competitor at the time, was nearly identical on the drag strip according to the gen 5 Camaro fast list.

Then GM comes out with a new chassis which they took from the higher end Caddillac and paired it with the 6.2 in the vett. They upped their game and out did Ford. Now Ford is taking back the lead by using a 10A, better chassis tuning and a new FI/DI version of the coyote. (Yep. But, as you said. It's a back and forth fight. Will GM drop the 10 speed in the Camaro for the '19 refresh? I'm guessing so? But who knows...)

Gen 6 Camaro fast list has 12.1's as the best for 6MT's. 11.9 for the 8A's. It's also quite a bit more expensive....take the cost difference and you can go FI or a stage 3 power pack or tons of aftermarket NA mods + suspension mods and it will blow away a stock Gen 6. (Refresh on the Mustang puts them pretty equal on price once optioned out. Lower starting price still however. I'm guessing the route GM claims to be going, they'll be either right on or slightly lower with their starting price with the refresh.)

The base weight of a 2015-2017 GT 6MT is 3705. The base weight of the 2016-2017 1SS 6MT is 3685. That's only 20lbs difference...the S550 isn't a heavy pig, it's actually quite lightweight and the only reason the Gen 6 Camaro got so much lighter than the Gen 5 was because of a higher tier performance division's work in the GM family tree that Chevy was able to tap into. (Also, Ford changed to independent rear end. That was an adder for sure.)

Let's not talk about overall quality...I think we know Ford wins on that front too. The 6.2L Camaro isn't very fast if it's sitting in the mechanics shop...get your mustang of flavor and enjoy it. (Mustang has had issues just like the Camaro. I think people like to put on their biased goggles with their favorite brand on these types of issues. Although most of that stuff is ironed out over the first two year models.)

My responses...

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
How about the Ford GT...700 HP. AWD. 3250lbs...

Are you talking about the current Ford GT or referencing something else? The current model is 647hp and RWD only. No AWD available.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
The standard performance package (PP1) and PP2 are completely different animals.

The PP1 is a worthy improvement for street, spirited driving, autocross, etc, with nearly zero downside.

The PP2 on the other hand has a lot of downsides. The Cup 2 tires are horrible in rain, even dangerous. They are not good in cold temperatures. And they offer zero benefit until they are warmed up after a full lap or so on track. It is not good for autocross, as it won't get up to temp before the autocross run is over.

Similarly the low spoiler and reduced ride height will cause it to scrape everywhere.

In other words, the PP2 comes with a lot of downsides, and is ONLY a benefit if you track the car. Therefore most owners that spec it will track it.

The helmet comments are ridiculous, since that is a personal wear item, and is not attached to the vehicle, and adding one to your head does not void the warranty, or give Ford an excuse to deny warranty coverage.

It is is so ridiculous to see people defending leaving coolers out of the PP2, when all the competitors (BMW M2, 1LE, etc have them).
While I am not a PP2 owner... I do have PP1... My car is lowered and I have the same PP2 tires.. I also have a lip that is lower than the standard lips on both 17-18GTPP. I don't really get it. Yeah she might scrape a few times here and there, BUT she's still a blast to drive. Also, have you even owned a PP1 car with PZero tires? Those tires are garbage in bad weather, but boy were they fun.

I have plans to track the car, but I wouldn't rely on track parts coming from ford. I still think you're overreacting.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette

Hell, I wouldn't crash it unless I was for sure able to get another one. The hell people go through just to get one seems a little too unreal right now.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
The Gen 6 Camaro is awesome. GTFO here defending it. No one GAF. Yours truly, Mikey Pee

Last edited: