Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

DevereIII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT/CS Premium, B&O, A/E
I've been meaning to report here that I used Pennzoil 5w30 in my last oil change a couple of weeks ago. I could always hear the rattling at 1900 - 2200 RPM at a sub-moderate level. On warm up the most until it's hot and then you can barely hear it. With the 5w30 in I have observed a noticeable difference in the rattle. I can still hear it but it has a slightly lower pitch to it, and it is definitely less noticeable/louder than with 5w20!
Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Did the first oil change yesterday flushing my factory fill. And used oem motorcraft with the fl500 filter, car is a ninja makes no abnormal noise and no sign of any tick (rumors say it appear after first oil change)

Touching wood. Got a good one i think

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
More and more I’m convinced the 2k rattle is a transmission issue. I drove 430 highway miles this weekend, and the rattle does not occur in 5th or 6th gear (I have the 6sp).

That may explain why some folks who had engine swaps the rattle came back. I really wish I could swap out the tranny and clutch to find out. Actually contemplating how to do that.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Either that, or I have a 2k rattle from the tranny that sounds exactly like what is believed to be piston slap (or the competing theory of the DI fuel system).

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
More and more I’m convinced the 2k rattle is a transmission issue. I drove 430 highway miles this weekend, and the rattle does not occur in 5th or 6th gear (I have the 6sp).

That may explain why some folks who had engine swaps the rattle came back. I really wish I could swap out the tranny and clutch to find out. Actually contemplating how to do that.
But both manual and auto has the same rattle, how can it be possible ?

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the first oil change yesterday flushing my factory fill. And used oem motorcraft with the fl500 filter, car is a ninja makes no abnormal noise and no sign of any tick (rumors say it appear after first oil change)

Touching wood. Got a good one i think
3 times i did an oil change at Ford, and each time i have checked they didn t put enough oil (they put the same amount as 2017 and older) I wonder if they did the same thing at the first oil change that damage the engine.

vince.fr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
snauwaert
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford mustang bullitt ,1969 ford mustang mach 1
hello the mustang community,
i live in france and i bought a new 2020 bullitt, i also have this noise between 2000 and 3000 rpm, my car now has 3300 miles but ford does not recognize this problem at home ... .
do you know if your ford has a Technical Support Bulletin for this quality problem?
Thanks for your help .
vincent

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
But both manual and auto has the same rattle, how can it be possible ?
My 6-speed has the rattle in 5th gear as well as the lower 4 gears. I can even hear it on the highway. I don't know about 6th gear, I rarely use it. How is it possible? It's not transmission related, I suppose.
After hearing the same rattle in a 2019 Bullitt on their lot, and talking to Ford, my local dealer declared it was a "feature". That is to say, normal.

Last edited:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can hear the rattle more and more. 40000 miles, 3 years. I m fed up, i was wondering if i will buy it at the end of the lease. The answer is no. I bought a tesla and looking for a convertible toy for summer (porsche) but no more mustang for me

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
hello the mustang community,
i live in france and i bought a new 2020 bullitt, i also have this noise between 2000 and 3000 rpm, my car now has 3300 miles but ford does not recognize this problem at home ... .
do you know if your ford has a Technical Support Bulletin for this quality problem?
Thanks for your help .
vincent
Nope, no bulletin that specifically addresses this rattle. I think most of us are annoyed. The only real solution so far is to turn up the radio. Sorry, I wish I had better news on this.

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I can hear the rattle more and more. 40000 miles, 3 years. I m fed up, i was wondering if i will buy it at the end of the lease. The answer is no. I bought a tesla and looking for a convertible toy for summer (porsche) but no more mustang for me
I don’t blame you, I’m starting to look at other vehicles as I just can’t seem to simply ignore it.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
The used '18 that I test-drove had the loud tick immediately on startup. I did not know about it at that time and I would have been reluctant to buy the car even if I had been interested in that specific car at the time. The salesman made no mention of it being a common noise.
So I went on to buy a new one, and ironically got this "other" noise that is the subject of this thread.
Sponsored