Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
On driver and passenger or just driver side? I’m trying to think what could possibly be in the dash causing the noise
Start in the middle where the speaker and grill is located on top of the dash. Just start pressing on stuff while the noise is happening to see if the noise changes or goes away.
Sponsored

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Start in the middle where the speaker and grill is located on top of the dash. Just start pressing on stuff while the noise is happening to see if the noise changes or goes away.
Will do thanks very much I will have my dealer look into it as well

Daniel1976

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have a rattle when letting off the gas. Sitting in park or driving at low rpms. Give it gas let off get a rattle sound almost like a machine gun sound. I don't have a rattle under load just when giving it gas and then a deceleration rattle. Anyone else have this? Know what could be causing it?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have a rattle when letting off the gas. Sitting in park or driving at low rpms. Give it gas let off get a rattle sound almost like a machine gun sound. I don't have a rattle under load just when giving it gas and then a deceleration rattle. Anyone else have this? Know what could be causing it?
I have that, dealer replaced my cam phaser solenoids, then cam phasers, neither had any affect and were total wastes of time. Seems more noticeable when cold. Doesnt seem to affect anything so I quit worrying about it.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
mine is when cold also first 4-5 min sporadic tap from bottom then when warm or hot its gone ,i actually stopped working about it and don't really care anymore -car runs hard and is quiet when up to temp .im going to supercharge it and if it lets go i will build it better . Im tired of worrying

Sponsored

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
mine is when cold also first 4-5 min sporadic tap from bottom then when warm or hot its gone ,i actually stopped working about it and don't really care anymore -car runs hard and is quiet when up to temp .im going to supercharge it and if it lets go i will build it better . Im tired of worrying i have 1280 miles on my car had it a year

Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My car has the rattle but don’t think it’s as bad as the OP’s. I have 15.6K miles and quite honestly I’m gonna keep driving it hard until something happens since ford seems to think everything is “normal”.

chrisscahill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sad Day, but a good day..... Ford RAV approved the buyback of my 2019 Mustang GT PP1 with 3000 miles on it. Original engine started having rattle/clatter noises at ~ 1000 miles. Dealer recommended full engine replacement as there was metal in the oil filter. Replacement engine started exhibiting the same sounds at ~ 1000 miles. At this point I was pretty pissed off. I love the car and driving it will be missed, but I cannot spend my hard earned money on something that is not correct.
I am so curious how many people who own a GT with this motor are really hearing this issue? I realize some people do not listen to their motor for anything abnormal. I know the survey on this page shows x number of people. I just wonder how widespread the issue really is? I would love to own another GT someday as this car is rejuvinating to drive and it will be missed. :(

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
18guy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT auto
I have that, dealer replaced my cam phaser solenoids, then cam phasers, neither had any affect and were total wastes of time. Seems more noticeable when cold. Doesnt seem to affect anything so I quit worrying about it.
Thats what they did to mine also cam phasers were bad from what they said well brought it home and boom same noise its been about 8k miles and im like screw it ill drive it till it blows up

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Sad Day, but a good day..... Ford RAV approved the buyback of my 2019 Mustang GT PP1 with 3000 miles on it. Original engine started having rattle/clatter noises at ~ 1000 miles. Dealer recommended full engine replacement as there was metal in the oil filter. Replacement engine started exhibiting the same sounds at ~ 1000 miles. At this point I was pretty pissed off. I love the car and driving it will be missed, but I cannot spend my hard earned money on something that is not correct.
I am so curious how many people who own a GT with this motor are really hearing this issue? I realize some people do not listen to their motor for anything abnormal. I know the survey on this page shows x number of people. I just wonder how widespread the issue really is? I would love to own another GT someday as this car is rejuvinating to drive and it will be missed. :(
Im at 12,500 miles, and mines been rattling like a maraca under light throttle (any gear) since ~1000 miles. I have a few oil samples I've been meaning to send in, but haven't gotten around too it. Car runs fine. I've never seen anything bad in the oil or the filter, and the noise goes away under load or off throttle. It only rattles at a very specific throttle load, so I suspect it's normal. One of these days I'll get around to trying to locate it, but if I had to guess, I'd blame the fuel pump. It's louder inside than out, though I can hear it outside too. Especially if I'm driving beside a building or something.

