Sponsored

2018 GT vs 2016 Camaro - Track Times Compared w/Video

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to understand your way of thinking. Not asking for your resume. :)

As long as you stay away from the tech pack you shouldn't have issues with heat in a GT350. The 2018 GT PP2 will probably need coolers for tracking based on the info that Ford has sent out. Ford may offer coolers but they will still impact warranty, I assume.

You should be able to get a GT350R for less than a GS Corvette. I don't know what you are talking about here. Is this why you are talking down the GT350s?

So you think the GT350s fenders are difficult to see over, but you like the visibility from the Camaro? Very, very different from my experience. The 2018 GT PP2 will have better forward visibility than the Camaro, but not as good as the GT350. Since you either can't remember or are backwards on this, you may hate the GT PP2 forward visibility as far as I can tell.

Why would you want to run a square setup? Don't you want the handling setup optimized by the factory? I thought tires weren't a big deal to you?
Neither the Mustang or the Camaro have good over the fender visibility, compared to Vette - I never meant to imply that Camaro was better than Mustang.

I'm not talking down the GT350. It is not in the running for me. I have no interest in owning it.

I don't like to own "drama" cars. If I can't get to a dealer and see several available (or readily orderable) with a discount, I'm not interested.

I can go to Kerbeck and see dozens of Grand Sports with firm discounted prices, most dealers would sell you close to those prices. Same for Camaros 1LEs I can get them readily for $41-44K depending on option.

GT350s are drama. PP2 is drama right now, but maybe it won't be by the spring. PP1 is already readily available, looking forward to hear how they perform. But PP2 seams to be the Mustang sweet spot - if the drama can be removed.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Neither the Mustang or the Camaro have good over the fender visibility, compared to Vette - I never meant to imply that Camaro was better than Mustang.

I'm not talking down the GT350. It is not in the running for me. I have no interest in owning it.

I don't like to own "drama" cars. If I can't get to a dealer and see several available (or readily orderable) with a discount, I'm not interested.

I can go to Kerbeck and see dozens of Grand Sports with firm discounted prices, most dealers would sell you close to those prices. Same for Camaros 1LEs I can get them readily for $41-44K depending on option.

GT350s are drama. PP2 is drama right now, but maybe it won't be by the spring. PP1 is already readily available, looking forward to hear how they perform. But PP2 seams to be the Mustang sweet spot - if the drama can be removed.
Very clear. I think there may be a reason certain cars are in demand and others aren't, but that doesn't matter.

Like I said before, based on your criteria of not getting hot or needing aftermarket coolers the PP2 probably isn't for you. However my recommendation would be to wait until they are out and owners are giving feedback of their track experiences.

You could consider a 2014 Z/28 as well. I hear you can get really good deals on them.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Like I said before, based on your criteria of not getting hot or needing aftermarket coolers the PP2 probably isn't for you. However my recommendation would be to wait until they are out and owners are giving feedback of their track experiences.

You could consider a 2014 Z/28 as well. I hear you can get really good deals on them.
I don't own modern (i.e. complex, electronics laden) cars out of warranty. All my track cars (other than the race cars) are 0-3 years old under warranty. I love driving them to the track doing a a hassle free instructing/track day, racing (the next day on race car) and driving back. I love stealth cars, that don't look the part, yet do great on track.

As to the PP2 overheating issues, I am no stranger to managing a car's limitations on track. I have no problem shifting 1,000 RPM short of redline to keep temps in check for instance. So long as it's manageable, I'd rather manage the temps on a PP2 rather than putting aftermarket coolers.

If I can run 10 min full on and the rest of a session at say 6,000 RPM shifting, that is good enough for me. But I need one by next spring :)

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Having spent nearly 2 decades racing at the drag strip, I've learned to discount vehicle times as they relate to comparisons.

Different Days + Different Tracks + Different Traction + Different Weather = Different Everything

Not to mention outright deception by over enthusiastic owners (I've seen it all).

So while early private runs make for interesting internet conversations, that's about it. Wait for C&D to do a test, which makes adjustments for all of the variables listed above and equalizes the playing field.

Then we'll see how the two pony cars stack up ...
Spot on with this. While this run can tell us what the new Mustang is capable of, I think we need to see both cars in action and get a true assessment.

