Sponsored

2018+ gen 3 coyote cams

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Anyone working on cams, I'm wondering if fuel lobe size can be increased for more fueling on the direct injection side and if higher intake lift/duration can be achieved for higher rpm power. like 8500 rpm shifts with a cobra jet setup (once tuning for the throttle bodies has been figured out).

I can call comp on monday, but I figured I'd ask first here.
Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Gen3 coyotes dont need to have anything on the DI side of the fuel systems changed at all. If you need more fuel use the port injection to fulfill the need.

Gen3 coyotes use DI and port injection, i dont see any reason to mess with the DI side plus its way more expensive that just adding to the port injection side.

Only the GM cars are screwed when they need more fuel since thats a DI only engine.

OP
OP

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Gen3 coyotes dont need to have anything on the DI side of the fuel systems changed at all. If you need more fuel use the port injection to fulfill the need.

Gen3 coyotes use DI and port injection, i dont see any reason to mess with the DI side plus its way more expensive that just adding to the port injection side.

Only the GM cars are screwed when they need more fuel since thats a DI only engine.
So port injection is nice, but the goal is still to offer the most from the DI side as possible as DI will allow for higher compression. The reason you see 93 boosted 18's making 660-680 is because they run out of DI and rely on the port side more which doesn't offer the cooling benefit of DI.

So if you're going to do cams for performance you might as well get a cam with a larger fuel lobe anyways. Assuming that will even be a thing as it's possible ford already sized the fuel lobe perfectly.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I think there are a few things here.

A. You are making it too complicated here.

B. Alex from VMP has already mentioned tuners basically not using the DI system for added fuel needs at all. And even more importantly its cheaper and easier to address fuel needs on the port side.

C. You dont really need bigger lobes you would need a DI fuel pump that flows more. Look at the ecoboosts for example they can just change the DI pump to increase fuel capacity while still using STOCK cams. I am 100% confident the Gen3 Coyote will be the same or go back to what I already said and rely on the port injection for added fuel needs.

D. It will be interesting to see what happens with aftermarket 2018 gen3 coyote cams my money is the fuel lobe profile stays the same and people just use same DI pump or aftermarket pump that flows more.

Last edited:

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
http://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories...pressure-pump-unlocks-direct-injection-gains/

Suggested reading.

Here ya go. Ecoboost but youll get the idea here. Cams are NOT changed DI fuel pump and injectors are. I 100% expect the same type of support to come out for the gen3 coyote.

"With the addition of the Xtreme DI pump and DeatschWerks injectors, the EcoBoost Mustang can be tuned up for running straight E85. The gains with this combination are significant. Adam Browne, of Revolution Automotive, extracted massive gains on this Mustang. It picked up in excess of 126 horsepower and 104 lb-ft of torque, which are gains you can definitely feel"

Sponsored

OP
OP

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
http://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories...pressure-pump-unlocks-direct-injection-gains/

Suggested reading.

Here ya go. Ecoboost but youll get the idea here. Cams are NOT changed DI fuel pump and injectors are. I 100% expect the same type of support to come out for the gen3 coyote.

"With the addition of the Xtreme DI pump and DeatschWerks injectors, the EcoBoost Mustang can be tuned up for running straight E85. The gains with this combination are significant. Adam Browne, of Revolution Automotive, extracted massive gains on this Mustang. It picked up in excess of 126 horsepower and 104 lb-ft of torque, which are gains you can definitely feel"
Yeah a few of the ecoboost guys tested the xtreme di and were not impressed. They are too expensive. guess we'll wait and see.

OP
OP

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
But cams are cheap? :doh:
bruh, did you read what I posted, I never mentioned about doing cams for more fuel. I said doing cams for performance, and if you're going to swap them you may as well get a fuel lobe option if it exists. Calm down and take your negativity elsewhere please, you've already expressed your opinion enough.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Itll be aftermarket cams and DI pumps and Injectors.

No reason to get mad. I posted you information backing up my reason to believe as such.

OP
OP

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Itll be aftermarket cams and DI pumps and Injectors.

No reason to get mad. I posted you information backing up my reason to believe as such.
I'm not mad, I've built numerous ecoboost cars including my 500whp focus st, xtreme-di offered me a partial sponsorship and I turned it down 6 months ago. I've seen some people try it and for the price it's not shown a significant improvement. I shouldn't even have mentioned fueling in my original post because I'm more interested in power gains not fuel. It was just a side want. Now I have a thread with off topic posts in it.

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I should have been more clear about it.
The performance aspect of the 2018s i dont think will be much different than the gen2s cam wise anways. Obviously higher compression and DI will benefit it too.

Being a big NA fan myself I still want to see a Comp S3 cams, CJ IM, Long tubes, and E85 Gen3 coyote build myself.

2018 hoods be damned lower the engine, cut the hood, stick a cowl on it whatever to make a CJ fit.

Id like to see how deep into the 10s a NA car could get.

Start looking at 5 figures for some of these FI kits and sometimes I have to wonder do people realize just how much 5 freaking figures buys for bolt ons, cams, chassis, brakes, and big and littles with that kind of coin?!!

Deep 10s All motor will always impresses me way more than a 5 figure FI car running 10s!

OP
OP

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The performance aspect of the 2018s i dont think will be much different than the gen2s cam wise anways. Obviously higher compression and DI will benefit it too.

Being a big NA fan myself I still want to see a Comp S3 cams, CJ IM, Long tubes, and E85 Gen3 coyote build myself.

2018 hoods be damned lower the engine, cut the hood, stick a cowl on it whatever to make a CJ fit.

Id like to see how deep into the 10s a NA car could get.

Start looking at 5 figures for some of these FI kits and sometimes I have to wonder do people realize just how much 5 freaking figures buys for bolt ons, cams, chassis, brakes, and big and littles with that kind of coin?!!

Deep 10s All motor will always impresses me way more than a 5 figure FI car running 10s!
The CJ fits, just waiting for lund to get the 11-14 GT throttle electronics working for the monoblade. I had a 800whp 16 gt 6r80 procharged and a 640 whp phase 2 roush 16 gt mt82 and I'm torn between boostworks twins or N/A. I'm highly considering N/A right now because lund already made 500~whp on longtubes/cai/resonator delete and e85 on an 18 auto. The cj picks up 30 rwhp over the gt350 intake on a shelby gt350 as shown by AED. So with a full 3" cat less system it's not hard to believe 540 whp is impossible N/A and with cams who knows, maybe 570-600whp. We'll have to wait and see.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
550-600whp NA would be killer.

Put the rest of the cash into the chassis for suspension, lightweight brakes, big and littles.

Best of all not having to worry about a ticking time bomb under the hood or having a giant paper weight.

NA build should be pretty drama free.
Sponsored