Sponsored

2018 GT A10 jerking into gear

Kbru14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT
My valve body was replaced today as far as I know. We'll see tomorrow. 18 GT. Mine was lunging, reving, sputtering, dying, ticking.... it also stopped making me sandwiches.
Mine lunges and revs as well....the others not yet. Anxious to see what the dealership finds.
Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you bought the 2018 new, yes, it’s fully warranted and you’re not expected to pay ANYTHING out of pocket.

This has been a known issue and just as of recently, GM Owners have started a class action suit against GM for their 8-SPR tans that is doinghe same thing - extremely hard shifts when driving, when coming to a stop and lurching/jerking when putting it into gear. Check the thread I put up in the Lougensecitin on here that has the GM CA details.

The 10R80 has the following known issues, that is not affecting all, but for most who belong to this forum, there’s been a few threads like this one.

Issues:
Bad valve body
Bad 2 clutch pack
Low trans fluid (yes, some folks have had their Dealership and DIYers discover the trans was low on fluid from the factory)
Trans reflash (this has solved the issue for most.

The valve body and 2gear issue are the most extreme problems, where in some cases members have reported that the transmission was replaced under warranty because iternal damage was extreme resulting from failure of those items.

I also have a 10R80 thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here that has all of the current S550 10R80 Ford docs pertaining to known issues.
Just bought a 2018 GT Premium Convertible with the 10 speed. It has 38k miles and when I test drove it the car had a firm, wouldn't call it a really hard shift, from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. It was cold and the car had been sitting for a few days or so and that's what I chalked it up to. All the other gears when it shifts are so smooth I can't hardly tell it shifts at all. Anyways I have been driving it for a couple days now and even when warmed up it still seems to have that rough shift, almost a jump, from 1 to 2. I called the ford dealer back and have it scheduled to reflash the transmission. Does this seem like the right place to start? I don't think it's normal and have been trying to do a bunch of research so I'm going to ask them to also check the condition and fluid level as well. I'm hoping its nothing major but since it's still under the factory powertrain warranty I should be ok even if it needs a new or a rebuild of the tranny. Thoughts?

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a 2018 GT Premium Convertible with the 10 speed. It has 38k miles and when I test drove it the car had a firm, wouldn't call it a really hard shift, from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. It was cold and the car had been sitting for a few days or so and that's what I chalked it up to. All the other gears when it shifts are so smooth I can't hardly tell it shifts at all. Anyways I have been driving it for a couple days now and even when warmed up it still seems to have that rough shift, almost a jump, from 1 to 2. I called the ford dealer back and have it scheduled to reflash the transmission. Does this seem like the right place to start? I don't think it's normal and have been trying to do a bunch of research so I'm going to ask them to also check the condition and fluid level as well. I'm hoping its nothing major but since it's still under the factory powertrain warranty I should be ok even if it needs a new or a rebuild of the tranny. Thoughts?
Definitely a good place to start. I had rough shifting and a reflash fixed all my issues. HOWEVER, my rough shifting has returned, and I actually believe that there is an issue with one of the clutches. Sometimes if I brake too hard or brake unevenly (lift off the brake, and then get back on it more firmly) the 4-5 shift will nearly lock the tires and there is a very loud metal clanking sound. It's almost like something is breaking. Also, in manual mode, when I upshift from 4-5, it almost acts like a manual if you can't find the gear, like there's a momentary neutral where the rpms fly upward if you're on the gas.

I've asked Gary Yeoman to simply check the transmission fluid level while the car is up in the air (because some A10 owners had very low fluid, which could cause some bad shifts) for the past 3 service visits, and they never have.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Definitely a good place to start. I had rough shifting and a reflash fixed all my issues. HOWEVER, my rough shifting has returned, and I actually believe that there is an issue with one of the clutches. Sometimes if I brake too hard or brake unevenly (lift off the brake, and then get back on it more firmly) the 4-5 shift will nearly lock the tires and there is a very loud metal clanking sound. It's almost like something is breaking. Also, in manual mode, when I upshift from 4-5, it almost acts like a manual if you can't find the gear, like there's a momentary neutral where the rpms fly upward if you're on the gas.