Blaqmole with the 12sec 6gen zl1 that thinks he owns the world is the biggest nutswinger I've seen in a while.
Not for nothin but you know the 6th Gen ZL1 is a low 11 sec car right?

Now lets go back to talking about the 2018 Mustang GT PP2. My questions are:
1 - Will they overhead on track without warranty destroying aftermarket coolers?
2 - Will they be readily orderable and available, or will this be another GT350/Boss 302 drama with dealer mark ups and limited production?
3 - Can I run a square setup with either the front or the back wheels on all 4 corners and an identical spare in the trunk?

Positive answers to 1 and 2 and I'm buying it. 3 is nice to have.
Will it be available now or what? That is what I'd like to know as well as your questions. I don't think it'll overheat without aftermarket coolers. That just looks like Ford covering their asses.

Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I was thinking about brakes, but it's just because I don't know. I'd be surprised if the Camaro brakes are as good as the GT350's.
The brakes are actually quite good. Even with stock pads they are much stronger than I had expected. Fluid change is obviously necessary, but that's to be expected. The larger pad, weight drop, and better tries have helped the braking tremendously from the previois gen 1LE, where brakes were the biggest weakness. I believe they are the same brakes as the Z51 vettes, but am not positive.

Edit: they are the same front caliper as the C7 Z06 with iron brakes.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
“imo the 18 is flopping hard. performance pack 3:55 gear a10 12.02 116 bone stock/11.887 sve springs,resonator delete,front passenger and rear seat pulled on a dragpack. beefcake base a10 3:15 gear goes 12.33 116 with drag springs,viking shocks,lund tuned on 93,cai,corsa catback,1pc driveshaft,dss axles,antihop kit,runs 11.33 123 with all that plus a 100shot.im not impressed by beefcake at all those are terrible times for the mods,not really impressed with what lmr did either,weight reduction plus mods still running basically an 11.9 119mph sounds great but meh when the et isnt there.”

LMAO

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Hey Blaq,

Since I know you’re lurking, watching..why don’t you come over here and debate with us? I’m sure you won’t be as brash and bombastic as you are on Camaro6. Why do I say that? Because fundamentally you are a coward. You claim you wouldn’t hold back here, so come on then.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Hey Blaq,

Since I know you’re lurking, watching..why don’t you come over here and debate with us? I’m sure you won’t be as brash and bombastic as you are on Camaro6. Why do I say that? Because fundamentally you are a coward. You claim you wouldn’t hold back here, so come on then.
In with the popcorn

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Unfortunately the PP2 doesn't have coolers, so I'm not sure if it will do that well. Sort of a mixed message with that setup, a lot like the initial GT350 tech and base versions.

-T

I've thought about this and I don't know that it will be a huge detractor. You're always going to have a few that complain about it overheating or demand that it's a track car because of some logic (came with PSC2s?!) and that it should have also had this or that... but the reality is many, many people don't take even the GT350s to the track. I've had my R for over a year and haven't made it yet. I've been a bunch in my previous cars. My point is, the PP2 is going to be a fun car to drive on the street where thermal limits will likely not be tested - so it does have a market.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Hey Blaq,

Would be pointless for anyone. They already stated so many things that are way out there like the 15-17 cars not being able to break into the 12s stock (again I guess the fast list on here is fake), the 18 will not run a 12.5 etc. People are complaining on there that LMR is doing shady things and cherry picked the best time they ran so it does not mean anything. And going after beefcake as well. A Camaro runs a 11.7 the same day as the 2018 LMR pass and now every Camaro runs a 11.7 now. There has been constant complaining about hero times and about how the Mustang hero times don’t count but every SS is a 11 second car. I just don’t understand the logic.

And that’s just a scratch on the surface. Blaq claimed that the 6th gen Camaro has zero issues basically ( there are a ton of threads on there talking about the made up issues but I guess it was a bunch of Mustang trolls on there). There is no debating or reasoning with someone who has a grudge like that or the others on there that are obsessed with the Mustang. C6G had a thread for the LMR time almost a day before there was one on here.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Every stock Camaro ive seen at the track runs between 12.4-12.8 and 12.4 is the fastest ive seen! The x factor for the 18 stang car is the 10 speed auto and i see chevy putting it in the ss in the near future to even the score! The battle rages on and its a good thing!
Sponsored