2018 GT A10 Power Band

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After owning my 2018 for about 7 months, I have "postulated" a seat of the pants power band. Mine is 100% stock, I know it's not a torque monster (I had a torque monster many moons ago), but this is my assessment of the real world power band:

* Idle to 2,000 rpm - easily keeps up with the flow of traffic
* 2K to 3K - puts you way ahead of traffic
* 3K to 4K - speeding ticket territory
* 4K to 6K - speeding ticket, possible jail time
* 6K to 7K+ - definite jail time, possible loss of license, car impounded, major premium spike or loss of insurance

Hope I can stay out of jail, not have my car impounded, and keep my insurance. Just my .02 cents worth. Hard to imagine this thing with FI.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
It is difficult to stay out of the power when it's only an inch further down on the loud pedal. Heavy traffic keeps me legal though..
**Edit.. Just seen you were talking about the A10 (duh). Still easy to get in trouble!

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'm well behaved in traffic. It's those back road 'I dare ya's' that get me in trouble. :sunglasses:

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
freeway on ramps are my kryptonite. I step on it just a little to get up to freeway speed and when I look down i'm in felony territory on the speedo

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
After owning my 2018 for about 7 months, I have "postulated" a seat of the pants power band. Mine is 100% stock, I know it's not a torque monster (I had a torque monster many moons ago), but this is my assessment of the real world power band:

* 6K to 7K+ - definite jail time, possible loss of license, car impounded, major premium spike or loss of insurance

Hope I can stay out of jail, not have my car impounded, and keep my insurance. Just my .02 cents worth. Hard to imagine this thing with FI.

Question: You do know there is a 2nd gear... right?

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Question: You do know there is a 2nd gear... right?

Yep, it's between 1st and 3rd, right where it's always been:like:

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mikthehum1,

I agree, especially when you are in Sport+ mode.

As an ex-transmission builder, I am amazed at how far the automatic trans has progressed.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Brought some American 8-cylinder Freedom to Mexico on my way home from my brother-in-laws house. With the a10, you don't worry about the powerband. You will always be in it, no matter what speed you are going. Anyone who complains about the lack of "low end torque" doesn't know where the end of their right foot is. Happy birthday, America!
Anyone who says there isn't a lack of low end torque hasn't driven any of the other V8's. A 6.4L 392 makes gobs of torque down low, starting at 1500-2000 rpms and only 10 % throttle input to really feel it. Now having E85 tune, headers, xpipe, ported manifold and throttle body, the torque down low still doesn't come on strong as my old 392 did. Which is ok, I'm used to all the power being made over 4k now, it's just not as "street fun" as 392s.

Sponsored

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
I forgot that we only part-throttle magazine roll race around these parts. Driven plenty of v8s, new and old. I'll take a high-revving engine over a lazy pushrod any day. I'm having plenty of "street fun", thank you very much!
Yeah, because people only go WOT from stoplight to stoplight. That's quite an extreme to make up for the lack of low end grunt. Which is funny, I've encountered plenty of people like you who I passed easily in my old 392, just driving normally minding my own business, and all of a sudden I hear their exhaust come alive because they hit the hammer. Apparently they don't like getting passed casually because their car doesn't have the torque to keep up. Is that what you do also? lol

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Anyone who says there isn't a lack of low end torque hasn't driven any of the other V8's. A 6.4L 392 makes gobs of torque down low, starting at 1500-2000 rpms and only 10 % throttle input to really feel it. Now having E85 tune, headers, xpipe, ported manifold and throttle body, the torque down low still doesn't come on strong as my old 392 did. Which is ok, I'm used to all the power being made over 4k now, it's just not as "street fun" as 392s.
as a former 6.4 owner I agree.

macrosssaga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT non-PP A10

After my Lund flex tune and E85, my car has great low-end grunt with the A10 and 3.15 gears!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yeah, because people only go WOT from stoplight to stoplight. That's quite an extreme to make up for the lack of low end grunt. Which is funny, I've encountered plenty of people like you who I passed easily in my old 392, just driving normally minding my own business, and all of a sudden I hear their exhaust come alive because they hit the hammer. Apparently they don't like getting passed casually because their car doesn't have the torque to keep up. Is that what you do also? lol
Stop. Your mighty 392 aint sh!t. And this preceived feeling of torque. Was all in your head. 2016 scat pack. Zero to sixty in 4.2 seconds. 2018 mustang GT. Zero to sixty in 3.9 seconds. So tell me that story about how you pass people with ease again. The only reason you passed a GT. Was because they let you. Your gonna have to join the EcoBoost part throttle racing league. With that 10% throttle nonsense.:crackup::crackup:What happens when you go to 20%? You throw the Earth off its axis with all that torque? Next thing your gonna say is your scat pack felt nimble. Right?

Last edited:

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip over 3 days up to the White Mountains in NH and learned a lot about the power delivery of my stock '19 GT PP1 A10. While the 5.0 is an amazing engine and makes nice power across the RPM range compared to normal cars, there's a distinct power band that kicks in higher up in the rev range. It's just the character of this motor. It likes to rev and past 4-5k RPM you feel the hard push into your seat at WOT. For me it was noticeable enough on this trip to help me make the decision to go Whipple over a centrifugal setup when I eventually add boost to the car. I've always gone back and forth on this before, but I'd like more low end torque.

On hilly roads, up in the mountains while following traffic, I kept the A10 in Sport or Sport+ to keep the engine from lugging because in normal drive mode the A10 loves to go to 10th gear as fast as it can and there's just not enough grunt down at 1,000-1,500 RPM in the hills. She could do it but the motor was working harder than it needed to. I found it was much better in 8th and closer to 1,800-2,300 RPM. This compared to a 343ci or 392ci Hemi that will chug along up a hill like a steam engine at only 1,000 RPM.

Final thought, once you and the A10 learn each other you can do a lot in terms of shift gears with just the gas pedal. A lot of auto's don't respond as well as I find the A10 does to changes in throttle position. By varying how fast and far you hit the gas, you can get from 10 to 8 smoothly to make an easy pass, 10-6 smoothly to make a quick pass, or a quick stab at the gas pedal with get you a HARD (and damn, I mean hard) shift from 10-6 that moves you away FAST.
Sponsored