Sponsored

2018 GT Sound Tube plug size?

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
OK, yes I searched here and else where for the answer to my question.

After reading and watching videos I now know how to remove the sound tube from my GT.

My question is I know that I can order a delete kit which consist of a plug and clamp for the connection at the intake as well as a plug for the firewall. I have also seen where you can use a chair leg rubber foot to clamp off the intake connection. And use duck tape to seal the firewall opening.

One video made mention of the possibility of finding a hole plug at a local auto parts house or hardware store most likely manufactured by Dorman products. Does anyone happen to have the size plug or part number for this plug? Yes I could try to measure the opening size once I have removed the sound tube if I can get my big hand in there and able to get a measurement. Or maybe even get the measurement from the removed sound tube once removed. Ideally I would like to have everything at hand to install at the same time that I remove the old parts.

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
The kit from American Muscle is certainly the easier way. I overlooked that when I removed the sound tube on my car. Instead I ordered Ford part W651016-S300 (plug for the firewall) from my local dealership and used the good 'ol rubber chair leg tip (black) purchased from my local home depot to cover the hole on the intake tube. At first I thought that was a cheesy idea, but it was $1.50 or so, and if you don't know that's what it is you wouldn't know :)

In terms of removal, there are *allot* of videos on it. I nicely removed it from the intake tube, then just decided to yank it off the firewall (had to pull harder than I thought I would). Putting the Ford part W651016-S300 plug in was a trick. I was worried I'd drop it in the engine bay so made a tape loop, stuck it to my index finger then jammed it in there...just over a year to date and no issues.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I have a few of the end caps to fit the intake side of the sound tube as well as a few dozen clamps laying in a drawer of a tool box out in the garage.

I hate to spend $11 plus shipping for a rubber plug that I can likely pick up down the street....if I knew the size needed.

It's really not a lot of work to figure out if all I am doing is asking to pull from the knowledge of a forum member who may have the information. Asking questions and helping one another is kind of what online forums are about....

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The kit from American Muscle is certainly the easier way. I overlooked that when I removed the sound tube on my car. Instead I ordered Ford part W651016-S300 (plug for the firewall) from my local dealership and used the good 'ol rubber chair leg tip (black) purchased from my local home depot to cover the hole on the intake tube. At first I thought that was a cheesy idea, but it was $1.50 or so, and if you don't know that's what it is you wouldn't know :)

In terms of removal, there are *allot* of videos on it. I nicely removed it from the intake tube, then just decided to yank it off the firewall (had to pull harder than I thought I would). Putting the Ford part W651016-S300 plug in was a trick. I was worried I'd drop it in the engine bay so made a tape loop, stuck it to my index finger then jammed it in there...just over a year to date and no issues.
Great information and muchly appreciated.
Thank you,

Sponsored

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
I just shaved down a old broom handle a bit pulled the hose,and stuck it in , done,
Till i did this i put on 12,000 miles with just a small cheap visegrip clamping it..looked very trick!! :)..Cant image spending money to plug a hole.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just shaved down a old broom handle a bit pulled the hose,and stuck it in , done,
Till i did this i put on 12,000 miles with just a small cheap visegrip clamping it..looked very trick!! :)..Cant image spending money to plug a hole.
Ingenuity at it's best, I commend you of thinking out of the box and saving a buck.
Sponsored