2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
^^ bumping this... wondering if anyone has found a fix for this or just decided its how it's gonna be. I was planning to take it to ford next week but just thinking I'm wasting my time.
I think it's the crappy clutch design and that's just the way it's going to have be.
Sponsored

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
They replaced the shift forks under warranty but it had nothing to do with the grinding noise. I still have that noise
Thanks for the reply. Guess there is no fix. I read somewhere someone said a short shifter fixed it. Not sure if that's true or not

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Thanks for the reply. Guess there is no fix. I read somewhere someone said a short shifter fixed it. Not sure if that's true or not
Not true. I have MGW X-Spec but the annoying grind is still present. I think it's just the crap design

There's a fix though - driver mod ;) If I change the way I usually shift, I can avoid the noise. I have to let go of the clutch completely and then apply throttle. It's hard shifting that way so I just live with the noise

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If by grind, you mean the nibble during the 2-3 shift, my 2019 Bullitt has that too and I only have 5K miles on it. It’s done it ever since it was brand new.

Sponsored

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
If by grind, you mean the nibble during the 2-3 shift, my 2019 Bullitt has that too and I only have 5K miles on it. It’s done it ever since it was brand new.
Yes. But only about 5000 rpm... ya its a weird noise... maybe grind isn't the proper name. And yes it's only when you release clutch and feather the gas at same time.. if you let clutch out completely before giving it gas then it won't do it. And if your slamming gears it won't do it..... I've come to just either drive it hard and slam the gears... or just it easy and keep rpm below 4000 when just smooth driving. Shouldn't have to drive like that but that's how I avoid the noise

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Here's a video that I took last year to illustrate the grind noise to dealership

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That sounds different that my 2-3 shift nibble. Not sure what that sound is.

raab02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP2
Hey y'all, happy to hear that this is likely one more "normal" noise from these cars.

My '18 PP2 has done this since I bought it with 1700 miles. Not improved/changed by Steeda Clutch Spring, Blowfish Racing Bracket, Ford Performance Short Shift Kit, 1pc Al driveshaft, or BG fluid. Now at 13.5k and still doing it.

I had considered taking my car in, but likely won't since many seem to think this is expected of twin disc clutches. If I did, I'd probably just risk them saying that shifter bracket and driveshaft being a problem for warranty.

Dumb question - Has anyone linked this noise to the "Engine/Transmission Plate" rattle? Here are two threads that detail that noise.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hen-accelerating-hard-above-4000k-rpm.107728/

Although those threads are primarily 5.2L cars, the circumstances of the noise on this thread seem to align with the placement of the plate in those threads. Meaning the right combination of revs right after a shift could get this thing setting up a racket.

All of that said, the twin disc intel seems pretty solid, but worth bringing up.

astronaut45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Mach 1
This is the best thread I've ever found 😂 I just picked up an 18 as a DD and after 12 years of driving manuals suddenly felt like I was slipping the clutch like an amateur when pushing it. Glad to know it's a feature.

Sponsored

Heater26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
This is the best thread I've ever found 😂 I just picked up an 18 as a DD and after 12 years of driving manuals suddenly felt like I was slipping the clutch like an amateur when pushing it. Glad to know it's a feature.
Hahaha. Yes it's an excellent feature. Hahah. I'm from Canada and car has been stored in the garage for the past 5 months. Hopefully taking it out if the garage this weekend for the summer... can't wait to hear that feature. Hahahha.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My '18 PP2 has done this since I bought it with 1700 miles.
then you're not waiting for the RPMs to drop before letting the clutch out. Find someone to help you learn to drive better. It's not harmful to the clutch (slightly increased wear), just poor driver skill.
Sponsored