OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Even as the owner of a '15 GT, I am scratching my head at people who are trying to call BS on the '18 GT power level.........who the %$#@ really cares whether the pull was on a Mustang or Dynojet machine? Hell, just buy a Camaro and be done with it..............
Who are people?
Sponsored

two_68s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Supercharged GTPP
Chassis dyno results are relative to that car, on that day, on that dyno. Trying to generalize '18 engine performance from one chassis dyno is irrelevant.

Put a '17 GTPP and an '18 GTPP on the SAME dyno, on the SAME day and you have a comparison. Otherwise its just nonsense.

Chassis dyno's are all different. My '68 puts out 500 hp at the crank and it put out 365 on one chassis dyno and 415 on another. Different days, different dynos, same car.

The relevance of using a chassis dyno is to see what your tuning does to the car and how it responds. Not to compare and generalize to an entire model year.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Who are people?
"People" are those questioning dyno results for the '18 GT. The American Muscle thread had several comments such as:
"Ok that Dyno is definitely running a little hot. No way it's making 437 RWHP."
After the '01 Cobra disaster, now way Ford is ever going to "over-rate" an engine. If anything, I would expect the actual HP of the '18 to be higher than advertised.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Chassis dyno results are relative to that car, on that day, on that dyno. Trying to generalize '18 engine performance from one chassis dyno is irrelevant.

Put a '17 GTPP and an '18 GTPP on the SAME dyno, on the SAME day and you have a comparison. Otherwise its just nonsense.

Chassis dyno's are all different. My '68 puts out 500 hp at the crank and it put out 365 on one chassis dyno and 415 on another. Different days, different dynos, same car.

The relevance of using a chassis dyno is to see what your tuning does to the car and how it responds. Not to compare and generalize to an entire model year.
Amongst all the noise of Internet forums, this is one of the most intelligent and coherent posts I have read in a long time. Bravo sir!

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
"People" are those questioning dyno results for the '18 GT. The American Muscle thread had several comments such as:
After the '01 Cobra disaster, now way Ford is ever going to "over-rate" an engine. If anything, I would expect the actual HP of the '18 to be higher than advertised.
Now that the Mustang is considered an export car, it is likely under rated. Advertising standards in some countries are VERY strict. So the hp needs to be literally the min. you can expect to get in worse case scenarios. Also, first runs of engines are usually rated a little conservatively, then after a couple of years, they magically increase the hp # with virtually no changes. Example: 2011 GT = 412hp, 2013 GT = 420hp... same engine.

So the 2018 probably needs to actually put out on average 470 hp, +-10hp (+-2% due to engine efficiency variations), so the min. hp you get is 460hp.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Now that the Mustang is considered an export car, it is likely under rated. Advertising standards in some countries are VERY strict. So the hp needs to be literally the min. you can expect to get in worse case scenarios. Also, first runs of engines are usually rated a little conservatively, then after a couple of years, they magically increase the hp # with virtually no changes. Example: 2011 GT = 412hp, 2013 GT = 420hp... same engine.

So the 2018 probably needs to actually put out on average 470 hp, +-10hp (+-2% due to engine efficiency variations), so the min. hp you get is 460hp.
The 2015 MY was considered an export car and was not underrated.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting that it can differ so much as 385 to 417 / 435(can't remember the exact number from LMR and AM's runs) rwhp. May it be different dynos and days, but topping a 11.5% delta is pretty high.

Just as info I have a car on order

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
:popcorn: this is getting good.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

The power numbers here in Sweden are 451 for the 2018

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Take it to the drag strip then we'll know everything that we need to know

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
'99 Cobra disaster. 2000 year model cobras never came out after this, only a 2000 Cobra R with a 5.4. The 2001 Cobras made their advertised horsepower with intake and a couple of other changes, and laid the ground work for the 2003 Mach 1 engines, which were fairly close to the same engine, minor differences.(and that was an underrated motor, 305 vs 2001s 320, and it actually had slightly better cams and a ram air, probably made the same maybe a tad more.)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
These cars are now upto 120mph trap speeds stock, who cares what a dyno says, they are fast as fuck!

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
'99 Cobra disaster. 2000 year model cobras never came out after this, only a 2000 Cobra R with a 5.4. The 2001 Cobras made their advertised horsepower with intake and a couple of other changes, and laid the ground work for the 2003 Mach 1 engines, which were fairly close to the same engine, minor differences.(and that was an underrated motor, 305 vs 2001s 320, and it actually had slightly better cams and a ram air, probably made the same maybe a tad more.)
AUS got 2000 Cobras.

Also in dynos the 01 Cobra usual did a tad more HP but the Mach1 did more TQ.
Sponsored

Last edited: