Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, that would be awesome; thank you. Actually, I forgot there's another possible source of the rattle: something related to the cam chain, including the phasers... but that'd have to be at the front of the engine. However, I'm almost certain the noise comes where the DI fuel pump is (right side of the engine, and behind), but your experiment will either confirm, or cancel that theory. Looking forward to your report :).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2k-rattle-clue-took-video-in-engine-bay.154355/
Sponsored

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
I have a 2018 GT 5.0 PP1. I purchased the car used with 7K on it. The check engine light came on around 18K or so miles. The DTC Code was P0390 and P0394. Ford performed TSB 18-2360 replacing the sensors for bank 2. No check engine light present since the repair. However, at a musang performance shop, they ran a diagnostic on the engine after installing Ford Performance Calibration kit (Formerly known as power pack III) and a Ford Performance X pipe. The best numbers they could get was 405 WHP. Stock WHP should be around 430. With the new parts and tune, I should be getting around 440 WHP. They noticed that the timing was out almost 7 degrees on those pulls. I took it back to Ford (the car is still under factor ESP), and they said the removed an old code and that there was no timing issue. I took it back to the performance shop. The sill see it about 4 degrees out around 2000-23-2300 RPM and when tipping in. They believe it is a pre-detonation problem. We've emailed back and forth to Ford Performance. They confirmed they sent and I am running the correct tune. The last thing FP determined is that I may have a combustion chamber issue that was pre-existing. One dealership says there is no problem. I'm taking it to another dealership to a reputable mustang tech at Ford to see what he says. I suspect they are playing the "not DTC, no problem" game until my warranty runs out.... I have the data from the local (not Ford) mustang performance shop. I also have the correspondence from Ford Performance. I wish these two (FB and Ford Service) would work together to solve this issue. I spent the money on FP parts to maintain my warranty. I'm not expecting more than Ford advertised and actually proven numbers. But, I am not happy running at 80% WHP. I have the same sound as in the videos here. It may be the reason it was back on the lot with only 7K. At least I was wise enough to purchase the extended warranty and the premium ESP. Hoping for a fix to this. I don't want to pursue lemon or buy back options because I have so much money into the car already and actually love it. I just need them to fix the engine issue. If anyone has had this / these issues. I appreciate some insight. Thanks, Red

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have a 2018 GT 5.0 PP1. I purchased the car used with 7K on it. The check engine light came on around 18K or so miles. The DTC Code was P0390 and P0394. Ford performed TSB 18-2360 replacing the sensors for bank 2. No check engine light present since the repair. However, at a musang performance shop, they ran a diagnostic on the engine after installing Ford Performance Calibration kit (Formerly known as power pack III) and a Ford Performance X pipe. The best numbers they could get was 405 WHP. Stock WHP should be around 430. With the new parts and tune, I should be getting around 440 WHP. They noticed that the timing was out almost 7 degrees on those pulls. I took it back to Ford (the car is still under factor ESP), and they said the removed an old code and that there was no timing issue. I took it back to the performance shop. The sill see it about 4 degrees out around 2000-23-2300 RPM and when tipping in. They believe it is a pre-detonation problem. We've emailed back and forth to Ford Performance. They confirmed they sent and I am running the correct tune. The last thing FP determined is that I may have a combustion chamber issue that was pre-existing. One dealership says there is no problem. I'm taking it to another dealership to a reputable mustang tech at Ford to see what he says. I suspect they are playing the "not DTC, no problem" game until my warranty runs out.... I have the data from the local (not Ford) mustang performance shop. I also have the correspondence from Ford Performance. I wish these two (FB and Ford Service) would work together to solve this issue. I spent the money on FP parts to maintain my warranty. I'm not expecting more than Ford advertised and actually proven numbers. But, I am not happy running at 80% WHP. I have the same sound as in the videos here. It may be the reason it was back on the lot with only 7K. At least I was wise enough to purchase the extended warranty and the premium ESP. Hoping for a fix to this. I don't want to pursue lemon or buy back options because I have so much money into the car already and actually love it. I just need them to fix the engine issue. If anyone has had this / these issues. I appreciate some insight. Thanks, Red
I started a thread about my knocking sound. My engine has not thrown any codes though. I have not dyno'd it to determine what power I am making. I'm still trying to determine from my data logs WTF is going on. Also running the Ford tune. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...t-with-ford-tune-no-codes.181674/post-3662631

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1

Sponsored

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Yes - check this thread. My car is 100% fixed. It took 3 months but i got a new engine and its great. Happy to answer any questions. the key is persistence.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rattle-update-2018-gt.166652/
Thanks, I would describe it as a fluttering sound at around 2000-2300 RPM or when I'm letting off the gas between shifts before I apply throttle. I appreciate the TSB. I'll mention this when I take it back in. I'll also try to get someone to ride with me to hear what I'm hearing.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Is yours a 6 speed or automatic?
Auto - mine sounds like heat shield rattle, but only did it when revving between 2-3k rpm. I could recreate at will.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Auto - mine sounds like heat shield rattle, but only did it when revving between 2-3k rpm. I could recreate at will.
Okay, thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a fix or a new engine. Has Ford ever put it on the dyno?

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Okay, thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a fix or a new engine. Has Ford ever put it on the dyno?
No. This dealership is a little behind when it comes to tech.

Sponsored

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
No. This dealership is a little behind when it comes to tech.
Yeah, I have to take it to the performance shop here, then to Ford. Also call Ford Racing (Performance). Just wish they would run their own dyno and computer diagnostic....

Reactions: Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I have to take it to the performance shop here, then to Ford. Also call Ford Racing (Performance). Just wish they would run their own dyno and computer diagnostic....
I got lucky and the tech heard it and agreed it was an issue. 3 cam phaser and an engine changes its finally fixed. I drive the snot out of it too...

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Finally found a mustang tech/ dealership that agreed with me. Noisy and underpowered. Either a compression or a timing problem. They are going to look into spark/ compression/ and scope it. They are thinking a new block might be in order... more to follow and keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ock