chrisscahill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Im at 12,500 miles, and mines been rattling like a maraca under light throttle (any gear) since ~1000 miles. I have a few oil samples I've been meaning to send in, but haven't gotten around too it. Car runs fine. I've never seen anything bad in the oil or the filter, and the noise goes away under load or off throttle. It only rattles at a very specific throttle load, so I suspect it's normal. One of these days I'll get around to trying to locate it, but if I had to guess, I'd blame the fuel pump. It's louder inside than out, though I can hear it outside too. Especially if I'm driving beside a building or something.
My car seemed to have run fine as well. But the fact that either of the 2 motors did not make that rattling noise until after 1000 miles it made me very suspicious of what was going in internally in the motor. If it was by design to make that noise it should have made it from the first start up. I am not an internal engine mechanic, but something tells me that since the first motor had metal in it after it starting making the noise, something is going on after 1000 miles and it is not normal. It may have lasted thru the 36,0000 mile warranty, but I was not willing to take that chance. As you mentioned when I drove between 2 buildings or in a parking garage it sounded like maracas. This sound cannot be normal. Good luck. I will wait a few years for Ford to hopefully figure that out as I will miss not having a GT for a few years to come.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
My car seemed to have run fine as well. But the fact that either of the 2 motors did not make that rattling noise until after 1000 miles it made me very suspicious of what was going in internally in the motor. If it was by design to make that noise it should have made it from the first start up. I am not an internal engine mechanic, but something tells me that since the first motor had metal in it after it starting making the noise, something is going on after 1000 miles and it is not normal. It may have lasted thru the 36,0000 mile warranty, but I was not willing to take that chance. As you mentioned when I drove between 2 buildings or in a parking garage it sounded like maracas. This sound cannot be normal. Good luck. I will wait a few years for Ford to hopefully figure that out as I will miss not having a GT for a few years to come.
Yeah, I know how you feel. Engine warranty is 60k, so I have a while. I do need to bring it back in and get them to document that it's doing it at least, but this issue seems to be extremely common. I will laugh if we all eventually figure out that is nothing internal at all, but rather the pump vibrating against the bracket that secures it or something. I actually bought a knock off go-pro to mount under the hood to try and get a better recording of the noise, but I've yet to get around to setting that up to do it. Most days, my engine rattle is covered up by the sounds of my kids arguing in the back seat.

chrisscahill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah, I know how you feel. Engine warranty is 60k, so I have a while. I do need to bring it back in and get them to document that it's doing it at least, but this issue seems to be extremely common. I will laugh if we all eventually figure out that is nothing internal at all, but rather the pump vibrating against the bracket that secures it or something. I actually bought a knock off go-pro to mount under the hood to try and get a better recording of the noise, but I've yet to get around to setting that up to do it. Most days, my engine rattle is covered up by the sounds of my kids arguing in the back seat.
That is funny. I mounted a GoPro under my hood for both of my issues with OG engine and 2nd engine. I included those audio files with the exact notated times when the noise was heard and made sure they were attached to the the Ford Engineering case that was opened. If you want me to send them to you for your listenting pleasure I can. Just so you have a reference about the issue I was having.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
That is funny. I mounted a GoPro under my hood for both of my issues with OG engine and 2nd engine. I included those audio files with the exact notated times when the noise was heard and made sure they were attached to the the Ford Engineering case that was opened. If you want me to send them to you for your listenting pleasure I can. Just so you have a reference about the issue I was having.
Heck yeah, I'd love to take a listen. See if it's the same sound. I've frequently wondered if we are all hearing the same thing. You can always upload to youtube too :).
Sponsored