I've asked Gary Yeoman to simply check the transmission fluid level while the car is up in the air (because some A10 owners had very low fluid, which could cause some bad shifts) for the past 3 service visits, and they never have.
Ok well the sales mgr is going back to service now to see if they can reflash today and I'll ask the tech if he can check the fluid levels too. Sorry to hear your having issues sou minds serious

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Been driving it all morning in normal drive mode and shifts flawlessly. Don't want to jinx myself but I think it was doing it normal mode too but mainly the first 2 days I drove it in wet/snow mode because it had been raining. So i was wondering about adding some friction modifier to the tranny good or bad idea?

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Been driving it all morning in normal drive mode and shifts flawlessly. Don't want to jinx myself but I think it was doing it normal mode too but mainly the first 2 days I drove it in wet/snow mode because it had been raining. So i was wondering about adding some friction modifier to the tranny good or bad idea?
so did they reflash and/or check the fluid level?

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
so did they reflash and/or check the fluid level?
No not yet. Just weird. Only thing I can think of is this new technology learned my habits or maybe since it had been sitting a while before I bought it that maybe the driving I've been doing has helped lube things up better idk. Still going to have it reflashed and the levels checked. Can't be any worse than my 2 6.7 powerstroke diesels.

london5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omer
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0, Overfinch Sport SVR
Hey Guys!

Got a 2018 GT A10 in the UK showing the exact same problem. Done about 7K miles and whenever I put into D or R from P , the car jerks violently.

Dropped it off at the dealer and have heard back that it needs a new gearbox (they have had the car for 3 weeks!). Ford UK being very slow with authorising warranty claim. Very annoyed as they are just putting me in a Kuga rental after 3 weeks!.

will keep you guys posted !

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys!

Got a 2018 GT A10 in the UK showing the exact same problem. Done about 7K miles and whenever I put into D or R from P , the car jerks violently.

Dropped it off at the dealer and have heard back that it needs a new gearbox (they have had the car for 3 weeks!). Ford UK being very slow with authorising warranty claim. Very annoyed as they are just putting me in a Kuga rental after 3 weeks!.

will keep you guys posted !
Wow you're lucky. I wish Ford would've decided to replace my transmission. I had this issue when I got the car, since that got fixed I've had a list of other issues when you that Ford won't even look at or acknowledge. My 4-3 downshift feels like the car is bucking. My 4-5 upshift sends my rpms up to 5k before shifting and it slams me towards the steering wheel.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I bought a 2018 RS2 A10 with 5,700 miles on it, built in October of 17. Most of the time in normal drive mode it's smooth, my only issue is it wants to skyrocket to 10th gear and it feels like I'm driving a car with zero guts unless I really get into it. It holds the revs much better with the lever in S, but then it turns into a different animal transmission smoothness wise. It's not entirely consistent, and it's not like some of the horror stories here about nearly breaking traction, but the shifts are HARD. Especially downshifts. They are more noticeable when I'm using the paddles and downshifting at higher RPM's, but it definitely bucks the car. In Sport and Track modes you feel those hard shifts a lot more. Not sure if it's just the nature of the beast or what. I've wanted to put some miles on it before doing anything, to allow the learning process to occur. Now I have about 7,300 on it so I believe that would be enough time and I haven't noticed a big difference.

I'm considering either a Roush or FP level 1 kit. For the Roush it's just the CAI and throttle mapping tune, no transmission changes. For the FP which I'm leaning towards, it gives you the Bullitt throttle body, throttle and transmission mapping tune and CAI. Numbers and cost are relatively close, but with FP you get the trans tune and throttle body. But it makes me wonder, if I went with the Roush and got a factory re-flash of the transmission, would those work in tandem? I assume so if the Roush does not mess with the trans mapping at all, so maybe the best of both worlds? Minus the bigger throttle body provided with the FP tune. Decisions, decisions...

london5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omer
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0, Overfinch Sport SVR
Update to my post:

So the past few months have been really interesting!! As mentioned in my previous post, Ford UK finally accepted my warranty claim (after keeping the car for almost a month and a half), a week and a half ago I was informed that the gearbox was on its way from Germany and that I should have the car back by the end of the week. HOWEVER!
After calling them for an update last week on Friday I was informed that they now require a screw to drop the engine to fit the new gearbox. This elusive screw is on back order from the States and will take 3 more weeks to arrive !! (Minimum). I asked them if I could have the car back but have been told it’s in pieces (gearbox dismantled etc).
It’ll be about 4 months that the car will now be with at Ford (upon completion) any advise would be appreciated as to what i should now do !!
Sponsored