Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Ok so I tried the Ford Performance, they said go back to your dealer. My dealer did nothing. Decided to move on until something happened...

Today as I was getting off the highway on the way to work (normal driving, nothing spirited) my car started shaking violently at idle. I recorded a video that I will upload when I can. Anyways car moves and at the next traffic light, the "press clutch to start" comes on. Car somehow remains started, moves a tiny bit and shuts off completely. Wouldn't start again. I was literally 2 mins from work, so waited, got it to start again and barely drove into my work parking lot. The car was also reving itself up to 2000 RPM by itself, my foot was not on the throttle.

For the time being its parked at work safely, just started shift. Deciding whether to try driving myself or tow it after shift at 2300. If I tow it, where do I tow it? Tried starting it back up and did the same thing. Need help guys.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Ok so I tried the Ford Performance, they said go back to your dealer. My dealer did nothing. Decided to move on until something happened...

Today as I was getting off the highway on the way to work (normal driving, nothing spirited) my car started shaking violently at idle. I recorded a video that I will upload when I can. Anyways car moves and at the next traffic light, the "press clutch to start" comes on. Car somehow remains started, moves a tiny bit and shuts off completely. Wouldn't start again. I was literally 2 mins from work, so waited, got it to start again and barely drove into my work parking lot. The car was also reving itself up to 2000 RPM by itself, my foot was not on the throttle.

For the time being its parked at work safely, just started shift. Deciding whether to try driving myself or tow it after shift at 2300. If I tow it, where do I tow it? Tried starting it back up and did the same thing. Need help guys.
If it was me id try and drive it to the dealership and then show them whats going on. If you guys have roadside then you could call and have them tow it i guess. but for me it would be last resort.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex

Have it towed to the dealer. IF its under warranty it needs to go to them.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I'd call Roadside assistance and have them tow it. Not sure I'd want to try to drive it and risk an accident.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have roadside, are we saying tow it to my original dealer?
Any dealer you want, if the original isnt very helpful find another. but with the issue as clear as you described then they cant say its normal lol

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
yesteday I dropped my car for rattle and ticking. they gave me a F150 at 4miles as a loaner.
this morning I realized it has the 2000rpm rattle too. The tone is different but I am kinda sure it is same rattle

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I have roadside, are we saying tow it to my original dealer?
The salesguy told me Ford will only tow to the closest dealer but I'd call and see what they say - it may be different in Canada.

yesteday I dropped my car for rattle and ticking. they gave me a F150 at 4miles as a loaner.
this morning I realized it has the 2000rpm rattle too. The tone is different but I am kinda sure it is same rattle
I think the 2k rattle @ light throttle is fuel system as it's on all the 5.0's, Mustang and F150. The rattles that are at idle and are throughout the rev range are the ones that are causing issues.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This noise isn't the fuel system it is piston slap. I can hear the fuel system also. This was confirmed when they changed the block and the new motor barely has the noise at all.

More than likely my engine was out of spec. Now it's more in spec.
You got a new long block, thus a new HP fuel pump, correct? I am not convinced my noise is piston slap. If it is, the knock sensors suck.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I think the 2k rattle @ light throttle is fuel system as it's on all the 5.0's, Mustang and F150. The rattles that are at idle and are throughout the rev range are the ones that are causing issues.
After discussing with our FP development guys, I would agree.

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
You got a new long block, thus a new HP fuel pump, correct? I am not convinced my noise is piston slap. If it is, the knock sensors suck.
Long block is just a short block along with oil pan, cylinder heads and cams. The intake parts and fuel systems are carried over from the old engine.

After discussing with our FP development guys, I would agree.
The 2K rattle that is in my video and Big River's video is not the fuel system. It was piston slap. The rattle we hear is not the fuel system tick that is at idle. There are two different noises. 1 is a tick and 1 is more of a "slap" or "rattle" noise.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Long block is just a short block along with oil pan, cylinder heads and cams. The intake parts and fuel systems are carried over from the old engine.

The 2K rattle that is in my video and Big River's video is not the fuel system. It was piston slap. The rattle we hear is not the fuel system tick that is at idle. There are two different noises. 1 is a tick and 1 is more of a "slap" or "rattle" noise.
I have the rattle for sure, but it has never shown up in any datalogging, even when it is so loud I can hear it in the cockpit with windows up.
I think the HP pump is under the valve cover in this engine, so you may have received a new one. Not saying that your issue wasn't piston slap, but it isn't likely my rattle is. The knock sensors should pick this up, if they are functioning correctly. http://blog.jepistons.com/what-is-piston-slap-false-knock

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
The salesguy told me Ford will only tow to the closest dealer but I'd call and see what they say - it may be different in Canada.
My salesguy said the same, guess I'll find out when I call.

Don't think I can safely drive this to the dealership anymore.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I still believe every engine has the noise, especially if the main cause is in the fuel pump/system. Some days I can really hear mine, and others I have to concentrate.
No, not everyone has the ~2k RPM rattle. None of the 2018 GT's that I drove (including my own) had it and I've watched all the rattle videos like BigRivers and mvfjet's. But I do believe everyone has the light ticking at idle that mostly goes away when the car is warm.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
No, not everyone has the ~2k RPM rattle. None of the 2018 GT's that I drove (including my own) had it and I've watched all the rattle videos like BigRivers and mvfjet's. But I do believe everyone has the light ticking at idle that mostly goes away when the car is warm.
I bet the rattle is still there, even if it is barely audible.
Sponsored