bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
What rear end gears do you have? 3.73's? I personally don't have any problems going up a mountain but I also have 4.10's. Someone with 3.31's won't be so lucky without going really fast. Especially since 6th is an overdrive gear.
PP is 3.73. Even with 3.31, I don't see it being an issue unless it is a really steep grade (for 18+).
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Anyways here's my smiles per gallon with 93 octane ( @ 63 mph cause the speed limit is 60 mph )
FLat road well because Manitoba
c_oc=AQn4jaEnNRzYotLpzRB3TfdAdD3tL2d_ohAsMUJUxF_qRL9A4tW6J6tfE6Fci34j_us&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Is your gas pedal busted?
The RCMP are pricks around here.. they'll pull you over if there radar show 1mph over the speed limit. I shit you not.
And just for the record, it's around the same @ 70 mph.

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I don’t know coming from my Scat Packs which required premium it seems like you can go any route with this Mustang.
87/89/93....
I mean I live in Florida where it gets hot but i don’t know may run 87 and save the money it says you can in the manual so it hopefully it isn’t an issue.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
As an engineer and part-time thermodynamicist, I'd say you need to back off on what can be predicted by compression ratio. The guys who spend MILLIONS of dollars racing say otherwise, at least to me. Admittedly, I'm talking with guys who race airplanes, but these guys and my own experience tell me almost anything over about 10.5 : 1 should be running higher grade fuel, either octance or performance number. As you know, anything over 100 is a performance number, not an Octane rating. They run grade 150 in racing aircraft at Reno. When I was turbocharging sandrails in Arizona (two Subaru turbos on a big VW block), we'd put a regulator in-line with the turbo wastegate that was usually factory-set to 6.0 - 6.5 psi. Then we'd crank down on the regulator to get more boost.

Reguar fuel would detonate rather quickly, then we'd switch to higher octane and get a bit more boost, usually about 2 - 4 more psi before it detonated again. Then, we'd rejet and switch to methanol and get maybe 4 - 8 more psi. Might have gotten more, I don't know because too many guys kept cranking up the boost. It ran better and better right up until it blew up in a scrap iron fit. I stopped at about 280 hp and was happy with the results.

Later, I switched to a Mazda rotary (bridgeported 13B) and was also very happy with it, especially since we could find them almost free in old RX-2's and such sitting around. EASY to work on and get some HP from. We'd get the eccentric shaft pinned and take the bridgeported engines to 10,500 rpm with no issues and 225 - 240 HP and VERY light weight. More with a turbo.

I don't want to start anything, but my engine opinions are taken from hot rodding since the mid-1960's with big and small blocks, natural atmospheric and boosted, as well as Wankels and big WWII V-12s (1649 and 1710 cubic inch V-12's and radial as large as 3,350 cubic inches).

So, you may be correct.

I'll stick with what I KNOW to be true from personal experience, not some magazine. I'm not not that your opinions are from magazines ... not saying that. All it means to the two of us is I run gas that is slightly more expensive than the gas you run, and I do it at my own option. No big deal to either of us. I'd love to get together some time, but California is a LONG way from North Carolina! it's all good as long as we don't blow 'em up or wreck 'em. I'll do my part as well as I can. Hope you do, too.

Cheers to you, Ebm, no sarcasm intended.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
87 octane is for one thing: Sales. You're more apt to buy a performance car knowing you can put the cheapest possible gas into it. WHy people put the cheapest things into high performance cars is beyond me. Like oil too. they put the cheapest oil they can get, and if you think the quality of that oil will still be there even halfway before the computer says to change it, your delusional. Or why put dot 4 brake fluid when dot 3 is half the price. Or put in cheap walmart ATF when it's the third of the cost of Mercon ATF etc., etc.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
87 octane is for one thing: Sales. You're more apt to buy a performance car knowing you can put the cheapest possible gas into it. WHy people put the cheapest things into high performance cars is beyond me. Like oil too. they put the cheapest oil they can get, and if you think the quality of that oil will still be there even halfway before the computer says to change it, your delusional. Or why put dot 4 brake fluid when dot 3 is half the price. Or put in cheap walmart ATF when it's the third of the cost of Mercon ATF etc., etc.
If you put in fluids that do not meet manufacturers specifications it can void your warranty for a parts related issue. Using 87 gas will not do this. It certainly will not help the engine performance but it will not hurt it either. So long as Top Tier gas is used no one should be concerned about 87 harming their car. It's a personal choice. I chose to use 93 but that's just me.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don’t know coming from my Scat Packs which required premium it seems like you can go any route with this Mustang.
87/89/93....
I mean I live in Florida where it gets hot but i don’t know may run 87 and save the money it says you can in the manual so it hopefully it isn’t an issue.
Running in the Florida heat in the summer months could constitute "severe" conditions. Let your ears and your butt guide you. If you hear knock or feel the car is sluggish throw in a few tanks of 91/93.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
fluids that do not meet manufacturers specifications
almost all the cheap stuff meets manufactures specs. How long the hold those properties is another matter altogether,

Last edited:

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Tuned or not? I run premium all the time, and since the day I bought the car. 93 is what we have around here. 87, 89, or 93 is all you can get. No E85 or whatever else there may be. Stock on premium I ran 18.2 to 18.3 MPG City mix driving, and driving how I drive. I tuned, same 93 fuel, and I've gotten better gas mileage. 20 and over, driving the same... No tuner would knock the tune either. The tunes are worth your time. More power and better gas mileage? :inspect::clock:

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Bikeman 315, I think you are wrong. Today's engines advance the timing until they detect detonation and back it off slightly until no more detonation is detected. When they do that (think Digital Fuel Injection and the attendant sensors), then the 87 octane fuel WILL result in less power delivered before detonation is encountered ... IF YOU ARE USING THAT MUCH POWER from your engine.

If you are not, then 87 octane is OK. But if you are making more than around half of the max power output of which the engine is capable, higher octane fuel will result in more power produced and delivered before detonation starts to occur. In this case, the lower octane fuel will be constrained to not detonate by the CPU, but it WILL hurt your possible power produced relative to using better-performing fuel. The CPU may not allow the engine to be damaged, but it will also make less power then it would with better fuel.

A carbureted engine will not run that way, adjusting for detonation. But digital fuel injection will.
Sponsored