2018 GT Airbag light on cluster

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
So I believe I found the issue and it's not even an actual airbag sensor. This light came on after I replaced my dome/map lights. There's a small sensor on in between the two lights for the passenger airbag light on/off status. That connection was loose. Once I secured it and restarted the car the airbag light was gone. Dumb mistake, but I used to swap the dome lights on my 16 ecoboost like once a month just for different color looks and never had that issue since that sensor never became dislodged.
Sponsored

Joeyalfonsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just picked up a 2016 Mustang GT premium with 24k milked on it and it had the airbag light coming on occasionally and especially when left out I’m the sun. I just replaced the dome light assembly and left the car outside in 100° and the light didn’t come on. I’ll keep you posted. The dealership quoted me $400+ for the fix but I did it myself with a $45 eBay take-off.

BranoSK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
2015 gt 22k miles airbag light pop up today ( the same hot day car were on sun )

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If that dome light is a solution, I'll be damned. I had light come one three times now. First time, dealership replaced passenger airbag. Second time, it went away and they weren't able to find any codes. Now it showed up for the third time and I'm getting tired of it...

OBD scanner with CAN bus access doesn't seem to be able to read DTCs related to SRS system, I think it requires Ford diagnostic tool... But before I deal with dealership, I'll check that dome light...

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
FORScan can read them, no?
Edit - yes, turns out it does and I have no idea why I didn't think about it - thanks a lot.

Code is B0004 - Drivers Knee Airbag Circuit Open. Ugh. Lots of work to get to it.

Last edited:

Joeyalfonsi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve had the new done light assembly in for almost a month and have had the car parked outside daily and the light has not come back on. Find a take off assembly on eBay and do that. Ford told me it was the airbag jewel which was the little light thing in the assembly that shows if the passenger airbag is on. But I just replaced the whole assembly.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
My Airbag light came 3 months ago at 15,000 miles on my 19. I took it to Ford under warranty and it had code B0001:13-88. (open circuit in the air bag deployment circuit) Long story short - they replaced the clock spring in the steering wheel and it was fixed.

As a tech myself, i do not believe they "do not have a fix" Demand one from the service manager - or better yet, find another dealer that has someone more competent to be able to give you the repair you deserve.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
FORScan can read them, no?
Got to say thank you again - you saved me a lot of mental health since I won't have to (at least for now) deal with dealership.
Ran Forscan, found it was drivers knee airbag circuit open - reached out and found a plug, wiggled it (was little loose), light is gone.

I will take all this apart and make sure it doesn't happen again when I have time to deal with it in the fall season (since I will be taking other things apart) but for now at least that light is gone.
Thanks again.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My pleasure, brother :). Glad I saved you, and your car, a dreaded trip to a dealer:like:. In my personal experience, EVERY time I've taken a car to a dealer, something has happened to them, from scuffs, scrapes, dings, scratches, or even chips.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

pawl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My pleasure, brother :). Glad I saved you, and your car, a dreaded trip to a dealer:like:. In my personal experience, EVERY time I've taken a car to a dealer, something has happened to them, from scuffs, scrapes, dings, scratches, or even chips.
New to the forums, but thank you for this too! Dealership wanted me to pay $200 to “diagnose” the airbag light. Reached down my drivers side dash and felt that the connector was loose as well, and airbag light is gone! Much appreciated brother!

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
New to the forums, but thank you for this too! Dealership wanted me to pay $200 to “diagnose” the airbag light. Reached down my drivers side dash and felt that the connector was loose as well, and airbag light is gone! Much appreciated brother!
Also new to the forums, and I hate to necro a thread on my first post but...

Does anyone recall which specific connector they tightened? I've just had this light come on for me and frankly, I don't want to let my dealership's half-ass service department have my car for a week again if it could be this quick of a fix.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Also new to the forums, and I hate to necro a thread on my first post but...

Does anyone recall which specific connector they tightened? I've just had this light come on for me and frankly, I don't want to let my dealership's half-ass service department have my car for a week again if it could be this quick of a fix.
In my case it was driver's knee airbag - it's behind the panel right below the steering wheel from what I recall - but Forscan should tell you exactly where the fault is.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
In my case it was driver's knee airbag - it's behind the panel right below the steering wheel from what I recall - but Forscan should tell you exactly where the fault is.
Yeah, mine's showing driver's knee airbag through Fordpass. I can grab up Forscan to confirm if needed, but fairly certain that's the one. I'll climb up under there with my phone in the AM, see what I can see.

Thanks!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah, mine's showing driver's knee airbag through Fordpass. I can grab up Forscan to confirm if needed, but fairly certain that's the one. I'll climb up under there with my phone in the AM, see what I can see.

Thanks!
I remember reaching around and finding it pretty much blindly - it is not too far in from what I remember. Good luck !
Sponsored