Sponsored

2018 GT malfunction of the day - Brembo brakes

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
I switched rotors almost immediately, first time I've done so in a car. Between cars and Superbikes I've owned at least 50.

Why? These rotors rust fast. They might offer a performance advantage in composition but IMHO it's not worth the tradeoff. Dont know..I've had plenty of Brembos in the past so there must be something in the Ford spec.
Huh? They are bare cast iron like every other common rotor made. They will all rust. Combine with a semi-metallic pad and no movement and you have locked brakes.

Op, drive the car after washing to dry the brakes or maybe switch to ceramic pads and see if that prevents lockup. I have no clue since I actually drive my car.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I use a 580 CFM leaf blower to air dry the majority of my car after each wash, it really helps with getting all of the water out of the brakes.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
220 was a day of spirited driving on some country roads with varying degrees of tight turns. I'm sure the pads were bedded, but just never thought this would be an issue.
If you're trying to say that this was your bedding procedure, then I doubt this was adequate. street driving will almost never use enough prolonged pressure to properly bed pads, no matter how "spirited" it is

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I do like the OP and have never had a problem. My '16 GT also had Brembos and I never had a problem. I do see surface rust on the rotors after washing, but the next drive cleans them up and coats the wheels with brake dust.

2 differences:
I always bed my brakes on a new car like this - https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

I pull in the garage and back out. Maybe there's some mechanical advantage to breaking them free in reverse?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Huh? They are bare cast iron like every other common rotor made. They will all rust. Combine with a semi-metallic pad and no movement and you have locked brakes.

Op, drive the car after washing to dry the brakes or maybe switch to ceramic pads and see if that prevents lockup. I have no clue since I actually drive my car.
Sorry. I've had far too many vehicles to accept that explanation. Why do they rust sp quickly on a Mustang even just sitting in a garage when they don't on BMW, Lexus, Porsche or any of my couple dozen Superbikes all on Brembo or Brembo quality level brakes? Do you realize OEM Brembo comes in many levels and most aren't the same as aftermarket Brembo?

Glad I switched mine out!

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I have seen similar behavior on other cars, but I admit I have never let a car sit in the garage for days after washing. If I fail to make a round the block run the first brake depression will make a kind of nasty "fingers on the chalkboard" sound.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Several times I washed my car and then left on a business trip for a week or more (didn't want it to sit in the garage dirty). It always was fine. I also rarely drive it immediately after washing since it goes back into the garage for some kind of wax/detailing work. Never had a problem.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Have had this happen before on a car that would sit for long periods. Few things I have learned that have helped me avoid this:
- only wash the car when the rotors have cooled to a point where I would be able to touch them without crying out in pain.
- as someone else said blow drying is key esp for brakes and wheels.
- leave no sign of rust on the rotor after a wash. As others have said take it for a quick spin. What has worked for me and minimized the resulting ‘rust dust’ on my just washed wheels is to back out of the driveway with light pressure on the pedal,then put in drive, repeat three or four times,

Hope it helps.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What product do use to clean your wheels?
How is it the Caliper takes the blame for the corrosion?
Wouldn't it be the pad? Hmmmm What do you think the pad is made of?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have washed my own 2018 EB Prem w/PP (and prior 2016) and put it away without driving it anywhere, where the wheels and brakes were still wet (after drying the body of the car) and have never had that issue ever.... not with this Mustang, but ANY other vehicle we have owned.

Rotor surface rust, sure
Brake calipers clacking or “scraping” on the surface rust of rotor, sure
But totally locking down the vehicle from being able to be moved.... no....

Maybe on a Retro-Rustang that has sat in a field for 20+ years, with totally locked up brakes....but not a brand new vehicle.

It sounds like you have defective brake calipers or the pads are defective.

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Appreciate all the genuine responses.

I did talk to a service advisor today at a completely different Ford dealership and he stated that is unheard of and should never happen, regardless of my wash routine. Surface rust, yes, but completely immobilizing the car in a weeks time, no.

I'll update after I take it in on Thursday.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I hated the stock PP brakes. I had this issue from time to time and the brake dust was insane.

I swapped over to PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors and extreme pads. Far less brake dust and noise, braking feels the same.
Sponsored