LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
I just purchased a 2018 GT convertible, fully equipped (PP1, Magneride, 401A, 10sp auto, variable exhaust, Shaker, metallic gray exterior, black interior). I have about 1,100 miles on it and I really like it. BTW, I am a 69-year-old retired engineer and this vehicle will be my last rodeo. What better vehicle for one's last rodeo than a Pony?

As a DIY oil-changer, I was interested in how hard it would be to change the oil in a GT with the power package 1. Therefore, I put the pony on my ramps and took an exploratory crawl. Vertical space was very limited so I could not move around easily.

It was easy to find the oil filter, but I am not sure I ever found the oil drain plug. I did find a port at the bottom of a polymer pan located between the engine and the transmission. However, this port was covered by a yellow plastic plug that looked like it could be removed by hand. I was afraid to remove it without more research.

Have any of you posters (I really appreciate all the very interesting posts) changed the oil in a 2018 GT with PP and know how to accurately located the oil drain plug? If so, please pass along your advice. Also, anyone know what the yellow plastic plug is about? I am beginning to thing it is a protective plug for the oil drain plug or it's there for mfg. purposes. Please advise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
the 2018 is the yellow plastic plug for the oil drain.

OP
OP

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Someone is going to ask, did you read the manual first..?

:cheers:
Yes, I have read the manual, but sort of casually. I agree that is the place everyone should consult before posting questions. However, IMO, the manual is the poorest written supporting document I have come across. There was information there, but it was (generally speaking) very difficult to pull out and use. The maintenance section is very poor and, IMO, incomplete.

I tried to use the manual to figure out how to use the mode settings and the display features on the very nice 401A dash. I should also mention the dealer was very willing but of little help as this mustang was the only GT Premium with PP1 and 401A they had on the lot and they had no experience on this configuration.

The best way to master the dash setting (at least for me) was to just "play" with it (with vehicle not moving!!) until I understood how to maneuver around the settings. It was actually fairly intuitive. I am reasonably comfortable using the 401A/Pony Icon to set the different modes including the very useful MyMode. The toggle switches are also very helpful.

However, the manual was little help. I think it was written by novice engineers with little knowledge about how the hardware/software components actual work. To be fair, writing manuals that can be easily understood is not easy (I have written a few, some better that others).

I also called the Ford support/help number I found in the manual. Again - no help with the 401A settings. To be fair, this was the Sync help line and the 401a/Pony icon settings is a little outside their mission.

Finally, if anyone one is struggling like I did to master the 401a/Pony Icon settings, I will be glad to try and help them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
You already found it. Turn that yellow plug and watch the oil drain out.
Thank you very much. I am glad I did not turn it while I was on my exploratory grawl:) I would have hit a 10 qt gusher!

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Thank you very much. I am glad I did not turn it while I was on my exploratory grawl:) I would have hit a 10 qt gusher!
I would recommend to loosen the plug so the oil drains out slowly and take it off completely once you have drained a few quarts. I made the mistake of taking it off and boy did it make a mess.:headbonk:

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
.....be ready when you remove that plug. The hole is bigger then normal. It comes out quick!

OP
OP

LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
.....be ready when you remove that plug. The hole is bigger then normal. It comes out quick!
Thanks. I am sure that is great advice that I will follow.

Can one remove the plug by hand or are tools (like a pair of properly placed pliars) required?

Sponsored

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can one remove the plug by hand or are tools (like a pair of properly placed pliars) required?
There is an O-ring seal. That O-ring was installed dry on my 2018 GT auto mag PP and I had to use a crescent wrench to turn it.
Cheers,

FabTbird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The yellow plug is it. I couldn't get mine to turn by hand and used a pair of pliers to get it started. 10 quarts is a lot of oil make sure your drain pan will handle it. Also mine was about half a quart low after the change I assumed that was the new filter. Ok agree there isn't much room to move using ramps.

65 stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt 6 speed p/p premium r/r 65 hardtop 289
On my first oil change I turned the yellow plug a 1/4 - 1/2 turn then eased it out a little until the oil came out in a little stream, then I went and did some other things and came back to it 10 minutes later, less mess.
Sponsored