bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm thinking Charger 392 Daytona. My wife wanted me to get a sedan anyway. I think the engine rattle drives me more crazy than the clutch grind though. When it's echoing off of walls there's no way that can be normal.

I love the Mustang though minus the quirks. I'm bummed out.
That sucks, man. You were waiting forever for that car..
Sponsored

G_Money_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PREM PP
If they deem it normal on my car also then I don't want a car that does a grinding noise on spirited driving. I can imagine these things blowing up and Ford not covering the clutch assembly under warranty.

Exactly how I feel.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
No engine rattle or clutch grind for you?
None. Just the standard GDI ticks, mostly when cold. Only noise from the clutch/trans is a whirring noise when I am accelerating higher in the RPM range in 1st and 2nd. I attribute that to something with the dual mass flywheel (maybe). I will certainly take trans or clutch issues over engine issues. I am at almost 1900 miles.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Service Advisor texted me today that I can come pick up the car. Per the field service engineer’s instructions, they didn’t replace the clutch and flywheel. I had a conference call with the service manager and the regional customer service manager and we agreed for me to come in and have the service manager drive the car to duplicate the issue (keep in mind I already did a road test with the shop foreman who heard the grinding while I was driving) and then we will compare with another 2018 6MT GT Performance pack on the lot.

The engine is still knocking and the shop foreman has opened a case with the hotline for this issue as well. They want me to take the car with me once I come in for the comparison test while they wait to hear from the hotline. I don’t plan on being dependent on a car which sounds like it’s 20 miles away from a catastrophic failure, especially when I have a 350 mile work trip this week.

Sponsored

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Service Advisor texted me today that I can come pick up the car. Per the field service engineer’s instructions, they didn’t replace the clutch and flywheel. I had a conference call with the service manager and the regional customer service manager and we agreed for me to come in and have the service manager drive the car to duplicate the issue (keep in mind I already did a road test with the shop foreman who heard the grinding while I was driving) and then we will compare with another 2018 6MT GT Performance pack on the lot.

The engine is still knocking and the shop foreman has opened a case with the hotline for this issue as well. They want me to take the car with me once I come in for the comparison test while they wait to hear from the hotline. I don’t plan on being dependent on a car which sounds like it’s 20 miles away from a catastrophic failure, especially when I have a 350 mile work trip this week.
Wow that is fucked up if the shop foreman heard the grinding and they still don't believe it. Maybe have another dealer take a look.

Lost240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So I am currently sitting at the dealer. I have the same exact clutch grinding issue. Clutch in/out between 5000-5500 rpms and there is a grind that you can hear and feel. The tech called the Ford hotline and was advised to drive another one on the lot and compare. He also took me for a ride. It makes the same exact noise. So now the tech/dealer deems this as normal. This is not normal. Where do I go from here? Has anyone had this resolved?

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So I am currently sitting at the dealer. I have the same exact clutch grinding issue. Clutch in/out between 5000-5500 rpms and there is a grind that you can hear and feel. The tech called the Ford hotline and was advised to drive another one on the lot and compare. He also took me for a ride. It makes the same exact noise. So now the tech/dealer deems this as normal. This is not normal. Where do I go from here? Has anyone had this resolved?
I don't think Ford will be fixing this issue going forward. It looks like engineering got involved and said it's normal, so the hotline and the dealers will be going by that with any future claims. Basically everyone with this problem is screwed. Even if it doesn't have any impact on performance/reliability, it's definitely not normal for such a big automaker to ship a car with an NVH issue like this. I'll be interesting to see if the 2019s have this problem as well.

My car has sat at the dealer for 32 days now while waiting on a flywheel/clutch in May (which won't even get replaced) and now for the engine knock, so I will be pursuing a buyback.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Lucky bastard. My dealer said all is normal so I'll be trying to blow my shift forks to pursue a buy back then.
You should have kept the sister car of mine. That must have been a good week.

Lost240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine was built in April and the clutch grinds

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yea yours was built at the end of November right? My buddies 2018 which was built December 3rd or 4th is rattle free too. Bummer.
Same week as your original order. I wonder what changed. A lot of the shop cars out there are November/December builds, and I haven't heard of many issues from them.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Get a second opinion and test drive a few more new cars. My GT did not have the clutch grind.

G_Money_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PREM PP
Well I've got a quick update.

I've got 3,200 miles on the clock. Car has been driven hard, but not beat on since about 500 miles.

I've got two facts to share:

- The problem is still there, and is still easily repeatable under the same conditions.

- The amount of NVH with each instance is maybe 50% of what it was when I had only 600 miles on the car.

Is it wearing in, or wearing out? :shrug: Draw your own conclusions.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
My car was built in April. 2018 GT 6 speed. Mine does this too.

Edit: Some of the performance guys I know around here think this is a common characteristic of a twin disc clutch. They are very noisy. In fact they are surprised it doesn't make more noise under different circumstances. This isn't an exact quote but from what I gathered is that a slight noise during shifts is normal because of the twin discs. Something along the lines of "the discs float when not under pressure (clutch disengaged) and then they both engage at very slight different times as one catches and the other is still floating and tries to catch up."

Last edited:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
My issue has gotten worse. It used to grind at above 5500 RPM. But now I feel a grind over 3000 and maybe even 2500, no noise though. If that is a normal twin disc clutch characteristic, then that's whack.
Sponsored